New to everything

In a week or two my SO and I will begin growing for the first time. We have everything we need to grow as our FIL is licensed commerical grower and runs a grow supply store. I’m trying to learn as much as I possibly can so that way I won’t be left behind in the trails. Is there any advice anyone has for a new grower? I really don’t want to bother my FIL too much as his whole revolves around bud. I would appreciate any articles, websites, books, etc that you find helpful. So far I have read articles from Leafly and Prof. Lee’s intro to marijuana101.

P.S. The strains we will be growing are Member OG? And Blueberry muffin.

13 Likes

Hey welcome to the site. If you read through the grow FAQ here on the site you will be good to go! There are a lot of great people here as well. If you post a grow diary those Lovely folk will try their best to help ya out. :v:

8 Likes

I like Greg Greens Books

7 Likes

Search the site. Start with the basics. Work your way up and figure what works for you. Most growing advice is anecdotal. What works for one. Might not for another. Best of luck anyway

5 Likes

Start with a simple medium (ie soil or coco), basic nutes (don’t get 800 supplements etc) and DON’T OVERWATER lol.

Most of the work is just being patient and letting the plant do its thing, alot of new growers feel pressured to always be doing something to/with their plants and end up doing more harm than good.

12 Likes

:100: Beacher. I’ve used a few major nute suppliers. Now I’ll stick with megacrop and finishing with dragon force. works for me and had 4 runs with more than satisfactory results. Smokes been A1. cheap and cheerful. Smash it in coco. Speed. aeration and everything suits me nicely and it’s cheap enough.

4 Likes

Ya I’ve been loving the mega crop lately too. Had some issues with it for a bit, but I was overfeeding and giving them koolbloom on top of that…no good! I now go 1.2g/L for everything veg and bud and they’re pretty much perfect. Also in coco too which I just love after years of promix.

4 Likes

I don’t use fancy Coco. I use stuff from poundland (Google it you’ll understand) I flush the shit out of it and base it up usually as its a touch salty. I back off the MC before the dragon force but I really can’t fault it. (Wasn’t happy in flood and drain with it) but in all fairness I’d say it is a soil/Coco nute. Do you not push hard anyway? I listen to the plant for feed amounts depending on strain.

4 Likes

Ya I’ve always been a light feeder, I generally would never go past maybe 80% of recommended full strength. I figured the mega might be a bit more forgiving due to being ‘organic’, but it has a tendency to build up salts over time.

3 Likes

Welcome to OG! The FAQ is a great start. Then find some topics to dig in on in the posts. For example, if you plan to go soil & organics, you can start pretty simply, but then ramp up your efforts to be less dependent on bottled nutes and work w feeding the soil & the microbes. Navigate the various topics and just read a lot & ask questions. I feel bad with how much questions I ask, but no one has told me to knock it off yet! In fact,everyone is super chill and more than happy to help. I hope you find what youre looking for here.

Out of curiosity, where are you leaning as a starting point? Size of flowering area, type/size of light, soil vs. Hydro, etc.

3 Likes

Go @mrsG, we are rooting for you!

Lot’s a strong experience here on OG, please ask questions on anything that doesn’t make sense…

5 Likes

FAQ section and book are good places to start. You could go crazy with to many sources and constantly fiddling with things. I’d almost say pick a method and a mentor and stick with it getting your feet wet. Chances are your FIL would love to help. But don’t be afraid to ask questions here. Make sure to get a big bottle of LITFA!
Start a grow journal on here and you’ll get plenty of good advice. You’ll find this a great place without a lot of fighting know it alls

3 Likes

Plant those seeds and water them now and then.

It’s only as complex as you want to make it.

Keep smiling.

8 Likes

5 Likes

I did just that a few days ago :grin: pretty excited.

4 Likes

My friend great advice I have over the years seen more new growers then I can count

love their plants to death because they just cannot leave them alone and let them grow

I been on lots and lots of grow forums and have never once seen big buds come from a bottle

good ferts are indeed important, but there is a lot of snake oil to be had for large coin

I have use Peters/Jack’s classic since 1983 and for the price there is none better IMHO

but less is more, you can always give more nutes to your plants but it can be a bitch to get rid of too much

I with you on soil, soil less, coco, soil is more forgiving as it buffers what you add

inside I have always used Pro Mix BX/HP with lots of added perlite vermiculite

I like a light soil that drys and drains fast makes it very hard to over water

but in the end growing is finding what works the best for you, your setup and plants

all the best and be well

Dequilo

4 Likes