Organic first grow

How to prepare organic soil for pot indoor grow ?

3 Likes

Hey man, Iā€™m sure there are a million suggestions coming your way but Iā€™d say to look into coots mix. Or No-till. Theyā€™ve given me the best smoke out of multiple different soil mixes Iā€™ve triedā€¦ potent terpy and without the chemical aftertaste some nutes leave behind.

I used to also use Subcool Super Soil when I was a bit newer to organics.

Now Iā€™m kinda using concepts from both. No-till and recycled organic living soil are both excellent.

And if your plants get hungry later on in mid flower, Iā€™d say read up on top dressing and look into aerated compost teas and similar stuff.

A lot of my extras come from Build a Soil, but I try to use local inputs as much as possible to lower cost of shipping heavy items, etc.

Again, there are so many different takes even on what I mentioned so far, so Iā€™d read up on here and other forums too. Rollitup has bit of a reputation for some drama and stuff, but Iā€™ve found really good information in the Recycled Organic Living Soil thread and a few other threads in the organic section. You donā€™t have to join over there to read stuff but to post youā€™d need to sign up. Iā€™m sure IC mag and others also have great info too.

I hope that gives you a few ideas to look into more both on here, other forums and Google in general.

Have a great day and best of luck growing!

5 Likes

Iā€™m not a fan of the Neem that most put in their mixes and some of those recipes get a lil complicated. Hereā€™s my simplified soil building mix that has given me lots of success and still running strong reusing it over and over

2 Likes

The most important thing about soil is you need time (3~4 weeks) to let it rest before using.
If you just mix it up and use it immediately you will have all manner of weird and interesting issues ā€˜crop upā€™ā€¦

Second thing is, get a worm farm (simple to make if you are handy). Fresh earthworm castings (EWC) are magicā€¦ and they have a number of beneficial soil organisms in there as well.

There are lots of books on the subject.

Cheers
G

7 Likes

Ideally get certified organic potting soil.
Add a good handful of kitchenscraps and a handful of tree leaves per bucket of soil.
Cover up and let rest for a month and fluff it up every day, or every few days to get air into it.
Keep the moisture so that when you grab a handful and make a fist you get one drop of water, thatā€™s perfect.

I use this method and it has been working great for almost two years now;

Iā€™m using small plastic pots on top of fabric pots, they suck up the water much better than plastic pots and they donā€™t have holes in the bottom where fungus gnats like to lay eggs.

Check my grow journal ā€œRogutopiaā€¦ā€ if you wanna see more.

Good to have you here, thank you for growing!

2 Likes