OK I know we have a "What are You Listening To"!

Was a concert attended by a friend and he told me about it. I missed going becaue I had to work. He is no longer with us

1 Like

I feel exactly the same way. I didn’t really appreciate good music until I hit my mid 20’s.

It still happens now…I recently started really feeling AMY WINEHOUSE! Bro! Especially her live performances.

Growing up I listened to nirvana, Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, kiss, queen, sublime…all the classics. I wish I had got the opportunity to watch them live.

One of my favorite live songs and songs in general is “COME AS YOU ARE”

1 Like

Let me see if there is a video of what I want to share. I have a bunch but, Led Zeppelin stood out above all the rest, considering all of the social conflicts, and drug scene, and my age.

It was just that era. I was a Jackson Brown fan, Jazz, Blues, everybody back then, regardless of their genre. I saw most of the good ones.

Led Zeppelin was sort of the pinnacle of when music began to shift. I’ll never forget that show, especially the loss of hearing and the speakers from floor to ceiling in a large coliseum.

This an article by another Zep fan. I can’t find any bootleg from the '73 show but this article gives a pretty accurate account of that show. Everybody was tripping and it was a crazy time. It was the end of my childhood and I moved on in life after that.

4 Likes

OMG I Love and appreciate the CURE. I want you to hlpe us appreciate the the CURE “like I do”.
We have been knocken our 90’s Gen ROCKEN skulls SO HARD we rocked it out of your CLASSIC
tunes out our bones That we can’t spl.
It was most definitely a joke. We would not be here without you. Enjoy

@Calyxander really man it was just a thought in my mind being high… I have respect for you. If this offended you I will talk to Joe about taking it down.
#respect for your elders. LOVE YOU OVERGROW
I’m pretty sure those don’t work that way.
Cute points?

1 Like

My eldest son was born in 84 I was 16 years old lol,I was punk/skinhead good times ,

1 Like

OK, here goes:

I’m not much of a Dead Head, but I dated a hardcore hippie chick for a while and ended up at more than a few shows.
But this one - May of '87 - The story is longer than the race track, but that Laguna Seca show was one of the most insane weekends I’ve ever had.
I started the day with mushrooms & weed, found 5 hits of blotter at the phones by the police, and snuck into the show by jumping the fence with about 50 other people - we figured they can’t catch all of us! As everything began to overwhelm me, I found my way to the center of the crowd - between the stage and the loudspeaker towers. The sky turned into a rotating prismascope while the Dead went into Space.
Hippie chick ran off with some other hippie dude, and I hitchhiked to a friend’s place outside of LA.

Why would I want to return to that? For some reason - I was bulletproof and ridiculously happy the whole weekend.

8 Likes

I have no dog in this fight between @LilJonB & @anon98660487, but I do have an observation. When I read Irishrocker’s post, I didn’t picture a racist skinhead, I pictured a punk rocker who shaved his head. The other common English or Irish vision of punk rockers from the era Irishrocker described was the infamous huge hair spiked punks. Same mindset, different hair - both working class punk rockers. It wasn’t until later that skinheads appeared to hijack the term and take it down the dark path it’s gone down.

@LilJonB, when I saw your responses, I had to go back to read what others had written before I figured out who/what you were so upset by. I think if you simply Googled Punk Rock Skinhead, you might have learned something before you got so upset. Information is power.

Since it’s the middle of the night, I’m sure @LemonadeJoe is getting his beauty rest. Perhaps one of the @moderators can clean up this thread from post 26 down (but leave @Johnny_Utah post).

5 Likes

I’ve cleaned up the recent discourse.

4 Likes

Pink Floyd, 1975 Hamilton On. Canada. WHY? Pink Floyd, says it all!
:sunglasses: :love_you_gesture:
Edit: read it wrong. I was at this concert. lol

5 Likes

Great pick, my 2nd pick would have been one of many of different Dead shows as well… Hard to not include them in things we will never see again…

2 Likes

I am not that easily offended…hahaha.
This thread is interesting, and I see that it even produced a little squabble subsequently cleaned up by @Northern_Loki .

For those that haven’t seen this thread, it is similar to this one.

1 Like

August 1st 1971 Madison Square Gardens
50 years ago!
An amazing collection of musicians assembled for the very first benefit concert led by the visionary genius of George Harrison and Ravi Shankar.

“Friends, … we are not trying to make any politic, we are artists.”

3 Likes

Had the live album. Must have been great to be there in person!

1 Like

I’ll add this to the list of great bands.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr9CN8VeKb4

And one for Amy Winehouse an extraordinarily talented singer/songwriter.

4 Likes

I think I would probably go to some of Jimi Hendrix shows

The way he played was out of this world
The music, the vibe, everything amazing. I would like to have had the experience of being very high in his concert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcDSihFa0iE

3 Likes

Ian Brown ( monkey man) Clastonbury 2005.

I was there, incredible live band…totally blew me away.

2 Likes

I always wanted to see him. It would have to be Pink Floyd. The Cars and David Bowie.

1 Like

I saw nine inch nails and David Bowie in 1995. Sick show shitty venue.

I saw tool in a small venue around the same time.

I saw cradle of filth which is not my scene but was a hell of a show. Same with Buckwheat Zydeco.

If I could choose one I didn’t see it would have been Nirvana’s final tour because I was a grunge rocker in high school.

3 Likes