Noob Diary(Blue Dream Autos...maybe?)

5/7/2022: Got tails on the two SD x SD x WCT beans.

1 Like

5/11/2022: Updated main post with the update below:

The two little seedlings are struggling a bit I think. Maybe the shift to the tent light is stressing them, the round leaves are curling down.

1 Like

They look just fine my friend.

Those little leaves will do that early

My seedlings are perfectly content :wink:

ok cool, thanks @Eagles009

1 Like

Also seedlings can look funky sometimes. I donā€™t ever worry about them til you get a few nodes. Iā€™ve had many weirdo seedlings turn into perfectly normal looking 2-3 week olds.

Assuming your light, nutrients, and watering are on point. Light stress is real. Better alittle stretch than stress / burn IMHO.

I havenā€™t had time to go get light readings on the little ones, they are up a little higher than the Blue Dream as I just put their tray on top of the pots I had in there. So I may need to them lower.

1 Like

They look fine in that regard based on stretch. Perhaps a bit too far even. But they will grow into it and you can support stem with more medium. Like a hill.

Yeah I was going to add a bit more soil on top then when I drop the bag in the pots just put them in a bit deeper instead of flush.

1 Like

Exactly how I handle it. Just be careful not to injure the main stem in the process. They can take a lot. Thatā€™s a death sentence.

Updated main post 5/17/2022: Been a few days since my last update. I started giving the auto a proper watering and nutrients as it is officially in veg. I may have waited too long as the leaves were starting to yellow, but after a good watering and a couple days she started to get some color back. The seedlings are doing well too.

5/20/2022: Already sick of prepping water, so I set this up today.

1 Like

Nice! Can you give us a rundown on your build, or a link to your inspiration?

Sure! Not a whole lot to it. I found a clean food grade barrel on facebook marketplace for a few dollars. Prices around me varied from $5-$60ā€¦some people think their trash is treasure for sure. Then I took a trip to menards to grab this rain diverter kit, and the connector & spigot kit from the same company.. The downspout on my place are only 2x3, if you have 3x4ā€™s thereā€™s a kit thatā€™s half the price and comes with everything you need.. Amazon also has plenty of options, and many garden centers likely do as well. Also need a few cinder blocks and a couple pavers to have a flat surface for it to sit on.

Installation was fairly easy. All you need is a drill with a phillips head attachment, a 1.5" hole saw, and a hacksaw. Cut the downspout where you want the diverter. If your barrel isnā€™t air tight youā€™ll want to put the diverter level with the barrel and the inlet a couple inches down the side. If you have a sealed barrel you can put it higher and the inlet on the top like mine. Once the barrel is full water should backflow up the hose and runoff will go out of the downspout as normal.

Once the diverter is installed cut the holes for the inlet and the spigot, install those and attach the hose and you should be ready to go. There are some thunderstorms headed my way tonight so it should fill pretty quickly and Iā€™ll find out if my barrel is actually air tight or if I need get some sealant to fix it.

1 Like

Nice writeup!

Yeah, Iā€™m about to go on the hunt for some, some peeps on Craigslist got the for 100 and some for 15 lol. I wonder if the 100$ ones have some kind of gold filament? :upside_down_face:

You did a clean job for sure.

Let us know how it holds up!

1 Like

yeah itā€™s ridiculous what some people want. I paid $25 for mine, it had already been cleaned, and the seller delivered, there were some for $5-10 but the extra bit was worth not having to sanitize and drive to pick up

1 Like

Yah thatā€™s super nice, I want to find one like that haha. Let us know how it holds up in the rainā€¦would be super neat to put out a rain measurement device to compare against, idk what those were called lol

5/21/2022: Been having some issue this week. With the increase of light now that Iā€™m in veg, and the feeding I think I either overdid it on the nutes or it was too hot, or both. The tent was in the high 80ā€™s and the humidity was down to 35% after kicking the fan on. I had the fan on high and it wasnā€™t cooling the tent well. I had the vivosun fan and filter. So I ordered the AC Infinity Cloudline setup and installed it today.

As far as the possible nutrient burn, I didnā€™t get pics but I trimmed the two early leaves from my auto, they were all miscolored and curling up bad. I didnā€™t do a full flush but the past two waterings have been just PHā€™d tap water, nothing extra, and they seem to be doing better. The auto is still drooping bad though. You can see some of the similar markings on the leaves of the photo plant on the left as well.

Any thoughts?

5/22/2022: With the changes in temp and humidity it looks like the auto is starting to perk back up. the soil was pretty dry so I gave them all a watering with toned down nutes a few minutes ago so time to see how they react to that.

2 Likes

5/24/2022: Sheā€™s very short and bushy. Not sure how Iā€™m going to LST it if thereā€™s no vertical growth. Being an auto I know pruning isnā€™t recommended, but with as big as the fan leaves are I might have to.

1 Like

5/24/2022: Went ahead and snipped 2 of the big fan leaves from one of the early nodes. Then I started LST. Seems thereā€™s a pretty big mix of opinions on pruning autos, but the leaves were so big and the plant so short that I didnā€™t want a big mess of leaves touching the substrate and blocking air flow. Might have to take a couple more in the next few days. 5/24/2022: Sheā€™s very short and bushy. Not sure how Iā€™m going to LST it if thereā€™s no vertical growth. Being an auto I know pruning isnā€™t recommended, but with as big as the fan leaves are I might have to.

1 Like