My Grafting Tech! Simple, Basically free

grafting demo-converted-compressed.pdf (528.4 KB) So here is my write up on my grafting technique as requested by a few folks in the seed run thread.

33 Likes

Thank you! This is put together wonderfully clear and forward. Now to make espalier cannabis “trees” to give away with colour coded quick ties to designate what’s what :smiley:

4 Likes

Excellent tutorial!! :sunglasses: :+1:

Thanks for posting that.

Cheers
G

2 Likes

What do you think would happen if you used a rootstock from an already harvested plant and applied a cutting to the stump? Would the graft turn out like the harvested plant, the plant the cutting is from or a combination of the two? Interesting topic.

3 Likes

While there are hormonal based differences since they share a phloem and xylem no genetic material is exchanged. Let me nip this in the bud. Every apple you have ever eaten has been grafted from a mother plant onto rootstock and then sent to an orchard.to grow. your clones are the same after this process

4 Likes

So then, are you saying it does not matter the rootstock. The plant will always be a clone of the parent plant then?

2 Likes

if you are taking clones from a mom the root stock doesn’t really make a difference but I have had the best luck from vigorous hybrids learning a bit sativa. If you plan to flower it on root-stock for some reason the bud will be different (in unpredictable way in my experience) due to hormones but hypothetically say pollen floated in. The seeds would be the same genetically no matter what root stock the bod was on…

5 Likes

Imagine harvesting a plant, having huge roots in a 7-15 gallon pot. If you can Graft onto a large root stock that could potentially have such a head start making roots, very cool

3 Likes

That was what i was thinking.

2 Likes

Or graph a clone onto a seedling in order to have a tap root. :grin:

8 Likes

That is actually an excellent use case for this!. I hadn’t thought of that. A good tap root can save you if you are dry farming.

4 Likes

Ummm, does grafting a plant back onto itself count?? :laughing:

So many times I’ve band-aided branches back together. Some hanging on by a thread, others completely busted off.

Last year one of my outdoor plants split like 3 or 4 ways right down the middle during a bad storm mid flower. I just grabbed a jumbo cable tie and went right around the stock to secure it back together, then staked the buds. The plant acted like nothing even happened. It was actually one of the first to finish.

4 Likes

So what I’m getting from your write up is:

Take cutting from a female plant you want to keep, then on the mother plant find a branch, cut it and splice that branch down the center and then sandwich the clone inside the mother branches V cut, wrap it & veg a week.

By doing this you can keep 1 mother with several different strains growing in veg, untill you take cuttings of each strain for Flowering?

Did I understand this correctly?
Sounds interesting :thinking: & wonder if it’s something I should look deeper into.

Edit: I goggled how to do this with Peppers, same method & I understand completely ,)

9 Likes

That is some amazing cool info. Thanks Petal!

4 Likes

Another super experiment to try? Yes I definitely got to try this! :smiley::+1:

Awesome write up. What do you think your average success rate is?

1 Like

Nice and simple :+1:t2: