Other straight razor shavers?

A while I ago I got tired of buying these cartridges for my cartridge razor, some Gillette brand.

A pack of 5 blades were like 25 USD or 20 EUR.

A straight razor is about 100 USD or 80 EUR (for a good carbon steel 5/8") so I thought in four bladepacks I would have already paid the amount it would cost to get such a blade…

And that blade would last me a lifetime.

I like shaving with it more, oh the danger, especially when shaving the neck :smiley:

The shave quality is also better. I usually just go with the grain first, then against the grain, instead of the “babybutt” WTG, XTG and then ATG full three pass shave, because I am lazy and my hair is not so super thick.

3 Likes

HAHAHAHHAHA

What the heck are you talking about man!?

https://sharpologist.com/shaving-forums, maybe this is a better place to talk about this subject.

Don’t you know we are all bunch of hippies with long beards and all… HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Come on! @sneaky

EDIT, i can’t remember the last time i shaved u know!

10 Likes

HAHAHAHAH

Well enough said Mad Man.

3 Likes

I don’t have the balls to make this switch as logical as it may be.

3 Likes

I use a safety razor. Disposable blades cost me 15-30 dollars for a 100 pack and they are sharp as hell. In my mind that is easier than having to constantly sharpen an expensive blade. That’s already a pain in the ass with my kitchen knives.

Not too long ago I was using the Gilette things but got tired of paying ridiculous prices for refills that didn’t even last long anyways. When I switched over it was like night and day. I use a cheap blade max 10 times then throw it away. Always sharp and don’t have to be annoyed with my face being ripped apart because I’m too cheap to throw it out so soon.

4 Likes

I’m right there with you @MadScientist

2 Likes

Yeah, a safety razor is a good compromise, I guess.

I bought four different diamond pastes and strops to go with my blade, and a chromium oxide paste (and a strop for that) plus I bought a strop that I will finish the edge with that I haven’t put anything on. I only run it through the whole regimen every 3-4 shaves though, takes 15 minutes.

I bought the blade from a reputable company that hones the blades they sell, now I can use this blade for a good few years before I will get it sharpened by a honemeister, that will be only like 25 USD or 20 EUR.

LOL!

I work in a hotel reception so I have to look like a human being, you know :stuck_out_tongue:

Its okay to go full caveman style though if your work permits it! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

i ordered a straight razor online, it was under $10 including shipping. its honed nicely just needed a strop when it arrives. i use the back of my leather belt as a strop. can also use corrugated cardboard as a strop. edit: non-corrugated works better, like the inside of a cereal box or back of a notepad

5 Likes

Looks very nice!

I could have got a cheaper blade, but I am a “all in” kind of guy :smile:

Is that 5/8 or 6/8? Looks like a 5/8?

i’m not sure is that like a type of steel? i ordered it online from china, it’s been 4 months and hasn’t arrived yet so i opened support ticket

It’s the size of the blade.

The best type of steel for straight razors is the carbon steel. Always wipe such steel after use, moisture leads to fast rusting of carbon steel.

what is the strop used for. I have always wondered.

It’s used to maintain a good edge.

Basically a leather belt will do for a strop, if you don’t want to invest in one.

1 Like

Anybody have a suggestion for an electric razor they like? I can’t seem to find one that isn’t a cheap POS

i had a phillips electric wet/dry i inherited from my grandfather but it must have been 20-30 years old 20 years ago. super well made and dependable. they’re probably cheap janky plastic made to break now though. i always dry shave and it worked well for that.

1 Like

This is what the hubby had when we married 20 years ago. I just replaced it after pricing blades. The new one is nice and seems just as sturdy. Time will tell.

Switched to straight razors from mach3’s over a decade ago, had a few vintage razors, sold them all, except one.

But nowadays i use DE safety razors, have a couple but i use a shorthandled edwin jagger de86 as my daily with astra blades which are $15-20 for a 100

1 Like

The best blades for a grower, amazing for taking cuttings, i wont shave with them though :thumbsdown:

The medicine cabinet I just threw out still had the slot to throw the used ones in the wall.

1 Like