OK I know we have a "What are You Listening To"!

When you have Eric Clapton stopping interviews to talk about how good you are you know you’re the man. Hendrix >>>>

3 Likes

SRV!!! If I have to explain, you wouldn’t understand!

Jimi as well. They both have that guitar madness sound that I love!

Any one here ever seen either live? Color me jealous!!!

4 Likes

Jimi is the greatest guitar player ever and no one will convince me otherwise.

3 Likes

Now who the hell would try and do that?!

Agree

1 Like

I go with Slick on that one. One of the best. No telling where he would be today.

1 Like

Actually I don’t think he’d remotely resemble what we know him for. Before he died he was getting really into “world music” and was talking about doing music with like an orchestra of instruments from around the world. He was also supposed to be doing a project with Steve Winwood which could have been great, but probably pretty different than his other stuff.

3 Likes

All industrial for me:

Skinny Puppy:

Ministry (raw as fuck edition):

1 Like

10 years anniversary of Amy’s death tomorrow ,ye we lost a very talented singer…really loved her music.

2 Likes

I saw Eric Clapton and Santana at the same show. In the end, they both came out and jammed together.

I had the opportunity to see Hendrix in Tuscaloosa, (univ of Alabama) but didn’t get to go. Maybe '70-'71?? It would be easy to find out. I think he was at the Theater venue on campus.

I got to see Frank Zappa and his band at that same theater. That was one of my other favorite shows.

Jethro Tull, Alice Cooper, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Jo Jo Gun, Mountain, Humble Pie, Uriah Heep, Alvin Lee, Fleetwood Mac early and later, Jackson Brown, Original Allman Brothers with Duane, original Skynard (as a guest), Neil Young, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Deep Purple, Yes, Eagles, B King, … man, I could type all night. Concerts were the shit back then. One of my first was John Kay and Steppenwolf on the 8th row, so many stories, There are more that I saw than I didn’t. I missed the Who when we got busted for pot on the way there, and sat in jail most of the night. … man, I wish one of my old buddies was still alive and here to jog my memory. He saw most with me. He was the photographic memory on the music, albums, and shows. $5 and $6 for shows then. Drugs were mandatory and were everywhere in all shapes and kinds. Too bad we all didn’t carry cameras then.

6 Likes

That’s quite a list. I saw some of those my self. In the 70s I could get tickets for the big name bands for 7 or 8 bucks and you could smoke in the indoor venues. It would get pretty cloudy with smoke.
:sunglasses: :metal:

2 Likes

The OP wants us to go back in time in order to see a concert that we did not see in real life
It took me a little while to decide upon a concert that I would’ve liked to attend.
1956 at Newport, I was only 5 years old so I would not have appreciated it in the least back then.

But if I had a way back machine with one choice…
Duke Ellington at Newport in 1956.

5 Likes

Awesome, I want to listen to that. I’m a blues lover. I listen most every Sunday to my favorite Blues show on 92zew.net from Mobile, Alabama. It’s on at 1-5pm CST.

92 Zew is a privately owned radio station for 35 years and they only use local advertising which isn’t much and very low key with no stupid screaming animals and shit. They get to play what they want, not what Corporate tells them.

Some Sundays are better but in general it’s a great blues show. They concentrate a lot on local and regional music of the deep south, too, which I like. peace

3 Likes

Wow that takes me back. I haven’t been there in 25 years. What I remember most was the southern hospitality.

2 Likes

It’s a great Music town. It always was. They’re big on new music and promote it hard. They also put on the Hang Out Festival on the beach at Gulf Shores every year, and a lot of new bands got famous after showing there. It’s just a real cool bunch of music loving DJ’s on the station and I love hearing all of the local advertising for seafood and local music venues. Lots of good memories from back there.

2 Likes

I live in Toronto and big city radio is mostly pop trash. The one exception is the university radio station. One hour it’s Punjabi hip hop, the next hour it’s bebop, and then it’s talk radio democracy now. You never know what you’ll get and it’s always interesting. Trance, 80s, electro - awesome.

1 Like

Some college stations are great. Like you say, much better than the normal commercial stuff. I went to Montana State Univ and they had a great radio station back then. Very eclectic. That’s where I first learned about Afropop. I used to love listening to that up in Montana, lol.

That’s the one thing I really like about the internet is getting stations from anywhere you want.

2 Likes

I saw Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra many years ago.

I guess a Fela Kuti show would be on my list of must see concerts I didn’t see.

3 Likes

I have some. I’m sure if I posted some old pictures of me you would say you l know you. I have been to some shows. I had seen WSP so many times. When the first started out. Copenhagen tobacco was a sponsor. You are older than myself. Not a bad thing. My time was from 90 to 2010 or so was the last WSP. I seen Bruce Hampton a few shows before he passed. I knew all those guys. The small Jam Band Seen. Code Talkers where a good fit for him. Not sure what happened to Bobby. He was the singer of the Code Talkers.

If I’m not mistaken that and the one in Vail where the best deadhead radio stations at the time.

I did the same! lol

Concerts that I WISH I could have made it to?
Yes, it would mean crashing a funeral, but to hear this work: