OG’ers vs The Munchies: Recipe Thread

I know some of us have some good recipes to share. I’ll start this off with some KUNG PAO CHICKEN!!!

To tenderize the meat:
1/2 tsp egg white
2 tsp cornstarch
1 pinch salt
1 tsp Chinese cooking wine (or dry sherry)

Boneless chicken breasts or thighs (11 to 12 ounces total)
3 garlic cloves
An equivalent amount of ginger
5 spring onions, white parts only (or use white onion)
A handful of dried chiles (about 10)
1 tsp whole Sichuan pepper (if you can find it)
3 ounces (75 grams) roasted peanuts
Green and Red pepper
1/2 Cup vegetable or grape seed oil

FOR THE SAUCE:
1 tblsp sugar
¾ tsp potato starch or cornstarch
2 tsp soy sauce
1 tblsp Chinkiang vinegar (or use balsamic vinegar)
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tblsp chicken stock or water

Cut chicken as evenly as possible into half-inch strips, then cut strips into small cubes. Place in a small bowl. Add marinade ingredients to bowl. Mix well and set aside.

Peel and thinly slice garlic and ginger. Chop green and red pepper into pieces roughly the same size as the chicken. Chop spring onions into chunks as long as their diameter (to match the chicken cubes). Snip chiles in half or into sections, discarding their seeds.

In a small bowl, combine the sauce ingredients.

Heat a seasoned wok over a high flame. Add oil, dip half of the meat into the oil and move around until half-cooked, around 2 minutes; remove with slotted spoon and drain from oil. Repeat for the other half.

Drain off all but 2 tbsp of oil in heated wok, add chilies, peppercorn, ginger, garlic, green and red pepper, and spring onions and continue to stir-fry until they are fragrant. Add the chicken back to the wok.

Give sauce a stir and add to wok, continuing to stir and toss. As soon as the sauce has become thick and shiny, add the peanuts, stir them in and serve.

5 Likes

BLEU CHEESE AND BACON POTATO SALAD!!!

This recipe is more of a guideline. The most important things are the vinaigrette, bacon, and cheese. It doesn’t HAVE to be blue cheese; you can use feta or goat cheese. I add a ton more bacon than just four pieces. And I also make more vinaigrette. Do as you please :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Have you seen this link?

You might pick up a few goodies from here too.

Here is a link to my crude but effective chocolates.

2 Likes

Sure did! More pictures than recipes though. I wanna cook what you’re eating! Post your recipes if you got ‘em!

1 Like

BASIL CHICKEN AND RICE!!! (For the health conscious OG’er)

No exact measurements for this one, other than the cilantro rice recipe. All I can say is don’t go crazy with the sauce.

Pesto sauce (homemade or jar. I like CostCo’s.)
Heavy cream
Shaved almonds
Grape tomatoes
Shaved Parmesan cheese
Baked chicken breast (marinated or rubbed. I like a Baja style marinade for this.)
Cilantro Lime rice

Mix pesto and cream in food processor. Taste it; add more pesto or cream to your liking.

Make cilantro lime rice (see bottom for recipe)

Dice baked chicken into 1/2-1” cubes. Halve or quarter the tomatoes, depending on the size. In a large bowl toss some chicken, pesto sauce, some rice, and a small amount of the shaved almonds together. Transfer to serving bowl. Top with shaved Parmesan, more almonds, and tomatoes.

CILANTRO LIME RICE
Ingredients

1 teaspoon vegetable oil or butter
2/3 cup white basmati rice
Juice of 1 lime
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro

Instructions

In a heavy 2-quart saucepan, heat the oil or butter over low heat. If using butter, stir it occasionally until melted. Add the rice and lime juice and stir for 1 minute. Add the water and salt. Raise the heat and bring to a boil. Cover, turn down the heat to low, and simmer until the rice is tender and the water is absorbed, about 25 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork and stir in the cilantro.

2 Likes

Just noticed my photos are rather large. I’ll trim the file size down on the next ones :grimacing:

Your pics are fine pal :thumbsup:

1 Like

This is the best kimchi recipe I’ve come across. It’ll make your house smell like a dirty fart though. But damn it’s some delicious kimchi!!

PEACH COBBLER!!!

So easy, anyone can make this.

8 ripe peaches
12 tablespoons butter
1 ½ cups sugar
1 cup plus two tablespoons self-rising flour
½ cup milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Peel, pit and slice the peaches.

Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a medium saucepan. Add the sliced peaches and 1/2 cup sugar. Stir in 2 tablespoons of flour and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until soft and syrupy.

In a medium bowl, combine the remaining cup of sugar with the remaining cup of flour. Stir in the milk.

Melt 8 tablespoons of butter in a 9-inch-by-13-inch baking pan. Pour in the batter, reserving about 1/3 cup.

Pour the peach mixture over the top of the batter. Drizzle the reserved batter over peaches, and spread around evenly to cover.

Bake in a preheated oven for about 1 hour, or until top is golden brown. Serve warm. (Top with ice cream, if desired.)

Beans and Rice

Here’s an easy one if you’ve got an Instant Pot and a rice cooker. Extremely budget friendly too, if you have a well stocked pantry. I don’t have a written recipe for this, it’s one of those “cook it how you like it” type meals. You can use sausage and ham like I did, or you can use shredded beef, or shrimp, or whatever really.

Green pepper, onion, and celery. Chop ‘em up!

Sauté with a tablespoon or so of oil, until they become kinda translucent.

Almost forgot the garlic. Use a bunch of minced garlic, several cloves worth at least.

Chop up some ham and some andouille sausage. Add to the pot and continue to sauté.

Continued…

1 Like

Splash some white wine (optional, not pictured). Add red beans, pinto beans, and stock. I used lobster stock by Better Than Bouillon, but you can use beef, chicken, whatever you like.

Add onion powder, cayenne powder, oregano, thyme, black pepper, and celery seed. Pressure cook on high for 15 minutes. Add cooked rice and viola! Food for days.

3 Likes

Almost reminds me of jambalaya. Making me hungry :drooling_face:

1 Like

mmmm jambalaya and crawfish etouffee

2 Likes