New gene-editing tool CRISPR

https://www.aspenideas.org/session/crack-creation-gene-editing-and-unthinkable-power-control-evolution?gclid=CjwKCAiA7ovTBRAQEiwAo8dPcU3mG3QvUQwWcuIJk4rEdyo8apxIvFvXm9IdZyaHsJV9AwvyHw5MsRoCxvMQAvD_BwE no despcription just click the link an then change your pants from shitting them

1 Like

The future of genetic modification and replication.

2 Likes

At home tho get ready to break that mid 30 percent glass ceiling

I’ve used it :sunglasses:

Pretty hard to do without a gene sequencer, electrophoresis machine, centrifuge, bacterial plasmid vector, and a piece of designer RNA to insert into the target site. It’s also intergenerational, meaning the mutations aren’t seen in the modified parent but present in the offspring and are subject to heritability during sexual reproduction.

Basically, you modify a bacteria so that it infects plant tissues and have it insert a new gene into a specific site in the chromosome. The new cells created by that plant in the growth tips and buds contain the new gene. When the plant makes gametes, those genes are passed on the the offspring, who then can express them.

It’s a tricky process, and virtually impossible without in-depth analysis of the gene pathways and molecular cascades involved in the expression of a phenotype.

Of course, if a breeder could pool the resources to attempt such a project in earnest, it could have revolutionary results. Mapping the genome of the cannabis plant would give us so much useful information, as it is.

7 Likes

this is something I’d like to know more about. It’s interesting and scary and like @intersect says, potentially revolutionary in the right hands. It’s a topic often discussed among my friends. Thanks for the link @growinnblowin.

1 Like

Ethos genetics on instagram says the genome is already cracked

4 Likes

This is why I’m saving seeds and glad the svalbard seed vault exists.
Unfortunately however good these genes/mods are, once in the wild they can never be taken back.
they’re there for good.
I suppose at least cannabis is mostly grown in controlled conditions but you only need one grain of pollen to hit one hemp plant and they spread.
I understand that this is just doing what nature does, although much quicker but nature gets a chance to knock out bad genes at every generation, it also seems (to my untrained eyes) that there are safety checks in place like linked genes etc that normally stop genes existing without a “protector gene” (my words)
We are only just starting to realise that high THC with no CBD is a bad thing, this has effected me personally.

I’m all for exploring and understanding through experiments and these need to continue so we can understand more before we make mistakes that cannot be undone.
I worry we are marching over a cliff .

A little knowledge is dangerous (maybe you will apply that to me)
What are the consequences of playing with fire?
The road to hell is paved with good intentions…

5 Likes

@Intersect Was saying the same thing just the other day. The keeper plants can be chosen while still in veg, and greater numbers of seeds can be started with more control over offspring.
Phylosbioscience is already amassing the data.

@gordongecko that’s a damn good point too, bad breeders won’t go away just because the proper knowledge is available to them. It’s a problem that already exists, especially with flat-faced animals.

3 Likes

Humans, can’t let Nature decide, if this is the right way? Maybe everything needs it’s time… So good breedings take time, not tools.

3 Likes

I guess with the amount of GMO that occurs in the food chain I should probably just accept it

1 Like

When I can’t grow food in my yard, I try to buy organic, non-gmo.

If the market didn’t buy the commercial produce, the producers would have to change their ways.

5 Likes

I the UK buying only organic is the only way to avoid GMO as its allowed into animal feed without labeling.
Its also the only way to avoid roundup and monsanto but I cant afford it.
its like 4-5 times more expensive for a lot of things
I buy it where I can.
I do grow my own fruits and veg in the summer but Im by no means self-sufficient

4 Likes

It is very difficult and the producers are under the burden of feeding humanity. A gruesome task.

The expense is real. Same here. I am going to ramp up my independence by learning to can my own.

This is an excellent source for heirloom vegetables. http://heirloomseeds.com/

Little humor built in there. :wink:

3 Likes

Yeah I figure your in US and a lot harder to avoid it than here?
We will lose a lot of safety laws when leaving EU

Build a wall :grinning:

deleted my other posts as off topic

Lift humanity up.

Educate!

99%

1 Like

Can’t wait to see him leave town.

But this site shouldn’t be contaminated with the likes of that guy!

PS, here is a case where the crispr may be the right call. Edit the Trump genes out of society!

3 Likes

He is a profane and miserable orange puppet for the ultra wealthy, nothing more.

Can I end it here?

2 Likes

GMOs are not inherently bad, as long as there is transparency and accountability.
If we genetically modify your priceless, proprietary, heirloom red beefsteak tomato plant to produce purple fruits, by taking the gene from an eggplant, we are not fundamentally changing the tomato. We know the dangers of a tomato that produces anthocyanins.
The powers-that-be need to be honest about the risks of foods that produce pesticides though, and agree, that maybe our food shouldn’t be producing certain compounds.
When a Monsanto farm contaminates a nearby organic crop through airborne pollination, it should be considered damage to the neighbors property, and the company should have to pay for remediation.

For Cannabis Breeders, CRISPR will let us take that purple trichome gene from that one girl you’ve been searching for forever. And that smell from that other one. You know that smell that you wish you could fill your pillow with? Imagine adding just those couple genes to your nice and consistent inbred strain, instead of having to mix in an entirely new gene pool and remove all the unwanted genes through generations of selection! I’m starting to sound like an infomercial now, Lmfao, but wait! There’s more!
Desert plants have a gene that allows them to dehydrate and go dormant until it rains again, when they come back to life. All plants have this gene. But it’s turned off in regular plants. If we could genetically modify drought-prone food sources to activate this gene, we could potentially save innumerable lives.

As long as we know the ramifications of the changes we’re making, it’s no different than traditional breeding.

4 Likes

Genetically-modified organisms present a few ethical hurdles, not the least of which is gene escape into the wild. Usually these organisms are designed with a genetic failsafe, ie they’re unable to produce a certain enzyme or protein without input from a grower, so they are designed to die should they find their way into the wild.

The most questionable practice when it comes to GMOs are the use of patented designer genes for resistance to patented herbicides. These genes let growers spray as many herbicides as they desire, which has a detrimental effect on the surrounding ecosystem and the food chain. But Monsanto doesn’t care, because Monsanto gets to sell more RoundUp when they push their RoundUp Ready GMO Corn.

Yes, feeding the world is a challenge. We’ve tripled worldwide agricultural production in the last 50 years, and we’re beginning to hit the law of diminishing returns when it comes to maximum yield per acre. There’s not enough arable land to continue the trend indefinitely.

Sooner or later, something’s gotta give. These days, growing your own food is the only guarantee that you’re going to have a reliable and safe source of food.

3 Likes

https://www.rareseeds.com
Baker creek heirloom seeds has been in my gardens since they started out. Beautifull color catalog in the male twice a year.
Even ran into em at the local farmers market in town.

3 Likes