My buds have no flavor

I’m thinking now how do terpenes develop? Like are they suspended within the water inside of the plant or are they independent of that? And @Northern_Loki I think we solved (most) of the initial no flavor problem because of the 90 degree temps. Sure genetics add to it but at 90 degrees I’m pretty sure the terps evaporated away with the water in the plant.

3 Likes

I’m with you there. I’ve heard myrcene evaporates at 68f. It would make total sense since I’ve noticed that a comfy 70f is hot enough to turn my bud into woody pine smelling bud only ime. Even in jars that was the case

1 Like

So, I just had a soil test and I have crazy low Cal/Mag… I was told my veggies would have no flavor if I didn’t bring this up.
I did grow my weed in pots, but my thought was maybe my buds needed extra Cal/Mag (I had only added epsoms) and that’s why they didn’t have too much flavor. Do you think this is possible?

4 Likes

Coco is reasonably inert though, and It’s possible to use humic and fluvic in hyrdro and sugars and amino acids etc in hydro which do make a difference.
I’ve’ personally noticed the most aromatic tasty plants outdoors have always been seriously water stressed. There is research that points towards water stress increasing aromatic oil content in various commercial herb crops and running at high EC levels for the ripening phase of tomatoes is a will know technique to increase sugars and flavinoids. Also having a HID light with all that heat has to drive away some of the volatiles. To be fair though strain/pheno and curing is probably a bigger factor.

5 Likes

dry farming tomatoes is tricky, imo. if the variety/cultivar isn’t right the results can be pretty yucky. :tomato: it’s logical though, that over watered or well-watered plants would be diluted but juicy. heh

:evergreen_tree:

4 Likes

Some plants just don’t smell … I have had a few plants do this. Nothing to do with the soil, feed or how it was dried or when it was picked … they just had no smell or flavour. It happens some times … last eg of a plant that had zero smell or flavour for me was Cataract Kush from DNA. I’ve heard The White is known for having a low terpene profile but never grown it so couldn’t say this is gospel.

3 Likes

How was the sulfur? Sulfur is used to make terpenes and flavonoids. Epsom has both sulfur and magnesium.

7 Likes

I agree with @Sunvalley. I’ve had a big variety in the same set of gear too…I’m assuming it was the genetics because they grew side by side. My thought on curing is that it often feels more like art than science. Me, personally, I like a slower dry and into glass jars at stem snap. More than one way to skin a cat for sure!!! Also, I keep hygrometers in the jars to monitor the cure for a couple weeks. Got thirty of them on eBay for cheap. Some read a bit differently but the difference is stable so I just mark with a sharpie the difference.

4 Likes

I think this is why plants smell more when growing in higher temps, all the terps are gassing off.

4 Likes

I had similar problems until I took advice from one of @ReikoX posts and I added Epsom salt into my feed schedule. Epsom is pure magnesium sulphate. Magnesium is an important element during the flowering stage and the sulphate helps to increase the terpenes that create the stink we all know and love. :+1:

11 Likes

I think I definitely need to add epsom to my feed schedule. My girls are getting a mag deficiency no matter how much I up my ppms of megacrop.

2 Likes

@Esrgood4u. Can u tell me how much epsom your adding to your feed and how much MC your using per litre or what e.c. your shooting for? Also do you add the epsom first or last? Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

You don’t want to over do it though, if the plants pick up too much mag, the weed burns hot on your throat.

2 Likes

Half a 5ml spoon per UK gallon @SeymourGreen . Mega crop I keep around 1.5 - 1.6 ec so around the 800 ppm mark. Epsom I add once I’ve got the mega crop dosage correct. I don’t check the EC when adding the epsom although I have done in the past and it usually pushes the EC up to around 1.7 ish. :+1:

1 Like

A longer cure and closer trim can fix that although most “flushing” Or “finishing” Nutrients are just magnesium at a more precise level than using Epsom salts. The Epsom is best used during the flowering period right up until the very end :+1:
Showgun dragon force is one such nutrient.

5 Likes