Meet The Meters: Time for a new pH/PPM meter - Help me pick!

Hey everyone, I am in the market for a new meter and have my eye on a few makes and models in particular. Figured I would post and see what others have experienced and any recommendations or insight would be greatly appreciated. Side Note: I will be growing in soil this go around.

First on the list:
Hanna Combo pH/EC/TDS/C/PPM Tester HI98129

I was using this model over 10 years ago when I was a hydro grower. It served its purpose, never really gave me any issues, some may frown on combo pens but I followed manufacturers instructions to the T and everything seemed to be all good. However, this pen, and assuming the tech is well over a decade old so I decided to look into other options.

Second on the list:
Apera Instruments, LLC-AI3719 PC60-Z Bluetooth Multi-Parameter Smart Tester Powered by ZenTest Mobile App, Measuring pH/Conductivity/TDS/Salinity/Resistivity/Temp.

When I was using the Hanna, back when tigers use to smoke, I heard a lot of good things about Apera. I searched for their latest and this model came up. I dig the whole kit they include and the smart technology which may be useful. At about $170.00, it’s a little pricier than the Hanna, but definitely comes with a whole lot of extra bells and whistles.

And Finally…
Bluelab PENPH pH Pen, Digital Meter for Water with Easy Two Point Calibration and Double Junction Probe Test Kit for Hydroponic System and Indoor Plant Grow, White

with…
Bluelab TRUNV2 Truncheon Nutrient Meter, Digital Conductivity Tester in Water (Scales Include: EC, 500, ppm 700, CF, TDS) Tool for Hydroponic System and Indoor Plant Grow, White

These two meters combined are about $15 more than the Apera and is literally two separate meters for a little more than the cost of a combo.

Give me your thoughts, your insight, your experience and whatever else you may think would be beneficial to include. Looking to finalize my decision by the end of next month.

Thanks everyone in advance!

7 Likes

I have the Bluelab ph pen and it works great for me.

3 Likes

I had the Bluelab truncheon and separate ph meter. Truncheon still going strong. Spendy ph meter wasn’t worth the extra $. Back to cheap pens, calibrated regularly. Back up on hand.

1 Like

The 98129 is a great old pen.

2 Likes

I love my BlueLab meter. Finally upgraded to it last year. A very sound investment indeed. They stay in calibration well and have a reminder on the display to recalibrate after so many uses. Plus, they’re down to about $80 now a days. I still use a much cheaper TDS meter, but whatever, lol.
Good luck with your decision! :smiley:

2 Likes

One important thing to think about is that a ph probe should be replaced every 18-24 months at the most if you want it to remain accurate. This is one of the main reason I went with Apera. Personally I like the apera ph60 because it is just a ph meter and I can keep a spare probe around for $35.

5 Likes

The replaceable probe of Apera was initially appealing to me aswell. But the product reviews of BlueLab eventually trumped that product imo.

2 Likes

I used a Hanna combo for 7 years without issues, then the ph probe started acting up. Brought it to the same shop I had bought it, it still had the sticker they put on it for reference, dude looked at me like I was a time traveler or something. I was going to buy another one and the dude told me the Hanna combo isn’t worth it anymore…

2 Likes

They’re both quality meters but the bluelab will need to be replaced after two years. I’ve used both and still have a bluelab ppm pen that I really like.

1 Like

Anyone just use the liquid PH test kit?

3 Likes

I keep litmus paper on hand and occasionally compare or just use when I’m being lazy.

1 Like

I’ve got a blue lab truncheon and a Apera ph60 pen I like them both, the blue lab truncheons are hard to beat for reliability, the Apera ph60 has the replacement tip feature that’s appealing to me, it also comes in a nice case with 3x ph buffers, kci solution and some vials for calibration, if you are in the US they’re half the price which imo is a outright bargain for a good ph pen.

Test kits are accurate 100% of the time and require no maintenance or any special treatment, Ph pens need to be stored properly in kci solution and regularly calibrated, it’s all worth it if you’re taking frequent readings but for the occasional ph test, a kit is probably more suitable.

4 Likes

I know it’s not listed but I love and use the HM PH-80 for my PH meter and the same brand PM pen.

For under 80$ CAD it’s not let me down. Much like many I schedule to check calibration 1x a month at min or earlier if something seems suddenly off.

2 Likes

I have a fancy kit and I use the drops too. Depends what for.

3 Likes

I have an Apera meter and it works great. I store it with storage solution in the cap, and do a 2 point calibration once at the start of a new grow and other than that never think about it.

3 Likes

I have both the Hanna combo and the bluelab ph pen. Honestly they’re both great. I’ve noticed I calibrate more often with my bluelab though because I don’t see that little calibration :heavy_check_mark: it messes with my OCD. lol It just depends on if you need the combo features of the hanna or not.

Side note… I’ll agree with @Pigeonman that HM PH-80 is a honorable mention for the price. I’ve also used this one its actually chillen in my cabinet because I can’t bring myself to throw it away but somehow I managed to break a piece inside and it restarts on me if I move it to much! Probably my fault it lasted a good long time!

Here’s the Gang! lol
20221226_203040

3 Likes

I vote for Apera had it for over a year and still going strong. think it came down to the batteries using aaa or aa is a lot cheaper then the cell batteries.

2 Likes

I am an Apera pH 60 guy too,wondering when to change probe because I got It this Summer and It keeps calibration very well yet.

2 Likes

-Grouchy :v: :green_heart:

6 Likes

I bought my ph60 June/July 2021 its still working fine, i bought a spare tip with it but I’ve had no reason to change it yet.

2 Likes