Occasional seed found in female bud

We have found an occasional seed in buds harvested from female plants. One seed from one strain and about half dozen seeds from a bud in a second strain.

I checked those girls every day and never saw any balls.

Any advice or comments on what might have caused it? Thanks.

EDIT: the single seed we got from one plant has been germinated and is growing like crazy. Bet your sweet bippy I will be watching every day for signs of balls!!!

15 Likes

There was a male flower you didn’t see.

It probably happened early in flower and the male flower was enveloped by the expanding buds.

It just takes one stamen and a few dozen grains of pollen. Happens all the time.

33 Likes

well, either that… Or there’s a holy ghost for pot plants too :wink: ROFL

sorry. waked n baked…

21 Likes

Yep what Vernal said. I’ve occasionally seen plants that throw balls inside the buds around week 3-4. Only way to know is to open up a couple buds at week 3-4 and check.

9 Likes

Grow it out bromigos…

6 Likes

Neighbors plants. Or you brought it in on your clothes.

7 Likes

I’ve seen many times when a plant leaves one single seed up high in the colas, my mentor and I as well as some very well known cultivators believe that it’s the female plants way of ensuring the strain lives on. I’ve seen it several times over the years, one single perfectly formed, perfectly viable bean, 99% of the time it will be female as well. If you had several though, not the same thing IMO

31 Likes

If u got a handful of beans from it then grow em, if they are all fems something threw up balls, if they are boys and girls somehow they got some stray pollen from a male

5 Likes

I don’t think it’s any different than any female plant throwing a stamen. Whether you get 1 or 100 isn’t distinct. It’s just how much pollen is produced, how fertile it is, how much lands elsewhere. It’s just unintentionally made fem seeds.

11 Likes

That is exactly what I was thinking. Usually if it’s only a couple of seeds, it’s called rodelization. And the beans are feminized.

11 Likes

I’ve seen it happen so many times over 25 years and he’s seen it even further back. We’ve talked with some well known breeders who were in fact who told us the details. Makes sense, find it in high high end buds from dispensaries, delivery services too. That’s actually how I originally acquired Chem-Jones before we lost her. One single bean in a 1/2 ounce bud in a pound , was the best seed I’ve ever found still to this day.

28 Likes

I knew there was a term they used, couldn’t remember it. Thank you :pray:t2:

3 Likes

Kinda feels like a unicorn escaped back into the wild huh? Haha

4 Likes

Are you saying that beans produced through unintentional stamens are better or different than beans produced through other means? That doesn’t hold up, it takes at least 4 weeks (more like 5-6) to produce a viable fully formed seed. Which means the stamens occurred in early flower ie a “regular herm bagseed”. Rodelization the way you describe it is a fully budded out flower self seeding to “preserve itself” which means what a 12 week harvested flower, at minimum. Soma used to make fems that way. Run plants way past harvest until they produced a few flowers. It isn’t any different than a plant sprayed with STS, IMO.

9 Likes

Pretty damn sure that’s not what I said at all my friend

7 Likes

Clarify it for me then.

A bagseed is a bagseed.

If it makes one seed it’s “rodelization” if it makes 10 it’s a herm?

2 Likes

Except blocking ethylene is mechanical and not hereditary like using intersex plants… :wink:

13 Likes

As I said plant leaves one single bean, to ensure the strain lives on as I’ve been told by breeders in the industry, multiple.

3 Likes

What breeders told you this?

1 Like

Couple seeds “rodelization”

2 Likes