Identifying gender from seed thread

Alright ladies and gents, I wanna talk advanced techniques and see if there is any members in the group that is gonna be popping seeds that would like to take close up pics of their seeds “volcano” with their guess of gender based off the info provided and take part in this DOCUMENTED research of the method

sexingseeds

All that’s asked is you use reg beans of ANY cultivar, take a pic of the seed and post, and report back in 4-6 weeks if the plant ended up a male or female so we can record the data of how accurate this method is.

I’ve personally had 85-90% success with finding females in two seperate runs of 32 plants with only 3 males each run and a gnarly herm on one of em. So that leads me to believe there is something to this but would like to see more evidence and what better way than to test with everyone’s random bags of seeds

Let’s do some research y’all!?

34 Likes

My personal opinion of that particular doc you show above.

34 Likes

Don’t get me wrong bud, that’s what science is about. Do your own tests, gather data, I could be wrong. My opinion is not something for folks to rely on :wink:

7 Likes

Lol well it’s worth a lil research, it’s worked for me and we all love popping beans, might end up a useful thread for the ones with limited space :wink:

3 Likes

That’s why I want clear pictures of the seeds :volcano:, that way if we had a plant that ended up the opposite of what we expected we can look back at the seed and decide if it was a trait we misjudged or method isn’t accurate. I just cleaned out my indoor rooms getting em prepped and planning on popping about 32 seeds so gonna be adding my own pics too :wink:

5 Likes

its bro science imo aswell.

can take feminized seeds that show that way and guess what breaks that instantly

5 Likes

I will never argue with someone gathering empirical data. Nothing wrong with proving a point as right or wrong.

10 Likes

Well that’s why I’m requesting regs be used in this, it’s all about becoming a sharper grower, if u can learn to look at a seed and pretty much know male or female it can save a lot of resources and time, whats there to lose looking for a trick of the trade?

Was on the fence about including reg autos in this but might also be valuable seeing if any of the results differ there too

5 Likes

Also done it in the past literally probably a decade ago with photo regs, was false then gonna be false now.

6 Likes

Trust me bro, I don’t think there is one grower out that that didn’t wish it was true. If it were that easy to determine sex before planting it would be a game changer. That said this has been out there for a long time and if it worked I am guessing would be the standard. Look forward to seeing the data you gather from the experiment.

4 Likes

So should I be buying lottery tickets since I’ve personally had 85-90% success with the method? I thought it was a rediculous claim too…till I did it on two seperate 32 plant runs of 1 seed per cultivar digging in regs. Small scale results showed success, so when an experiments goes well it’s time to move it to a bigger scale and a wider range of cultivars

Who did it in the past and was it just a one time thing or multiple runs and was any of it documented?

@DougDawson I mean it has been my game changer cuz I have been picking my seeds like that with great success and implemented into my methods, at this point its being able to have enough documentation to verify it to make the claim to others that I’m interested in. I don’t think the claim just appeared out of thin air by any means

4 Likes

Thats a very good way of collecting honest an open data by involving everyone who wishes to participate. Its a good method to use an is open so others can see. As long as every one works together in a honest way an does their bit accurately, this will be a good blue print thread for doing many many other things. Working together I dont care how much money big corps have but as a community you can achieve many things an out do the coats no mater how big they think they are. Good luck on getting some good data folks, I may contribute some pics myself.

9 Likes

Don’t take me wrong bud, I am encouraging you to continue. I am more than happy to be proved wrong. Just because I don’t believe in a thing does not mean you should not explore it. It’s not like I am some kind of expert. If you feel it’s working for you than that’s awesome. Get folks involved, prove your theory, I am on your side here.

12 Likes

Yup! We’re on the same page bud;) data don’t lie! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@AzSeaindooin420 , in your previous smaller goes at this did you find a larger number of the plants to be female or male ? Thanks.

2 Likes

I’ll participate in my next round of regs!

3 Likes

I did 2 seperate runs of 32 plants 1 seed per cultivar and 1 run had 3 males and 2nd run had 3 males and 1 gnarly herm, not full proof but pretty damn close

2 Likes

Ok from those results were it looks like we saw an high number of females. Thanks. I just asked for my own interest as im sure the plant would in the interest of survival an making more seeds/children for the next generation produce a larger amount of females. One male has the ability to pollinate many many females so it would make sense to naturally evolve in to a plant that puts out a higher number of females to males. Just something I was interested in. I just wish I was able to manipulate a seed line to give a very high percentage of males when needed. Im still working on that though.
You didn’t do to bad though trying to pick all females.

4 Likes

Well it would be nice in that regard being able to pick out a male in a pinch if something was needed for a breeding project that time and space is an issue.

3 Likes

Yes it would be great. So is a interesting thread to keep an eye on. I have tried in the past by these methods to try to select males. I wasn’t very successful myself. But then again I wasn’t doing things very accurately an also really recording the results. Being able to see things on a bit more of a bigger scale an documented properly will be much better to see.

2 Likes