Your EC or TDS Meter

I’m tired of using cheap meters

These jump around more than House of Pain and can’t be calibrated (to my knowledge). Some Amazon reviews have me hesitant to grab the BlueLabs pen that was speaking to me.

Does anyone use this, or better, what do you use and has been reliable? I’d like something that gives EC and ppm.

5 Likes

My best suggestion to buying a good meter is to get one with replaceable probes. That way a larger investment is much more justifiable.

6 Likes

Blue lab has the multi with the replacement probe, I used when I had big tubs to mix in and the probe worked perfect as long as you clean an calibrate an dont bang the probe around
Growgreenmichigan usually has 1 for around 200 something

2 Likes

blu lab in nice but pricy imo if you are on a budget I have had good luck with this one.https://www.amazon.com/VIVOSUN-Digital-Accuracy-0-14-0-Measurement/dp/B08228CNGT/ref=sxin_13_pa_sp_search_thematic_sspa?cv_ct_cx=combo+ph+meter&dchild=1&keywords=combo+ph+meter&pd_rd_i=B08228CNGT&pd_rd_r=53700a87-6b24-40c4-a509-7c2e262df812&pd_rd_w=zD8na&pd_rd_wg=AHcqc&pf_rd_p=f21da57e-06e4-46a5-9148-e2dea2e78384&pf_rd_r=0E72MZKZZPKGMMYK9M5D&qid=1633899749&sr=1-2-a73d1c8c-2fd2-4f19-aa41-2df022bcb241-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyUzdXUFhaMUIzTjBNJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjk0MTE5MlJaTlcxNVFaMkVTUyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTAwOTIxMlZYR1RNQTUyTFlEUiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX3NlYXJjaF90aGVtYXRpYyZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

less than 40$. a big step up from the cheap cheap ones. its a combo which is nice too

2 Likes

I like the drops. No need to calibrate. Never wrong.

3 Likes

I have a couple meters but like you now use drops. I used to use drops as a double check but now they are my go to while meter sits in storage solution.

1 Like

Are you guys talking ph drops or is there a mysterious way to check TDS that’s been eluding me?

PH drops. Unsure of a drop test for TDS

1 Like

I have BluLab ph and ec pens, I dont have much luck with longevity on the ph pen… every year or two they seem off and take awhile to stabilize.

The ec pen has been good so far…

I just bought one of the cheap ph pens, need to calibrate it tonight. Idea was to double check the accuracy of my blulab.

1 Like

Sorry to hijack OP…

I’d like to use the drops as a check, I’m having ph issues. But how do I do so after mixing in my nutes and the color changing brown?

1 Like

Two meters is best. And I agree on all your points.
@DougDawson too. Replaceable probe is a must!

I went with a HM COM-100 and it’s held up solidly for a couple years now. Calibrates on standard 1000ppm solution(or two others depending what you’re measuring). Replaceable probe, waterproof, etc. Been the best prove I’ve come across so far, but Ive never splurged for a bluelab or Milwaukee.

4 Likes

I have had an apera pc60 for about 4 years. Replacement probes are 50 american. I trust it

4 Likes

It’s a bit of a challenge because my nutes are brown. You can still get a pretty good idea, it’s just a bit of a guessing game.

Check it with no nutes and if all looks good add your nutes without worrry.

All the best

1 Like

I have an apera pen for my pH and absolutely love it! I woulda got that one if I hadn’t already bought the com-100… next time tho :wink:

3 Likes

@HolyAngel and @corgitron

I use Apera for my ph also and it’s treated me very well. Most have pointed me to BlueLabs, but I’ve been kinda wondering why I should deviate 🤷🏼

1 Like

The EC pens on the market don’t really have the same problems as PH pens. They usually have graphite electrodes which takes some doing to damage. Occasional calibration and cleaning.

PH pens are a different matter entirely.

4 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Thinking of putting on a server fund auction, who’s interested?

Backup

3 Likes

Yes, I was speaking of PH pens as I thought OP was, I should really stop reading stuff on my phone as I somehow missed that the OP was asking about EC pens. My mistake.

2 Likes

You’re good man. No worries one bit👍🏻

1 Like