A Revolution in Drying

Yes! A revolution! (I had to get your attention.)

So I grew these:

Chopped ‘em

And accidentally left them in 30% humidity for 3 days. This was the result.

Oops.

Have no fear though. I then set up my drying room to a stable 60% and threw the overdry plants back in there along with a couple other plants at various stages of drying. The plants in question are on the bottom in the back. They were in the humid room for 24 hours.

This is my gear for hydrating the bathroom:

The end result is this:

I bet if I’d left it in just a little longer it would be a solid 60 all day but given other variables 54% is acceptable.

So. No more 2 weeks to dry. Super dry for 3 days and then rehydrate for one. Fully dry buds at the perfect humidity in 4 days.

If this works it could be a REVOLUTION because it would save so much time.

There’s also the “help help it’s chop time but I’m going on vacation and I don’t know what to do” type thread that this might apply too.

How the cure progresses, well I’ll keep you posted. I suspect it’ll be fine because the weed smells as it should at this stage in the game.

Cheers and all the best and happy drying.

Also I just like saying the word revolution.

I wonder is LPs do something similar…:thinking:

@MumenRyder

41 Likes

Very cool, thanks for sharing :sunglasses:

Definitely interested to see how they are after cure. A 4 day dry period is pretty quick…

I imagine there are some variations of this also.

I think I might try like 5 days at 50% and then the remaining 2-3 days at 60 :thinking:

2 Likes

I think this is a very reasonable idea likely to meet with success.

“I don’t need boveda packs, I have a whole boveda room!”

3 Likes

FWIW I had a similar accident and I am pretty sure it had negative impact on the quality. :man_shrugging: What I do it if is more dry than I want is put a bit of water on the inside of the lid of the jar and close it. Works to rehydrate at least. But needs to be monitored.

6 Likes

Well we will find out together. Did you try to rehydrate them? Bovedas?

If it’s a fail it’s ok too. Then they become gimmes or end up in the hash pile which is also an acceptable result.

3 Likes

Interesting. Some guys use fresh fan leaves in a similar way and have good results.

Many of us have have very difference standards and degrees of tolerance for weed inside or outside of these parameters.

Mrs Foreigner doesn’t care if it’s overdry. She just crams it into the bong anyway.

9 Likes

Once a plant dips below 50% it stops curing. Sure you can rehydrate to 60 and store it at that but the chlorophyll stops breaking down and the terpenes stop devoloping and enhancing, it’s game over fir any sort of quality increase. It’s still smokeable, and will get ya stoned, but it’ll burn hot and harsh, with paper runs ect. Lol

That’s why I was so pissed when my bro left the heater in in my dry room after he was showing a girl… fucker. Over 1.5lbs was turned to hash weed I a night

19 Likes

I dunno man. I’ve screwed up like this before and relied on boveda to get me back up there with no obvious negative effect on the cured aged buds.

But we will see…

5 Likes

As I wrote in the edit. But I’d like to add I used Boveda once and it changed the smell and taste and I did not like it at all. I’d prefer overdry weed.

2 Likes

Don’t touch things you don’t understand! Yup, I hear you.

2 Likes

Bloody stoners :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

I don’t like the bovedas because it makes me feel like I’m just covering my mistakes but haven’t had any detrimental effects on the weed. I’ve only done it a couple of times though.

4 Likes

I’ve heard this number used a lot, but I’ve never seen any actual studies etc. done on this.
50% seems to be the number we all throw around as the bottom of the cure zone RH, but I’m not sure where it comes from.

6 Likes

Bro science, lol

One thing I know. I’ve never had good weed from an over dry pre cure

9 Likes

Firstly I just want to say, your bathroom is way nicer than mine.

Secondly, I second the four day drying technique as espoused in my topic.

I dried for four days at 40%, put the buds in a jar with a hygrometer reading 47% humidity, and within a few days the humidity climbed up to 60% and remained stable. It only took a week before I started into the jar but the buds near the bottom definitely developed a nice cure.

5 Likes

I have left a jar of bud open overnight and they got good and dry. Not powdery dry, but dry. I plucked a couple leaves of a plant. Put in the jar with the buds and tomorrow it was back kinda moist.

2 Likes

I tend to agree. I do prefer mine about as low as you can go RH wise though, so I wonder what the lowest RH really is.

The stuff I have in jars at 55% is probably my favorite, because it vapes easily and still smells great.

3 Likes

I have looked for a scientific explanation of pot drying and curing. I have not found anything on chlorophyll breaking down and being stopped by the humidity level. Nothing about enzymes breaking it down from what I can remember.

Dry & Curing Science - Overgrow.com

4 Likes

I like to call that a perfect drop… great work. I do something very similar, when we fuck up sometimes by pushing it too far … and it lands under 55% we call it flash dried.

3 Likes

I remember someone (maybe @Shadey icon_e_confused|nullxnull) telling that below certain humidity (50%?) the microbes responsible of curing die and rehidrating doesn’t help much to revive them :unamused:. That has happened to me and I agree the final result was far from being acceptable … :roll_eyes:

5 Likes