Micro Growing with Mr.Sparkle *2018 Part 2of2*

How tall are your girls from soil to top?

2 Likes

So there is the 2nd season, still very neat and tricky. I have suggestions, but it’s more to share a point of view and to understand your than anything else.

Training : https://overgrow.com/uploads/default/original/3X/9/1/912c7a4bcdf559b43463969aad515089656b0765.JPG

This is how i bend stems and trunks, the point is than i never use the whole perimeter of the diameter to apply the pressure. I known than you use “elastic”, but i insure you than using only one face make a difference. Specifically when the subject is flowering. The holly cambium of cannabis is very close to the bark and this last is very thin. Applying the pressure on only one face permit to the cambium of the “free face” to become thicker to balance the struggle.

Roots/Cups : the tanks below your cups are enough high to handle an extra root system that come from the cup. How do you resist to make a “low rider bubbler” unit below the plant ? ^^ More training to do yes, but how do you resist to get this extra yield and fun in bonus lol In anyway, you’re fighting with the height … the challenge is allready there if i can say.

Ruderalis hybrid : Just why. In this micro space i’ve in mind a ton of strains that fit more your need without any compromise to do. From the chronic to the sensi afghani without forgetting the manatuska thunderfuck or a mazar to quote a very partial list. And with breeding in mind, you can push something more valuable for the community imho. Take it with a grain of salt, i’m old school and still don’t understand the appealing for these plants in indoor setups.

best vibes

4 Likes

Neither did I, but @Mr.Sparkle is definitely bringing it. Looks like these ladies are on autopilot.

3 Likes

True and agree with the half side cambium, even still usually the plant reinforces and builds in very little time, plus when using “elastic” rubber bands im only doing as tight enough to hold in place, not actually tight which would cause issue, which would be another wrap or two.

As for resisting extra root space, Very easily actually. Keeping plants small is ultimately dictated by their root mass first and foremost, if i did run bubblers or flooming techniques and ran roots in the res the plants would just become an absolute disaster as they would definitely out grow the space in no time so it would be non stop pruning plucking training and the works. Plus with the amount of water they go through id be running a secondary reservoir to keep the small ones filled to keep the roots submerged and happy, as right now i run my reservoirs to pretty much empty before refilling, and that wouldn’t be good for the roots, mind you they would be making air roots in the low states.

Now don’t get me wrong this round is a jungle anyways and happened badly this time around but isn’t the intended setup or desired outcome for it. Ideally its to run small enough media volume where 4 plants can fill the space with little assistance or involvement apart from a top flop say a couple weeks in to level things out. This rounds mess was mainly due to watering frequency changes allowing the plants to grow quicker than expected and the Blue Dreamatics are a lankier sativa leaning plant that i wasn’t necessarily expecting or planning for as really you don’t know till you grow them.

As for autos, the good ones are way different now, use to be a photoperiod only grower, mothers/clones/revegges, but i wanted to try out the newer autos in a goal to keep an open mind about things, and how things change over time and what may be my old assumptions or past knowledge/experiences aren’t necessarily correct anymore also was looking for a way to fill my partially vacant veg spaces.

Needless to say a bunch were junk but some really surprised me, since then ive gone only auto because of those surprises. I see promise in them and love to grow from seed, but when i can run more plants in less time “last round was 63-66days from breaking ground” whereas a photo tack on an extra 2-4 weeks, yield is more even in a grams/kwh comparison with photos factoring in veg time too, and potency to me is no difference anymore in the good genetics. Only downside is you have to make seed, which to me is a fun thing to do, and you also get some variability in that unless your doing your own inbred lines which is no different than photos from seed, but again i enjoy having different phenos and plants that i get to run through.

So all i guess i should say is keep an open mind :wink: as doing so has led me down this path which has been a fun experience.

7 Likes

Thank a lot for the answer, i understand now more the “big picture” of your way. Much appreciated.

6 Likes

Day 34, on the mend.

I have to rig up an auxiliary reservoir as my main ones aren’t gonna cut it for a planned week+ away im doing shortly especially at current watering levels, also not here this weekend either so need to get it done in the next day or two ideally to test run it a bit.

13 Likes

Day 36

Res is dry today so 6days max at current watering rate.

