📚 OG Book Club - (non-Cannabis)

Pretty much any Cormac McCarthy fiction.

Big earlier Steven King fan, my list of Choice Cuts:

Salem’s Lot
It
Pet Sematary
The Shining
The Dead Zone

And the first three short story collections, which I feel is actually his best work:

Different Seasons
Night Shift
Skeleton Crew

His later stuff is more hit and miss, guess him being loaded all the time really helped.

7 Likes

dashes loudly downstairs, bursting noisily into the room
Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates by Tom Robbins!!!
I mean, uh… yea…Fierce Invalids is without question my favorite book of all time. Wickedly funny, blazing satire, excellent characters…Tom Robbins is a wizard.

6 Likes

the best book for young country boys. where the red fern grows all kinds of moral lessons this boy learns.

4 Likes

Cormac McCarthy deserves wider recognition, IMO
No Country for Old Men was so very much better than the movie.
Blood Meridian was one of the most disturbing books I have ever read.

6 Likes

Ive got a rather large collection on cloud, over 1TB. Books, FOIA, leaks, historical documents, etc. I’d be happy to share them if anyone is interested. Last time I checked there’s roughly 70,000 unique pdf/epub files

3 Likes

we’ve got a thread for that stuff:

:slight_smile:

My OP/intent was more about real ones, good ones, influential ones, etc… 'chit that’ll make you :bulb: feel enlightened about heavy stuff :joy:

:v:

:evergreen_tree:

6 Likes

Ah nice. Well in that case ive got a rare copy of the 1956 Rockefeller Panel Reports :thinking: that’s about it tho.
If anyone is interested I might just digitize it. Last time i checked it was $300 on Amazon

3 Likes

What’s that?

Yes, Sir…I have yet to warm up to Ebooks, I have a couple of tablets and large libraries I built on Google Books, Kindle and ibooks. However, I still prefer real books. I have been thinking of getting a dedicated E-reader like Kindle Paperwhite in the hope that I may be able to more warmly embrace Ebooks.

4 Likes

Best book I’ve read in a long time. Dense but rewarding. The history of world politics through the lens of taxation. Recommended.

6 Likes

Depends on how you feel about the Rockefellers I guess. Its titled “Prosperity for America”, but seeing as how I see Rockefellers, Gates (both well documented) as psychopathic eugenicists, it may as well be titled “Authoritarian Murder for Decades in America”.
Basically its a blueprint for everything we see happening today, jusy written 60 years ago

3 Likes

https://g.co/kgs/zhtdqv

For anyone open to a “no spiritual authority” approach to life, Krishnamurti is a winner in my book.

3 Likes

That type of stuff is good. Somewhat obscure historical references cuts through the clutter on events decades later. I appreciate those who study such things.

3 Likes

I think my favorite is Child of God, NCFOM is also choice and my favorite movie as well. Really no bad options.

2 Likes

Crisis in The Red Zone. Richard Preston. This guy really has a flair for telling these stories. This is a chronicle of the 2014 Ebola outbreak, but it traces the history of Ebola from its discovery in '76.

Crisis

I just read this one, and The Hot Zone during the last month or so. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks, I’m on it!

1 Like

Such a good book. Loved it as a kid. Gave it to my daughter and she thought it was boring and stopped reading.

1 Like

yea a girl would think so i would think. a country boy would LOVE it espically the movie try to get the girl to watch the movie.

Just finished Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk.

Was a great read start to finish. If you like fiction, it’s definitely enjoyable and well written :+1:

3 Likes

When I started reading to my children, I rediscovered the real treasure. Simple, but complex on all levels, emotionally charged …
All these books are filled with some free, honorable, anarchist spirit. They are worth countless times more than all school materials
Of course there are more, but these were pure pleasure. Spiced with a little Jackberry

And perhaps my favorite book ever
51DlA-OrvVL.SX382_BO1,204,203,200

10 Likes