4th Grow Mystery Seed

Well hello there OG world this is my 4th grow and decided to start a diary because my awesome mentor said so :wink: lol

I’m always down to learn new things first 3grows i didn’t like my own bud :frowning: hopefully this time around I’ll get it

Anyway my equipment consists of
2x4x5 foot tent
Mars hydro 300
Sunsystem 150w HPS
FOx farms happy frog soil
About 25% perlite
Fox farm nute trio
(I did just get nectar for the Gods sample nute line that’s for next grow tho)
cali magic
Silica
6inch ipower exhaust fan carbon filter with speed controller
2 3 inch clip fans for circulation (i think they’re 3inch)
Taotronics humidifier

about 11 weeks old 1 weeks and 5 days into flowering did a top at 2 weeks started LST after a month then super cropped a week before flowering

I’ll try to update on a regular basis I’m open to new tips and tricks

14 Likes

Well that sux, sorry to hear mate!

If it’s been different strains, with the same result of bud you don’t like.
I would look for things to change, like;
Nutrient brand
Feeding shedual/flushing

More info would be good, like if or what you have changed from grow to grow.

Your plant looks happy!

3 Likes

YES YES haha i am changing my soil and nutes next grow all nectar for the Gods I’ve seen nothing but good things and the fact that it’s calcium based takes out the cal mag supplement

My first grow i harvested too early

Second i got about a quarter from a small plant with one big cola it was tasteless smelled decent tho

I also think a big reason for not liking my bud is drying and curing i need to get some 2way humidity packs and put them in my jars

Last grow i got my drying process down pretty good i had a 5 day dry 50% humidity dark and about 65 to 70F

I got high from it but taste and smell was garbage after a 3 week cure so i think it’s got something to do with my curing definitely

this was a plant from my last grow

7 Likes

That’s also my problem i do not have a proper schedule i did some basic research and jumped in figuring i would learn as i go well it’s not that easy thank god i have a great mentor who is patient with me lol

My current plant I’ve had nothing but problems…found out my soil pH was at 5.6 because my pH meter was off .50
So the passed two days i flushed with 7.0pH water till my run off was at 6.3pH then gave it some Herculean harvest liquid bone meal at 6.7 pH for some phosphorus and I’m kinda playing it by ear now letting the plant tell me what it needs
I assume it’s going to need a bit of everything after running 5 gallons thru and my run off ppm being 400

After this grow I’m going to take a month or two off and start with basic gardening studying and cramming then getting some quality fem seeds

2 Likes

Drying and curing is a big part of good smoke indeed

There are many different opinions on drying, personaly I prefer a long slow drying at low temprature.
If I can manage it, I aim for a 3 week dry time on the stalk before I jar the buds.
In a room around 18 C degrees, RH not below 65% and lots of air circulation!
Once the buds can break/snap of with ease, they are ready for jars.
Burp my jars, til they hit 63-60% RH and I stop burping.

5 days at 50% RH is very quick drying in my book, and will not give the buds much time to break down the chorophyl.
Once they are dry, that procces slows down alot.

6 Likes

Yay you started journal!
This will definitely be good for you. As much as I would like to say everything I tell you is "perfect " and you should do it that way, there’s a lot more ways to do one thing with growing , example of above. I would never let my buds dry that long , but if it works for him That’s all that matters .

Now you can get a few different opinions and try them out yourself and see what works best for you/your environment :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Agreed, slow down the drying and allow time to get rid of all of the chlorophyll. If it is still harsh, some additional curing time may help. My worst buds taste better after some time.

But then, it is down to genetics. Work out the bugs in your grow process and collect some good hardy genetics along the way. You’ll be cooking with fire in no time.

6 Likes

Well the thing is it wasn’t harsh smoother than most dispensary nugs I’ve had I’m in a super dry climate and since i only have 1 plant now i will be drying in my tent with a humidifier

2 Likes

2 days after fixing soil pH

she’s got a few hooking leaves I’m surprised she never dropped after all that water but hey that’s a good thing

6 Likes

Whoa 3 weeks is a long time I’ll keep my RH above 65 and see what happens usually in my tent without a humidifier the highest RH i hit is 30%

I have about 6 weeks till harvest so i have plenty of time to explore options

1 Like

Maybe aim for less then 3 weeks, you really need to be able to controll your enviroment.
Have a good air circulation and air exchange, is important or you risk getting mold.

Low temps will save more terps, and slow down the drying procces.
For me it shortens down the cure time a lot, and I think it improves the flavor and smoothness in the end.

2 Likes

Air circulation and exchange are no problem i can pump out 445cfm According to my exhaust fan I’ll try and aim for a week and a half and yeah it cuts down cure time cuz I’ve read about hang curing where a dispo in Michigan does that for at least 14 days before selling or store it like that till they sell it

It was very odd to me but it makes sense because you’re doing the same thing you would in a jar it’s just a much more open space keeping the RH around 65% and lights off with tons of air exchange and circulation

Please correct me if im wrong I’m no expert

Sounds about right!

It’s how they used to dry tobacco leaf, for cigar rolling where I am from.
Visited a tobacco museum once, where the guide used to work there when it was stil operating.
He told about the dry and cure rooms, figured that sounded solid and went home and tried that with weed.

Been aiming for that ever since, as I liked the result very much and no more crumbly buds.
But I am sure there are others, in different climates, that have a different experiance.

1 Like

Nice! I love when shit like that works out

I’m 6500 feet above sea level so it’s hella dry and so winter is right around the corner where last year it was like 5% everyday

So i definitely understand that lol everyone has different things that work for them which might sound outlandish

1 Like

Planning ahead but does anyone recommend any seed banks? I would like some solid genetics

Yes, drying in a dry climate has it’s own set of issues. I love in the high desert and a week dry time is about all I can get. I found that hanging the plant whole and dry trimming is best in my climate.

1 Like

Awesome! Thanks I’ve done wet trims and so do a dry trim and you can get another day or two out of it?

1 Like

Yes, leave as much plant material as you can to dry longer.

1 Like

Update! Happiest sickie has ever been in her 2 month life

Since i don’t know the strain i named her sickie because she’s had problems since 3 weeks and discovering it was my fault with a faulty pH meter seems unfair but she is sickie still lol

ANYWAY IM EXCITED

i got the soil pH in check I’m going to do some light defoliation and final super cropping before i let her go and do her thing for the rest of her life

Since i don’t have an official nute schedule I’m debating if i should give any nutes at all but I’ll be conducting a slurry test to test PPMS and decide from there trying to keep my over all PPMS of my soil no larger than 900ppm

Also thank you everyone that has come thru wether you’re watching or just dropped by for some advice i appreciate it i have a feeling this harvest will be a harvest I’ll gladly smoke up

7 Likes

Starting week 3 I did super cropping and some defoliation gave some fox farms big bloom tiger bloom silica and cal mag.

Slurry test results were 6.23pH 80ppm

Knowing that’s clearly not right i watered till run off and had 6.0 pH run off and 950ppm

3 Likes