Original breeders?

Where does one go to get info on who started a strain and then perhaps who sold the beans. Trying to back track to find some connection. Some strains that stick out are…
Black triangle kush
Face wreck
Arcata trainwreck
Buddha’s sister
Master kush
Walker kush
Black water og
Golden lemon
Leeroy
Bruce banner
Gsc
Modified punch
Jack Frost
Ghost train haze
Flo
Hurricane
Triple og

There’s a ton more, any info is greatly appreciated!

14 Likes

You can find older breeders and what they grew in old seed catalogs. Here is a link to a bunch of good info. :v:

19 Likes

Some of those are for ever unknown others are pretty well documented.
Bruce banner is relatively new and comes from dark horse genetics.
Ghost train haze should be easy to track down the history on also.
Flo is a product of dj shorts work on the blueberry lines.
The older the strain is the more muddled up the history is,it wasn’t that long ago that weed was completely illegal and not to many people were keen on documenting there work.

19 Likes

That’s why I did document every step of Gorilla Bubble.
Still a few knock off versions out but they cant touch a 6 year or whatever it is thread ha.

30 Likes

That’s what I was looking for was the Dj short, rare dankness, dark horse. There is a common denominator that I’m noticing with Oregon and Colorado, SOCAL, and Florida. I know some Bean harvesters and for the most part it’s a bunch thats hard to get at and quick to disappear. I have a feeling some folks here might be able to chime in that know of a “big name” buying their gear up to call there own.

I wonder if Nevil left a complete journal…:thinking:

2 Likes

Black Triangle is by Bodhi Seeds (still available to purchase)

Triple Og is by Exotic Genetics and I believe is discontinued

Modified Punch is by Skunkmasterflex (Skunkhousegenetics)
I believe this one is discontinued too

4 Likes

seedfinder dot eu is a decent resource for tracking genetics.
I think u will find answers for most of your questions there.
seedfinder traces lineages, but are only as honest as the people putting the info up.
good luck.

5 Likes

That’s the treasure trove to link some things together. Thanks!!!

1 Like

The internet is where I look now, but when I lived in Colorado I would ask people at work, man I miss CO. The face wreck, GTH, and leeroy are from rare dankness. The black water is from Cali connect, and some of the others were already mentioned above. The leeroy is fire btw…

4 Likes

So who owns rare dankness is my question now lol.

Seedfinder has a great way of organizing and showing genetics but they are really bad about listing genetics accurately.
They have two or three strains I submitted listed incorrectly.
They were given all the details when I submitted them and I have notified them twice sense then and it has not been corrected.
I see strains on there where the description clearly doesn’t match what is shown.
I can’t edit my own entries and can’t seem to get anybody there to.
I wouldn’t trust what they show unfortunately.

10 Likes

Scott reach is the owner of rare dankness.

3 Likes

true dat!
thats why I mention the info is only as accurate as the person inputting the info.
A search engine works to track down sources of gear, sometimes lol

3 Likes

being from sf, this is the most plausible explanation I ever heard for the lineage of girl scout cookies.

The strain started as accidental herm pollinations from hid light burn in a large scale bay area commercial grow. Each time a plant hermed, they would grow out the seeds from the adjacent plants for a cheap crop of guaranteed females.
They started with a bay area cherry pie clone seeded with herm pollen from their cut of durban poison. this generation was called durban pie.
from that seed stock, they selected a unique durban pie mutant which was briefly circulated as a clone.
that cut was then pollinated by an og female. (The forum cut was a bagseed grown from this generation of seeds.)
Then this generation of seeds was hit by pollen from the same og cut as the previous generation, like a back crossed s1.
That stock produced the classic thin mint girl scout cookies cut.

it’s unclear whether berner was actually involved in the grows up to this point, or if he was just the connect, but he coined the name girl scout cookies.

Girl scout cookies became popular in the local cannabis scene.
Berner supplied a beloved bay area rapper named Jacka, who put berner on several albums called drought season 1 and 2. this gave berner a platform to promote cookies.
word of mouth about cookies makes it to other states.

The cookies fam company sprung up later as berner’s marketing and sales outlet for merch and legalized marijuana.

10 Likes

Kinda jives w what you said…

8 Likes

definitely matches up, cool to hear that from another source. I originally heard this from an old school Fillmore grower who I trust.

4 Likes

Ok so I was wondering this in conjunction with some common things going on in the legal industry that worry me. Here is a company https://calyxpeak.com/
That owns josh d’s company with substantial reach in legal states. Now we all know he is not the only one sponsored now, but the reason I raise this concern. My state and some others as of recent, state you must buy seeds in state in order to cultivate. Which doesn’t mean much now. But come fed legalization it will, why? Because you can trademark them, and with a big backer, it is easy to legitimize the back story and proof. That’s truely why I’m hunting down the originals, to preserve somewhere in my head before the deluge comes. My guess is that a lot of these originals will be coined by others for profit on a legal large scale. Shane really. But I’m wondering what safe guards can be had now a days :frowning: and what does trademark mean in conjunction with a genome project, who owns the originals get to take the gear, be it off spring or what not, due to legal reasons, thus we lose the true people behind this. Not trying to say anyone in particular will do this either. Just raising the questions.

5 Likes

Well on its way. Once legalization happened this was a guarantee. It’s the same as anything. If you collect and hold it for long enough stored properly 30 years from obtaining it you can take advantage of some 35 - 45 year olds nostalgia :joy::joy:

4 Likes

There has already been a broad utility patent granted that would take large amounts of long existing varieties out of public use if it were enforceable. We need to keep, characterize, and DOCUMENT our existing germplasm to prevent unwarranted patents. Trademarks and backstories are even more nebulous, but I’d say let’s prioritize the germplasm and hope people see through the culture vultures.

This is an interesting discussion about patents: https://www.shapingfire.com/podcast-feed/detailing-the-united-cannabis-amp-biotech-llc-cannabis-patents-and-what-comes-next-with-dale-hunt-phd-jd

Strain origins can be a black hole. It can be fun to try to figure out, but there is so much bullshit in the Cannabis, industry you can’t trust most sources.

I love how seedfinder lists their family trees. But it has a lot of known incorrect info.

Lee Roy is Rare Dankness, Triangle kush x RD#2

Golden Lemons is DNA genetics, Koser Kush x Lemon Skunk

4 Likes