Moving Bed Bio-Film Reactor (MBBR) to replace Hydroton/Coco/Lava

Ever tried digging a hole with a plastic shovel?

2 Likes

Ha! gonna have to go burlap!
I want to see more bamboo used too.

1 Like

Every summer at the beach when I was a kid :smiley:

Although, modern “entrenching tools” used by the military folks have plastic handles these days. They were wood when I was in the service. I doubt the plastic is any better or worse - those things suck no matter what!

1 Like

Excellent practice.

I got a few rocks we can work with too. Wanna help?

2 Likes

LOL You could grow one heck of a root ball if you did ebb/flow in the plastic ‘grow pot’ in that last pic!!

Not sure if you should remove the hand truck or leave it for removing trim…?

1 Like

Just to follow up, the rinsed lava rock sat over night and still has a pH of 7 and PPM went up to 45. A sip of it (yes, I take sips of my plant’s food) tastes like plain water.

Lava rock isn’t a horrible choice, it is a clean, renewable resource, and they wick very well. But it is still a mined material shipped across the globe in ships and trucks.

2 Likes

I am getting some today, to do the same. Gotta stop by the lawn and garden store.

The new fashion drink, enjoyed by all the Overgrow celebrities…

3 Likes

I apologize @ReikoX. I haven’t been able to get the rocks, and it was my idea to do it, but i am getting the rocks and then i will post my results, one a few minutes after stirring and another one the morning after. Cool.

2 Likes

No worries bro, I had them on hand, no big deal.

Thanks for doing this guys!

Im leaning pretty hard toward using the lava rock with pieces of pipe mixed in to save weight.

1 Like

Well, Ive pretty much decided Im going to try a mix of lava rock and plastic pipe cut-offs. Ive been slowly cutting up the scrap pieces of pipe I have laying around. Its a mix of 1/2 PEX, 1/2" PVC and 3/4" PVC.

I might take out the larger 3/4" pieces. They seem a bit too big to me and leave overly large voids in the mix. I like the voids because I think they will eave more room for roots and O2, but the 3/4 pieces seem to go too far.

Here is a pic with some of the plastic pieces randomly mixed into some aggregate from my driveway. Im going to be picking up some lava rock in the next few days.

This mix will be going into the ebb/flow tote on my hydro build. I think Im going to stick with perlite in the NFT and Meniscus Membrane totes.

This is roughly a 40/60 plastic to rocks. I may cut that down to 30/70, but that will depend on the final weight. Part of the reason to use the plastic as a filler is to save weight.

3 Likes