10 Likes

So a bit over a month later, just wanted to see weights of the stuff from last harvest after a cure. This scale being my kitchen scale has a couple gram accuracy so guess registering a little high due to basket tare-ing i expect, but actually weighing more so they could of got a little from the boveda packs, But 188g or so

Same bud different light

15 Likes

…and for us too. every time you update i say “holy shit”. :smile:

next year you’ll have a set of 4 wicker-hemp chairs for gnomes :wink:

:evergreen_tree:

5 Likes

Day 39

Came back and all except the back right TDC ha dgrowing into the lights.

Snipped the top that had gotten burnt, and bend and tied down a few of the tops to get things back somewhat into shape.

Will need to do some defoliation over the next week.

This round has been a hassle that’s forsure.

Opening after 3 days

A little bit of work just for now

12 Likes

Day 40 Somewhat heavy defoliation and pruning to keep things in check, gonna do it again come Friday as im gonna be gone for a week, so gonna be aggressive.

The bluedreams are definitely gonna take longer in comparison to the two on the right. right now my guess is an extra week for the front left plant, and another 1.5 for the back right, the difference between the two just due to pheno expression.

Also worked out my auxiliary watering circuit today, just need to program and see if i built the circuit i wanted correctly.

11 Likes

Finished up the aux extra capacity watering system, Plan is only to use it when needed and just tape over the holes when not.

all cause this current system and plants only lasts just shy of a week without any fill up, this should bump it up by another 4-5days when in use

So new feed tube coming from one of the air holes on the bottom side of the cab up and over and split into the two reservoirs acting as a transfer pipe.

basic bucket setup which i need to temporary mount the arduino timer/relay circuit probably to the cab for now, just will be testing out the feed rate over the next day or two.

11 Likes

:bed: :woman: :exclamation: :question:

:joy:

:evergreen_tree: :innocent:

Some individual shots

Longer lankier flowering blue dreams

and my own grosses, GSCxDD on the left and a TDC on the right

11 Likes

im surprised they didnt purple out all but one dark devil seed out of a couple 3 packs for me grew as pictured including the free seeds most had a destinct lavender smell and taste the bloody skunk i thaught was better didnt have that smell and taste to them what do you think of these solstrips ?

bang for the buck solstrips are hard to beat, ballasts can be had cheaper through digikey or mouser

5 Likes

End of Day 44 from sprout.

Did some minor adjustments, and have the reservoirs filled, and the aux reservoir filled and up and going.

Changed the timing slightly as i wanted to push some run off, so plants are getting watered every 2 hrs now, and the aux reservoir cycles on every 12hr. Feed is around 900ppm.

Already and set for leaving for a week, lets see what happens in that time.

Before and after minor adjustments.

16 Likes

it’s late i’m tired, but this is Sparkle-ville. at first glance i read “DAY 4 FROM SPROUT” & gasped WAIT-WTF!? and then saw 4 Hr for the time since posted & gasped a little more and then… yeah.

:sleeping:

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

Ok it’s been a week you should be home soon, we demand an update! Starting to feel less inadequate…

7 Likes

Got home last night, stayed an extra day to go drag racing with my dad, trying to sort out his “new to him” car. Flew up but drove my other car home. Was a good vacation saw lots of family, lake was nice and hot days. A lot of smoke from forest fires though, but at least half the province is covered right now.

Anyways on with the show.

What day are we… Day 53 from sprout apparently looking back and counting.

They definitely survived. Had about 3 liters of feed water left in between all the reservoirs, so drank more than expected, probably would of been good for another 3 days max.

Res PPM was up at 1600+ so they are definitely not consuming as much, so cleaned everything and filled with 550ppm feed, and will follow with <300ppm stuff on the next fill, or just water we will see.

The GSCxDD and TDC are nearing done, probably another 1.5weeks or so, the BlueDreamatics will need more time though i expect, the back left one has wedged itself into the back corner snuggly so this is gonna be interesting, may run into some mold issues with it if i don’t watch it, due to growing up into a dead zone of air, so will trim and adjust the one fan, also the same plant is the only plant with a little light burn so adjusted the one top just slightly for now, but really i have no room to work with anymore.

19 Likes