Mushroom compost

Additional info regarding the mushroom farm all substrate that is used hardwood sawdust blocks that seemed to have been aged outdoors for at least a couple of years!

1 Like

ever tried orchid food? hot stuff, soluble. cheap as f. :slight_smile:

15% would be half your 30% compost so perfect. It holds water very well if my memory is correct.

1 Like

Love the stuff. Outside girls love it also.

I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around the high salt content of mushroom compost? I’m assuming it has to do with the substrate being used such as manures I’m I right in this assumption? I can’t imagine it being a byproduct of acutual break down of substrate, the stuff I’v obtained is made with pure hardwood sawdust thoughts ,concerns ,comments welcome!

I have a bag of mushroom compost which has been sitting around for 2.5-4 years, do you guys think it will be sufficiently broken down to use it as a compost component in a soil mix without worrying about how hot it is? I’ve never used this particular amendment before.

3 Likes

You should be good to go @zephyr at the point and time you bought it was already broken down for immediate use. Depending on the substrate used be it wood, sawdust, straw etc, all are high carbon and would probably not ever heat up for ya unless you mixed like straight blood meal with it. It’s my first time use with it this year in my raised boxes and not having any issues with any of my plants!

3 Likes

thanks @Tinytuttle, really informative

1 Like

it’s should be mild as can be…i’d use it with no hesitation.

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

I am guessing that mushroom compost is the used substrate from growing mushrooms?

If this is the case, I am going to try growing Portobellos. When I am finished with the manure and peat, do I need to do anything to it, or can I just use it out right?

1 Like

I “pastirize” mine to kill off any nasties.