No-Till & Organics Q&A's

Yeah that is what I do. Or I will cut back the cover crop in said area and dig a hole for the plant. I try not to go into pots bigger than square 1s before their last transplant into the 10 gal bags.

3 Likes

I saw it on here, very well may have been your picture. Blue solo cup and I think a clover cover crop. Didnā€™t think anything of it when I saw it or I would have noted whose pic it was so I could give credit.

2 Likes

I think that may be another member for sure. I have mine posted on IG. No worries either way.

2 Likes

It is revitaā€¦lolā€¦holy shit wow. Are you watching my grow room!? Best shit around.

Edit: Ohā€¦by the way, we have the best kept secret in midwest growing. OEF for the win.

2 Likes

Lol. Google search of how you described it lead me right to it. Iā€™ve never used them. Iā€™m from Midwest but I moved to Cali for a couple years, then leave to go somewhere new.

1 Like

Q: How do you like to clone? Do you stay true to your organic practices or use clone gels? Do you like to use oxy cloners, or humidity domes? Or take a lot of cuts and no dome?

3 Likes

I use aloe gel when taking clones. Used honey before too

3 Likes

I use aloe as well when I use the domes. I tried aloe in an oxycloner, it seems to cause issues.

2 Likes

What problems do you get using aloe in your oxy cloner?

I use aloe on my clones in my oxy cloner. After 10 days if they are not showing roots they get some more on the stems.

3 Likes

Kelp, aloe, honey made into a paste substance. Also I add aloe to the water I put cuts in to hold. Coco coir helps a lot instead of just reused soil with extra aeration. A little fulvic acid if ya got it.

6 Likes

Rapid rooters, clonex gel, and clonex nutrients. I use salt fertilizer on my mother plants as well. I only grow organic after cloning.

8 Likes

I see my best results using a Cottonwood/Willow new leaf tip sprout ferment just after cut and hold for up to an hour (busy mom at inopportune times) then dipped in honey to seal up woundsā€¦water it all in with birch sap before condensing it into syrup - its awesome as its 100% free though when I run out (or donā€™t store it right :smirk:) cold water to shock the cuttings then a dip into clonex gel works too :wink: I did a comparison a few yrs ago and it was pretty close to being the sameā€¦ so either/or imho

For me, its all about upping humidity with domes, cups etc and avoiding spraying the cuttings themselves - everywhere but for the 1st wk or 2ā€¦kelp in the peat pod hydration or seedling soil is a must so the roots get all the vitamins they need when they form then daily aloe foliars when visibly see the roots or their nodes - doing this I can let air in on day 4-6 -> do a 1Tb to 1/2c nutrient drench depending on size pot then close up til day 8-10 and repeatā€¦ this gives me a nice slip for a 1 gallon pot within 10-18 days - typically :wink:

6 Likes

I want to try this method, but sadly all 3 of those trees I have an allergy to. Touching them gives a deep tissue itch that makes me scratch myself bloody to stop the sensation. and obviously being near when budding is a bad idea for me. Oh well. Looks like Iā€™m stuck with clonex and less natural products for that end or Iā€™ll need a ventilator mask and a good pair of gloves to handle them without being a snot, tear, and saliva covered mess as I cough and sneeze myself to a headache :sweat_smile:

What other trees and plants work similar? I canā€™t be allergic to all of them. What are the odds?:sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Aloe Vera works well, thatā€™s what I use. Just cut a bit of leaf off it will heal itself quickly. Just stick the cutting in the cut end of the aloe leaf and make sure the stem is nice and gooey, squeeze a bit into the hole in the soil and put it in.

7 Likes

Iā€™ve used aloe before actually. I liked how it helped germinate seeds actually

4 Likes

Yeah, that would be a bad thing for you and definitely not worth it - I donā€™t know of any outside of the Willow family (Salicaceae)ā€¦willow, cottonwood, aspen and poplar. Many use aloe with great results especially foliar spraying

3 Likes

I might be a aloe vera user for my option thenšŸ˜… otherwise Iā€™ll needing protection like Iā€™m dealing with dangerous chemicals. Not impossible, but thatā€™ll get expensive fast.

IDK if it had any difference on how she grew or not, but I used aloe on Zelda when germinating and in the soil around her seed to keep the soil around the area moist longer when it was 10% average humidity at the time if I remember correctly.

2 Likes

Q: What do you do to treat plant nutrient deficiencies? What kind of teas have you made that focus on specific deficiencies other than nitrogen?

1 Like

I am new to the No-Till scene. But I normally top dress the plants in need, according to the deficiency. It seemed to work for me?

3 Likes

My teas usually incorporate every thing, I am looking for bacteria, not specific, N, P or K amounts.

So I use ewc, compost, kelp and neem meal. If I think I have a deficiency, I might add some Jobes organic, bone meal for phosphorus, blood meal for nitrogen, my cover crops usually take care of the nitrogen side, also I might add a high P bat guano, after they have stretched. In tea or topdressed. Malted barley powder tea is good for enzymes and aminos, donā€™t go past 4 hours soaking as it becomes toxic after that. If I really want a big boost of bacteria I will add a sugar, like molasses or guava syrup.

Also a couple of additives in the water are, coconut water, silica, fresh seaweed, dandelions, magnesium sulphate or Epsom salts and cal mag.

13 Likes