Outdoor IPM...?

What do you guys do for pest control before you see pest…?

3 Likes

In my case cultivate indoors frech|nullxnull, suffered them :sweat:, here you can find useful info … beer3|nullxnull

5 Likes

Things I’m trying this year is a product called Neem Gold…Putting a full cup in each 150gallon grow bag when mixing the soil plus top dressing with a cup every few weeks,…it has a perfect veg NPK too.

…I’ve also planted about a dozen marigolds per every plant (not in same pot)

Thinking about bringing in some shredded cedar.

2 Likes

I grow in the deep woods so I do the best IPM there is for my situation and grow pest resistant strains and tough as nails strains that can take a beating and weather it out untill the predator insects show up. I do use lots of hot pepper flakes around transplants now. The coyotes used to dig up plants because they smelled my organic nutes. They definitely do not like spicy food and leave them alone now. Hopefuly regs are in place by next season and I can keep them closer to home and push the limits strain wise.

3 Likes

What about deer? I want to grow in the woods around me, but I’m afraid the deer will never leave them alone.

And welcome back @Juice Hope you hang around a bit.

2 Likes

This might sound weird but in spring when putting plants out piss all around your grow area. Not on the plants but trees and bushes nearby. Dog hair and human hair also help when strewn about. This makes them skitish, and avoid eating most plants. I have not lost a plant to deer for a few seasons now. After cannablis plants are established deer much prefer the native vegitation on my experiance. This might not work so well on suburban deer that have little hunting pressure snd are used to human and pet smells.

2 Likes

I’m at the very edge of the last suburbs of Detroit, like it turns into woods, fields and occasional homes behind my house. If you go about a mile through the woods there is a shooting range aimed towards me lol.

They actually just tore down about 20% of the woods down the road and are building an industrial park. That has pushed all the deer and coyote that were there into the woods closer to me. I heard the coyotes so loud last spring during mating season. I could hear them yipping and howling in my bedroom with windows closed.

I see 3 white tail regularly out there, along with turkeys, rabbits, and just an assortment of critters to keep away. I have heard human hair before, like just ask a barber shop for it for your garden. And I’ve heard blood meal too. I might try your suggestion, it can’t hurt, right? It makes sense to me since you need to cover your smell from deer when hunting.

4 Likes

$39 a gallon eBay… :v:t2::sunglasses::v:t2:

3 Likes

I had no idea that even existed. Gross!!! But obviously useful

2 Likes

Deer can’t tell the difference between humin urine and animal urine. But the hair thing works so does bars of soap

2 Likes

I’ve tried all that on deer and had the best luck with liquid fence. It kept them away much longer than other solutions.

Stringing some fishing one across their trail can also scare the heck out of them.

As far outdoor ipm, I spray with jwa once a week as a preventative and bt when the buds get pom pom size to prevent caterpillars.

1 Like

JWA…?

3 Likes
4 Likes

For deer I’d probably try peeing or making a hot pepper spray to be sprayed on the plants, along with some mint, cinnamon and other possibly offensive smells. I plant marigolds with my outdoor plants, utilize homemade sprays and then release beneficial insects(rove beetles, nematodes, ladybugs and or praying mantises) I regularly check my plants and need to get on top of making some more OHN as part of my regimen

2 Likes