My plants look like shit

Please DO NOT use AVID!!

We used to use that shit way back before we knew any better…extremely toxic and systemic!!

Brian(Alaskagrown)

1 Like

I can speak to the efficacy of Dr Zymes. Works like a charm on spider mites, as well as russet mites and broad mites.

Please don’t bake soil. That is the most ridiculous advice ever, and that goof Cervantes ought to be strung up for spreading that nonsense.
If you want “sterile” media, use coco or go hydro.
Soil is supposed to be alive. That’s what makes it soil.
The chances of you.bringing mites in from bagged soil is pretty unlikely. Not impossible but unlikely.
You more than likely brought them in from outside or something along those lines.

2 Likes

while pyrethrin is good it kills cat, birds and small rodents.
If spinosad is used, add orgenao thymol oil, the two will annihilate them.

2 Likes

If you can point to a single person who died from abamectin, lemme know.

Half the world takes ivermectin (another avermectin) for parasites regularly. All the animals you eat take dewormers. It’s in my dog’s heartworm medicine.

It’s gonna be OK lol sky isn’t falling. It’s the least concerning of all the bad shit we do to our bodies.

@SubSoilSelections I agree media contamination is unlikely. Easier to bring in on other plants, clothes, pets, etc. It doesn’t take much lol.

3 Likes

Just because our interaction on IG got me banned, and you brought it up here, enough with the Ivermectin stuff. Ivermectin is a anti parasite drug yes, but it also has anti viral properties. To poke fun at someone for using it as such would be like us laughing about you using your dogs dewormer as an insecticide, or vice versa.
Im with you on the hysteria about abamectin being just as ridiculous, but we have to turn this corner sooner or later. :sunglasses:

Ahahahaha IG drama sprouts anew on OG.

Here’s the thing though…if people poke fun at me…I can handle it.

You’re half right about ivermectin, just not for the right reasons. Not one of those horse paste eating yokels died from it. Because it isn’t really dangerous. Plenty of them died of covid though.

Anyway…back to regular programming.

3 Likes

Not all of us ate horse paste. There are far more of us that had prescriptions from our doctors and are still here to ruffle your feathers. :wink: :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I love ya buddy!!!
Back to regular programming indeed.

:sunglasses:
Doc

Boiling water and pouring it through the soil before planting is a simple method.

1 Like

If you want to try an organic route, give this a try, https://sierranaturalscience.com/shopping/natural-pesticides/209-systemic-pest-control/
I have used it to combat the pesty SM and it does work.

2 Likes

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/agricultural-and-biological-sciences/abamectin

I’d like to see ANY data that shows AVID safe for consumable/edible products…”non ornaments” to my knowledge there isn’t any!

I’m would never use on plants unless it’s a mother plant that I don’t plan on cloning for production in less than 4-6 months…I’m not a fan of potentially poisoning folks…

Brian(Alaskagrown)

1 Like

I recommend going the pyrethrin/permethrin route. It is true that it doesn’t have much persistence, which is one of the reasons why it’s relatively safe.

Don’t spray it within a week or two of chop.

DO spray your plants with it every four to five days at least 4 times, yes that means as long as 3 weeks. Because the stuff doesn’t last, you have to kill the adults and the juveniles and then in a few days kill the hatchlings before they get old enough to breed, and repeat until you’ve gotten them all.

I recommend keeping your garden very warm (mid 80s if you can manage it) during this time, as that will encourage them to hatch faster so they can be dealt with.

Diligence is key; if you skip and go over a week, start over with the interval. Don’t worry about building resistance; they can’t develop immunity.

2 Likes

Interesting strategy ejem|nullxnull , I wonder if adding some rosemary to your watering would act as IPM, they have to munch your plant anyway … :see_no_evil:

1 Like

I’ve been relying on daily power mists with the one-hand pressure sprayer combined with lady beetles, amblyseus cucumeris, and Phytoseilus persimilis predatory mites. The war isn’t won, but we’ve got the little two-spotted bastards on the run.

1 Like

I use an essential oil mix in my IPM rotation that includes rosemary oil.

2 Likes

But do you spray it? :nerd_face: Never heard adding it to your water, could be interesting and easier than a foliar spray … beer3|nullxnull

1 Like

Spray every other week as part of maintenance, drench if I have an issue.

2 Likes

:wave:
I’m also for dr Zymes. Can vary the dosing til you get it right. Or go for the strong mix and it’ll work.
I also used a sample of “lost coast plant therapy” and Had good results.
Go to this site and sign up for the free sample

I was dealing with Fungus gnats and some sort of very tiny bugs that were cruising around the soil. After a few drenched I see no movement and the FG are on their way out. Sticky traps seem to be a big help here.:call_me_hand:t4:

2 Likes

Been using permethrin for years, on a commercial basis mainly in the greenhouse and vineyard. I don’t think it’s a miticide though. It’s found in 100’s of products like dog shampoo, people medical shampoos, etc. I buy Tengard.

2 Likes

Permethrin and pyrethrin kill mites dead. I’ve been using it for years.

The key to effectiveness is the interval of repetition; it has to be shorter than their reproductive life cycle, hence the name of the strategy; “life cycle interruption”.

Once or twice won’t cut it. The mites are too small and some will inevitably be missed the first or second time through. That’s why I recommend doing it at least 4 times.

The downside is that it will kill all your beneficials as well.

1 Like

George the rosemary component is oil and can be used as either a foliar or soil drench. I guess one could diy some using a surfactant and rosemary oil.

2 Likes