My First (Redneck) Grow

I thought about running my exhaust out the chimney. Thought it might mask the smell lol

Yes, it worked well, and did the job. A tent is a much better way to go, though. :sweat_smile:

That’s awesome. I remember my BS summer camp days in WI. I wonder how many plants were growing in the back wilderness, and most of us scouts were completely oblivious… :crazy_face:

That would probably work well. Though a good carbon filter does wonders. I’ve also heard of jamming a wadded up dryer sheet into the exhaust tubing to help mask the smell, but have never needed to try it out.

1 Like

Small world… My brother made Eagle in WI. Potawatomi Area Council. Camp Long lake. Good Memories.

I was in a troop from the Chicago suburbs. We just went to summer camp up in Wisconsin. Camp Napowan.

1 Like

If it works. That is what counts. Thumbs up

1 Like

I love anything improvised, it’s amazing how little this plant asks for. Granted I still kill them from time to time haha. Look forward to watching this develop.

1 Like

I really would warn against that. I know people do it, but your chimney is made for one thing, to keep poisonous gas out of your house. Let it do it job. Changing the flow of gasses could be literally deadly in this situation. Not to be a wet blanket, just don’t wanna see someone die or get sick from something avoidable.

How so? My inline fan would be pumping it out through the chimney. Not changing the flow of gasses at all

1 Like

The air flow goes both ways. So if it is pushing out the top, it’s be pushing out the bottom too. So aside from affecting how your burner runs(because it depends on the hot gasses being able to escape up the chimney) it could also push any gasses created from combustion right into your basement.

This is a throwback diary documenting my official 2nd grow (though my first in an actual tent).

This used my DIY LED light (link here: DIY Off-The-Shelf LED Light). Strains run were both from Seed Stockers, and were Blackberry Gum Auto and Amnesia Haze Auto. The two burlap pots were filled, each with 0.5 cu.ft. of ProMix Organic.

Seeds were started out in cups of water until tap roots were showing.

The seeds. Amnesia on the left, Blackberry on the right.

Seeds in their final resting places.

Day 2 of the Amnesia Haze growing.

There was still no sign of the Blackberry Gum this morning, so I dug around gently in the dirt and found her growing sideways! When I unearthed her, she was white and limp.

More posts to follow. Since this is a throwback, I have all the updates and photos already, just don’t want to overload a single post with all that info.

9 Likes

Days 3 and 4 for the Blackberry Gum and Amnesia Haze, respectively. The lights are about 14” above the plant. I just finished watering each of them with a half a quart of water and a little Mega Crop 2.0. So far they seem to be enjoying the light and environment and growing bigger.

Days 5 and 6 group shot:

Days 9 and 10 for the Blackberry Gum and Amnesia Haze, respectively. Both are still growing well and getting bigger. Both were fed and watered with half a quart of water and a little Mega Crop 2.0 on 2/28/19. I installed the fan and filter in the tent yesterday and it’s running continuously on the low setting of the speed controller. Due to the location of the fan and filter, I had to modify the layout of the tent slightly, but it still works very well.

Group Shot:

Blackberry Gum (Day 9):

Amnesia Haze (Day 10):

5 Likes

Days 14 and 13 for the Amnesia Haze and the Blackberry Gum, respectively. Still growing well. Temps are in the mid-60s during lights on which is a little low, but ok. Still feeding Mega Crop 2.0 with each watering. I’m a little concerned in that the Amnesia Haze, while supposedly a sativa, looks like an indica with her broad leaves.

Group Shot:

Amnesia Haze, Day 14:

Blackberry Gum, Day 13:

Here are the two girls at days 17 and 18. Both perky and starting to really grow. Since I always need something to worry about, it still looks like either both of them are indica dominant which is surprising since the Amnesia Haze is supposed to be sative dominant. Or, maybe I mixed up the seeds, as the Blackberry Gum seems to have thinner leaf profiles than the Amnesia Haze.

4 Likes

Here they are at days 24 and 23.

Here’s a picture of the defoliated plants. Days 26 (Amnesia Haze) and 25 (Blackberry Gum). I raised the lights a lot because the top leaves were canoeing. I’ve also been tucking some of the larger leaves. Other than that, they’re growing well!

Here we are at days 31 and 30 for the girls (and yes, they have confirmed that they are girls). Flowering is just starting to begin. Watered them last night with 1 qt of water and 1 gram of Mega Crop 2.0. Also have been doing some light defoliation of the larger fan leaves when I can. A little at a time so as not to stress them out, but I want to get as much light to as many flower sites as possible.

Group shot:

Blackberry Gum (Day 30):

Amnesia Haze (Day 31):

3 Likes

Today is day 37 for the girls. Both were just watered with 2 quarts of water along with 2 grams of mega crop 2.0. They continue to grow and are doing well. So for now I’m just letting them do their things.

Group Shot:

Blackberry Gum:

Amnesia Haze:

Day 48 for the ladies. Both were trimmed and watered with 2 quarts of water and 1/8 tsp of bloom booster. Photos pre-trimming and pre-watering.

Group Shot:

Day 57 for the ladies. Both were watered with 2 quarts of water along with some bloom nutrient yesterday. Both are still doing well. I figure a good 3-4 weeks left for both of them.

Group Shot:

4 Likes

Day 71 for the plants and finally got around to taking some photos. Still mostly clear, with some milky, and one or two amber trichomes present. Still some time to go, but harvest time is getting close!

Group shot:

Blackberry Gum:

Amnesia:

Both plants got the chop on Sunday, officially day 74 for them. The buds have been hanging in the tent for the past few days drying. So I should have a final yield by the end of this week.

The trim was de-carbed and made into canna-butter. Tried a bit of the butter on toast last night and it worked out well. Can’t wait to make some brownies with it.

Weighed and jarred both plants today. Official numbers are 46 grams for the Amnesia and 47.5 grams for the Blackberry Gum. So a little over 1.5 oz from each plant. I’m happy with those numbers as my goal had been an ounce per plant.

6 Likes

Thanks, they turned out pretty well for being grown under a cheap, home-made LED light.

2 Likes

Nothing wrong with that. My first inside grow was with house lights. Did ok. Not to brag about but it was fun. Buds look like pinecones. lol

Was that a trashcan grow?

Yes it was.

1 Like

I have thought about making one.