Osmocote, my favorite plant food - easy peasy, complete

I wonder how Osmocote works indoors… :thinking:

If it’s release is based on soil temps how does that work in a room with good temp control?

I do use it for outdoor plants (non cannabis), and it works well.

5 Likes

Because of the lime ?
Curious…

No “adjustments” are needed, at least not in the typical soil less mix. That was my point.

I know… But he is running coco, not a standard soil mix. I want to hope he succeeds and not shoot him down before he starts… I am here to support and help lift others, not kick them down before they even begin

3 Likes

Yes, Ca is a necessary secondary nutrient, like Mg, for most plant material but since when did landrace, indigenous cannabis originate in limey soils? Whether it’s the tropics of S. India or Columbia, Jalisco, MX, or Afghanistan or the Hindu Kush area, it’s my understanding those soils are composed of ancient volcanic soils which have no lime to speak of. Over million of years if indeed they were covered by the sea, the calcitic leftovers have long been eroded and carried to present day seas.

If you’re more comfortable with bro “science”, then go for it.

UB

Go on…

2 Likes

OK, and I’m not here to enable those who are deemed to set themselves up for failure due to a lack of experience and knowledge of soil chemistry.

BTW, coir and soiless are pretty much inert when it comes to nutritional value. Yeah, you’ll get some value in the breakdown of the coir or peat or pine bark fines, but in the short term of an annual’s time line run, not much.

I’d choose Dyna-Gro’s Foliage Pro if I was doing coir.

UB

Great then leave me be. You don’t know me. You don’t know my experience and what I’ve done. You’ve never spoken to me.

All you have are assumptions and negativity.

6 Likes

Been using it for 40 years, thanks anyway. I buy it in bulk, 50#. LIke I said, I use it on everything.

Years ago I was buying the 8# bags for $12. It’s tripled now in price on Amazon.

Good luck brother.

UB

Maybe your water has calcium in it. Maybe your soil mix does. My water is 30-50ppm out the tap. Coco does not provide calcium. Osmocote does not provide calcium.

I’m sure the way you are using it works for you, but for me, calcium isn’t going to appear out of thin air.

7 Likes

What a joke.

Hey @lefthandseeds if you need some kind of primer or tutorial on water and nutrient chemistry I know just the guy to help you. His name is @lefthandseeds

6 Likes

I see they have added boron, but it contains no calcium :joy: So calcium must need to be amended separately like with most other nutrients formulations…if is is “necessary” and isn’t a component of your water supply :upside_down_face:

Of course Ben, we aren’t here to enable failure, we are here to help others work through difficulties and succeed as well as possible given the limitations of their resources… Plenty of people use coco as a soil replacement, I put my used coco outside and my plants seem to thrive in it better than my native sand-heavy soil. I see no issue with this attempt-- nutrient additives like osmocoat are being used because well-maintained quality organic soil apparently doesn’t seem to have enough nutes to be used without additional chemical fortification.

7 Likes

I’ve been running the Osmocote, I run an RO too, I’m glad you brought this up, I’ve been supplementing with less than half strength CaliMagic, just to have at least a little something in the water.

6 Likes

If I fail, I fail. Shit happens. I’m not hurting for weed. I don’t really need to harvest anything for a year. I just like to experiment and figure things out.

I have every base nutrient at my disposal, and I’m at a point where I can write recipes from scratch and nail it first time. Tomatoes too.

I got here by failure, but I’ve learned a lot along the way.

8 Likes

I use it cause it’s complete nutrition, cost effective and low maintenance. Try maintaining a big greenhouse by hand of tropical fruit trees 10’ - 16’. It’s an age issue too. I’m 73, tried it all and know what works and what doesn’t, and low maintenance is important to me.

I occasionally water with well water which is very high in bicarbs of Mg and Ca. My rainwater collection system is 3,600 gals. Will soon expand one of the 2 tanks. Here’s my pump. It’s an ass kicker. Use it do a last spot rinse of my Bimmers after washing them with high TDS well water. Easy peasy!

90% of the time I used rainwater on my recent cannabis indoor garden.

UB

5 Likes

That is a sweet pump! Yes, I have seen your excellent greenhouse results, you do a beautiful job!

If I didn’t run hydro, I get Jacks for $72 for 25 lbs, I would consider this newer version of Osmocoat (as I had mentioned, I had used the old version long ago :sweat_smile:) for fruits and vegetables in my garden. It’s a bummer the price has skyrocketed, I hear that nute prices are going to be getting a lot worst soon… it might be time to stock up!

2 Likes

HIghly recommend Dyna-Gro for water culture. VERY complete with 16 elements including Ca. Without getting into politics, I think we all know why the little guy (including the mega farmer) is being screwed regarding fertilizer prices.

1 Like

Afghani soils are extremely calcareous. Guy on IG has visited many farms and pH was from 8.5-9.5. Normal in desert/arid regions. Groundwater continuously evaporating and little rain leaves the upper surface very mineral-laden, mostly Ca.

You’re right about the rainy tropics, much less due to leaching. Mostly iron, aluminum and clay. Laterites n such.

8 Likes