Balcony with a view and Fatty's Live Vinegar House

Hi OG fam, I’ve never documented a grow on line so should be fun. I live in Central America with my wife and daughter and grow on my balcony, during the dry season it’s surprisingly quite low humidity most of the year which is a rare commodity in these parts… so I’m blessed to be able to grow indica leaning strains along with the thin leaf varieties best suited to equatorial areas. Because of the natural 12/12 light cycle I bring the veging plants inside at night for an extra 6 hours of supplemental lighting, nothing too crazy just a few CFL’s to keep them awake. Flipping plants to flower is just a matter of leaving them outside, this allows for multiple harvests through out the year so I keep them rotating. Due to not enough privacy the balcony is my only option and unfortunately that means they only get 3 hours of direct sun through out the day although they do get a lot of natural light through the semi transparent roof but it’s not ideal… I also have every bug good and bad known to man visiting and the wet season can be gnarly so challenges come regularly but I’m starting to get it dialed in :call_me_hand:t4:
Right now I’m growing:
818 Headband
24kr Gold
Sour Diesel
Purple Kush
Mimosa(bag seed)
Gelato Sorbet
Gorilla Cookies
Pineapple Express
Bruce Banner
Gorilla Glue #4
Ice Cream Cake
Chocolope
Chem Dog x GG4 (my friends cross)

All my strains except the bag seed were attained through different sources which is exactly what your not meant to do but all my seed stock is in Australia and covid fucked up any plan of picking that up so I went with clones. Any of you guys who do seed runs have any luck sending them to Central America? :pray:t4:
I’m soon crossing over to 3gl fabric pots and ditching the plastic, it makes watering too much work. I grow in my own soil mix which is 1/3 worm castings, 1/3 rice husks, 1/3 soil or peat moss and some amendments rock dust, lime stone, guano, bokashi etc. I have 4 worm bins and I’m constantly trying to improve on my compost. I feed mostly water, spraying regular SST’s, Aloe, coconut water and LAB’s. I have a bunch of ferments and vinegars that occasionally get used too I am playing around with KNF and JADAM but still a lot of testing and learning to be done there.
Hope to have a few of you gurus chime in, bless :v:t4:

43 Likes

51 Likes

Chocolope, the chocolate Thai in this cross feels right at home

34 Likes

Very nice man!

5 Likes

Next round

16 Likes

Lowers on the gorilla cookies

19 Likes

My daughter’s toy box/clone box

13 Likes

Wifey says she’s got nothing to wear, I see lots of options…

14 Likes

That is quite the variety. Lots of nice strains. Can’t help on the nute area as I do hydro. My balcony still has snow on it so I’m so envious.

5 Likes

I lived in Scandinavia for 8 years mate so I know all about snow on the balcony, this is a nice change :sunny:

9 Likes

Sounds like a great time lots of interesting strains there following along buddy! Looking forward to seeing some sexy plants!

4 Likes

I can’t wait to see the balcony in a few months. It’s gonna look like a jungle!

3 Likes

Nice mate! I’ve got the KOH coming at the end of the month, looking forward to making the soap and adding that to the program. Might reach out before hand for a couple of safety tips if that’s cool? :v:t4:

3 Likes

This is the biggie, but you stated it so I won’t beleaguer the point :nerd_face: but it would replace having to do:

…in my humble experience, the light intensity is the main determinant of yield, in general.

:hugs: Not a criticism, just a cooperative perfectionism thing :sweat_smile: I fully appreciate the challenges of laws & bugs & weather.

:v:

:evergreen_tree:

5 Likes

I would love a change like that! A very different way of growing. Looking forward to seeing some finished plants :grinning: :+1: :canada:

5 Likes

No problem I think I have a little snip of the process in my 2019 thread around post 100# IRRCC .

4 Likes

Thanks for having a look MG, I actually live in the jungle with monkeys visiting regularly so I’m looking forward to adding to the diversity of the plant life out here and watching the humming birds and bees coming in for some nectar

4 Likes

You should be getting that change for July and August. At least that’s when I expect mine :joy::+1:

3 Likes

Hi @cannabissequoia I appreciate you commenting on that because apart from pests it is my number one challenge/concern. The plants are 'awake at sunrise leaves up ‘praying’ due to the intensity of the sun here in the tropics but the sun doesn’t hit the leaf surface until around 1:30 which is the hottest part of the day so it’s pretty intense for the girls, I’ve had to cull certain varieties that were more suited to indoor environments due to them not being able to withstand the heat pressure. Yields definitely suffer and flower size is far from full potential but the quality and terpenes are there at least. I would love some tips if you or anyone else knows of techniques to store photosynthesis in the plants cells longer… probably not possible but if so I am all ears :call_me_hand:t4:

8:30am(5hrs before sun hits) up and at em

11 Likes

I lived out in BC in 99/2000, love that place pretty amazing part of the world

5 Likes