New to coco grow need some help

Haha no not digging at you at all. People have been giving him shit around here lately for being biomass focused, but he’s very smart. While I do indeed feed 6.4-6.5, I don’t, personally, think that’s the right move for all media. Just curious to hear his explanation really.

4 Likes

Okay so as I mentioned earlier I was feeding it too high of ppm. (Don’t have EC meter. Using Apera TDS20 I believe is on 700 scale.?) I kept flushing with a low nutrient solution Accept kept the CAL-MAG at regular rate. Until run off was at ~700. Now feeding 550ppm veg, 560ppm flower. Which may be a little low? But for now, I figure that is the best until I see signs of nutrient deficiency.
Unfortunately, not able to do RO water so tap will have to do. PH run off at 6.5. Feeding 5.8…
As I mentioned earlier I was having Serious problems and d w c with algae bloom I couldn’t get under control. When running d w c Plants seemed best when doing PPM in veg of get this 420. Flower at 700ppm. Ph at 5.8 Using general hydroponics for a nova trio kind of my own mix , but based off of back of the bottle but but with lower amounts of grow (Green bottle)than Recommended. slightly higher amount of bloom (pink bottle) .dropping grow completely halfway through flower. I have been running this setup for several years with great results. Until the algae. I have given them Foliage feed of epson salts. Twice now three days apart. Coco certainly does react fast. I was able to halt.
Nutrient burned in its tracks. Things seem to be going better now. I have not let it do a full dry back/almost full dry back. But I think I will skip feeding today. I did take Doctor Bruce bugsby’s advice on mixing a 50/50 ratio of Coco core to coco chips with a 20%.perlite. I don’t know if I should feed at the p h of 6.3-6.5 as he suggests considering i’m getting a six point five run off?
That and i’ve been growing d w c for years at a 5.8-6.0 And it has always worked for me.
So I guess for now, I’m going to try a dry back. And keep the PPM at around 550 Until plants Tell me otherwise…

3 Likes

Here’s a couple of randomly chosen pics of my last successful d w c run. Is okay maybe more than a couple for l o l.

7 Likes

around the 3 minute mark.

4 Likes

Here is my current coco Run. Three different tents.
First pic. first tent plants seem to be turning around and doing pretty well, in veg. second pic. plants flipped to flower Six days ago. They also seem to be doing pretty well. last three pics are All of the same tent they are in veg. They’re doing the worst, especially the plant in the back left, which is also the very last pic. As you can see, there is a little bit of nutrient burn as the margins of the leaves are curling up but
That has stopped, especially in the first 2 tents. Third tent back left plant/ Worst looking plant, is still getting twisted leaf tips on new growth.

5 Likes

Nutrient concentration of MaxiGRO

.05% Mn

I use Maxibloom through entire cycle and also the amount is negligible. Plant still needs it though.

4 Likes

I’ve been reading about that. I think I’m going to switch over to maxibloom when The nutrients I have left over from d w c. Run out Right now using the.
What is it called ironhead or hammerhead? But only using micro and bloom and cow mag. The one in flower started using a bit of cool boom liquid.

2 Likes

Measuring runoff EC can be useful, and you can calculate substrate EC between runoff and intakes EC’s.

It’s runoff pH that’s pointless. Means nothing. Just make sure correct pH goes in, to runoff, with each fertigation.

HIGHLY recommend reading “Coco For Cannabis” by Dr. MJ Coco, also checking out his website. AWESOME features over there like grow light calculators n such

7 Likes

MaxiBloom is very similar to lucas formula

Some plants need more N though so you can always keep a lil maxigro around for a lil boost. I do not have any myself.

4 Likes

Just got done buffering my Coco with calmag and PH to around 5.8. Before hand I spray and rings the coco out before hand. The kind i got had lots of salt in it and needed to get that along with the smaller particles. Hope you can get it under control bud, have a good day!

3 Likes

Hi @MOX

I was having crappy looking plants this past fall with coco and perlite. I ended scraping my grow.

A few weeks later I found this and in my current grow started just feeding daily until runoff.

My plants are much happier. I’m using a mix of fabric bag and hempy style containers.

I do understand though that local water ph + coco quality can real factors. My local water is good and I must have been lucky with my coco purchase.
:canada: :green_heart:

4 Likes

Do you have pictures of your results before and after switching your Ph?
Inquiring minds want to know.

1 Like

I do the Lucas formula, very similar.

2 Likes

I shoot for between 5.8 and 6.2 in coco so try to target 6 ph.

4 Likes

I’ve noticed literally no difference, honestly

1 Like

O k everything in this pic was pulled out of d w c. with major algae. I was literally battling algae. Trying absolutely everything under the sun and trust me. I tried it all for about Five months. The plants just kind of sat there in stasis No new root growth In fact all the roots rotted and died back., no new leaf growth. A couple started to flower From stress… Sum are clones I’ve had going for quite a while.some seed. UnFortunately, I don’t have room for Mother’s so clone off of Clone off of Clone I know that’s not the best practice but i’ve had some going for over three years now.

2 Likes

You could see they started bouncing back. Getting a little bit more color into them and starting to grow new leaf.
In fact, a couple i given haircuts.

2 Likes

It sounds anaerobic.
You need to stop watering and force the roots to grow out and search for water and nutrients.

1 Like

Plants doing better picking up putting on new leaf but still yellow. I believe calcium magnesium Deficiency.
I also was feeding them far too much p p m.

2 Likes

Yes, sir or madam, as the case may be. Doing research I have discovered? It may be overwatering? I need to let coco dry out some and “reset.”?
No feeding today.

1 Like