Off grid solar led growing

What are those cobs your talking about?

Chip On Board LED’s which are stunningly bright for not much power. Common replacement nowadays for the old halogen yard flood lights etc

1 Like

I’ll have to research them

1 Like

The likes of CREE COB chips can be very expensive and that’s before you add heatsinks and drivers etc and to be honest i wouldn’t want the things to be overheating in an already hot and humid greenhouse.

You could always go cheap, and i mean real cheap :grin: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-30W-12V-LED-Floodlights-Outdoor-Garden-Wall-Security-Flood-Lights-Waterproof-/173269282180

1 Like

I like cheap lol but will those really be worth the time and effort? I don’t mind the time or effort if I’ll see my hard work in my yield or potency

1 Like

Way i see it is they are so cheap they have to be worth a try and with the blue/white light extending your day things shouldn’t stretch too much. Have a hunt around pal, i knew about these things cos i have a womble friend who’s got greenhouses and was not looking to spend much as usual so i kind of found them for him as a bit of a joke really. Thing is he’s not laughing, he thinks they are a great idea. They aint much money down the drain if they don’t work well cos you connect them straight to your 12V battery with no hassle over drivers etc. Oh and they are water proof to a degree which other types wont be unless you spend over 1000 dollars on a professional horticulture led bar or similar which needs your inverter to run it :thumbsup:

You could get a couple to try for the price of a decent pizza here and if they work ok get some more :thumbsup:

1 Like

Like my mentor would say if the universe wants it to work it will work. So I guess it’s worth a shot

2 Likes

If you were looking to fully light a space like a grow tent or something they might not be worth bothering with but you just need supplemental lighting so why not give them a try. You should be able to find a cheap supplier near you if you have a hunt on feebay or amacon :thumbsup:

1 Like

If the goal is 500 watts of light, then all you need is 11 sol strips for a total of around $220. Then add a few Meanwell LDD drivers like @ReikoX suggested above - which are very cheap - like under $5 ea. I havent done the math on the drivers required but it would be maybe another $50 at most. Add in a few bucks for mounts and wire and you’re done.

Should be able to do all that for the $400 budget easily.

Of course, that does NOT include the solar cells, batteries, battery charger, etc etc. That part will cost far more than the LED’s or any other kind of lights. Rough guess = $1000 Plus or minus.

2 Likes

Yup and on top of all that the strips are not really suitable in this case because they need to be within 12" of the canopy to be efficient and that’s not very practical in a greenhouse. You really need overhead lighting that wont block the sun too much :thumbsup:

Check out these cat tracks I found on my car this morning. . . Time to go hunting

Edit- it’s not letting me post pictures

There we go

2 Likes

Good thing to have around an outdoor grow. It’ll keep rabbits, and rodents away and you wont even need to pay it’s vet bills :grin:

2 Likes

I can’t let it get the wife’s animals. it left signs of trying to get into the dog yard

It’ll be smelling their dinner and wanting a share. Chase the lazy bugger off with some firecrackers

1 Like

We dont keep there food outside so it’s mostly wanting them for dinner but I’m just gonna trap it. Maybe relocate it after or keep it for a few days so it never wants to come around again

1 Like

Cats will do the exact opposite of what we want them to, They are thrawn by nature so if you make it stay around for a couple of days you probably wont ever see it again when you let it loose. Especially if it thinks you want it to stay :grin:

We have these here but they are getting very rare now - Scottish Wildcat (can get to about double the size of a big domestic moggy)

5 Likes

I think I have a mountain lion problem but those Scottish Wildcats look awesome

2 Likes

@99PerCent my green house. More of a hot frame sorry these took so long . . . Not much to wait for in my opinion

5 Likes

These look very efficient, and hey, the plants think they are super fancy :grinning:

1 Like