Osmocote, my favorite plant food - easy peasy, complete

Loaded question - do you have a soil analysis? Grafted on rootstock chosen for your soil profile? My clay loam is void of N, so I hit fruit trees with a high N food, a combo of a turf 15-5-10 with micros and ammonium sulfate just before a rain storm.

The rootstock has been chosen for my high lime soils.

4 Likes

Unfortunately no soil analysis. I s’pose that would be worth doing based on my previous troubles. Do you have any recommendations for where I can get that done? I believe one of the trees I had trouble with was grafted, does that make a difference in what’s needed for nutrients?

Cheers

Ward Labs. Fast and reasonable.

Rootstock is as important as the scion. Again, it’s all about the roots. No matter what you grow, concentrate on growing a big mass of roots. They are The Foundation.

6 Likes

Definitely makes sense. Seems like a very price for a soil test and well worth doing before this season gets going. I appreciate all the info!

careful adding to Ocean Forest…that stuff can be pretty rich…We over-fed our young plants with just watering in it! It’s great for transplanting older plants-- not a lot needed in it…

1 Like

:joy_cat:

I was curious what’s in it & the Internet spake thusly:

https://www.whatsinproducts.com/types/type_detail/1/19728/standard/p>Osmocote%20Smart-Release%20Plant%20Food%20Plus%20Outdoor%20&%20Indoor%20Formula%20(15-9-12)-12/04/2015/p>/19-026-393

Seems OK. :stuck_out_tongue:

:evergreen_tree:

Thanks for the warning. I had planned to basically get the plants going for 3 or 4 weeks indoors in Happy Frog. Then put basically 1/4 bag of Ocean Forest in each hole I was planting them in. I won’t really be around to water them most of the time so that will be up to mother nature to deal with, lol. As I say, I am new to soils and outdoor growing. Strictly been indoors in coco for me. But I want to start branching out. Might put 2 into Ocean Forest and 2 in more Happy Frog with Osmocote and see what does what. It’s all a fun adventure right now.

7 Likes

My local transfer station makes great mulch for $20/yard from the yard waste and kitchen Organics they take in, we might do that this year instead of ordering a truckload from the place we did last year, just based on cost. The other folks do full hot composting of a lot of things: horse and chicken bedding, town organics, wood chips, and more. We filled out new raised beds with four yards of their 60/40 loam/compost mix and raised all the low spots in the yard, mounded over all the exposed roots etc. This year we start mulching down over that besides the few yards of mulch we started with last year.

The veggie beds are a hybrid fabric/hugelkultur, with chicken wire and landscape cloth in an open 2x4 frame and a foot of storm-fallen old treetops filling the bottom with some wood chips and sand and grass clippings filling in, then covered with 18” of soil. It works great with organics but the smaller pots struggle, I think this year any outdoor plant under a few gallons is going to get Osmocote instead which will hopefully be more reliable nutrition for them.

4 Likes

Wow, you have it all together and are lucky to get such great organics. Your plants get a nice slow release of nutrition, good on ya!

3 Likes

Yes on trees the mass of roots go as far as the drip line but roots go far beyond that. When deeprooot feeding trees we almost always hit large roots at the drip line. If you don’t deeproot feed your trees you may want to consider it as i have seen great improvements in trees we have fed in this way. Of course if your soil is rich then no need for these measures.

1 Like

Got out of that grunt tree biz a long time ago. Bout with prostate cancer, 2 lower lumbar surgeries, lack of labor took its toll. At the ripe old age of 73, “I don’t need this shit no more”.

6 Likes

I am out of it also, have been for about 4 years now. My last number of years I just supervised anyway. But I was still climbing in my 50’s and paying the price. Now I’m retired and planning on doing a lot of fishing…….

5 Likes

It’s easy where I am, organic farming and gardening is so common I can get a truckload of anything, I love it

2 Likes

Lucky you!

1 Like

You and I have chatted about this. I have been a gardener for a very long time, and Osmocote has been a game changer for me. I use it for everything, and it hasn’t let me down yet.

It’s sad yet amusing watching new growers spend a fortune on gimmicks and flim-flammery, especially if they have zero knowledge about basic horticulture.

I still use the GH 3 part for seedlings, because it’s easy to adapt and use (I mix up a gallon of half strength, then use it to rehydrate my coir).

3 Likes

Happy gardening dear.

Did the Chimera seeds work out?

1 Like

Sadly, no. They just got moldy.

I’m busier than a one legged man in an asskicking contest, trying to get a ton of various flower seeds going. I am donating a LOT of wildflower plants to a community project, if I can get them to grow. They’re mostly butterfly host and nectar plants that are native to the area. We’re in a very severe drought, so I don’t know how they will survive.

3 Likes

Bummer. Did you expose them to something other than water? Molasses perhaps?

Good luck with your wildflowers. We are in wildflower season now, bluebonnets and such. Took my BMW Z4, top down, for a ride the other day.

7 Likes

Picked up some of the 15-9-12 today, Thanks for the tips @OldUncleBen :v:

6 Likes

AM Leonard is having one of their free shipping at $125 deals, which is, conveniently, what a 50# Ag bag of Osmocote costs:

https://www.amleo.com/search/?q=Osmocote

3 Likes