What's your favorite organic and all natural pest management tricks?

Figured this would be a great post since we’re all starting our summer grows as a go to for some better pest management options without chemical pesticides and ideas of some household stuff we can use. Here’s some of my management ideas that have worked great in my trials

The one thing I’ve found most beneficial in MY garden is cayenne pepper, had a lot of issues with ants in my grows of weed and veggies with em knocking down the youngins. Saved many seedlings putting " a ring of fire" around the base of the babies

As for the ant hills they got filled with boiling water and eradicated

Diamatacious earth I’ve found to be excellent for tackling an overwatering fungus gnat issue dusting the top of the soil and leaving soil to dry for a few days, not the most ideal environment for them to lay eggs with the microscopic shards and now that I’m dialed in I don’t ever have to deal with this issue anymore

Planting Marigolds close to the grow. Rabbits and most small critters can’t stand the smell of em and the roots produce a toxin called alpha-terthienyl which doesn’t allow for root knot nematodes to hatch eggs

Growing garlic around the grow, most critters can’t stand the smell either

Growing Mint and peppermint in the area will keep rats and mice away

In between my grows I use Dr earth final stop that attaches to a hose, ingredients are just smelly essential oils most bugs can’t stand and my entire quarter acre and greenhouse gets soaked down with it. Done well for me keeping bug populations on my property low to non existent and especially out of my greenhouse

I’d love to hear others methods or “out of the ordinary” thoughts for a solution and how u guys may have organically got a hold on some pest problems

15 Likes

I use BTK, it kills/scares lots of insects. It’s also non-toxic.

3 Likes

Nuff Sedd

3 Likes

Can’t see what’s in that one
I’m shooting for natural stuff around the house or beneficial plants to grow side by side with this post, there’s a lot of other stuff like Dr zymes, super insecticidal soap(spinosad), Bacillus thurgenesins and a few others that comes in a bottle to apply directly to the plants but I’m suggesting going one step further of ways to prevent in the first place if possible

4 Likes

End all is made with pyrethins. It’s an extract from chrysanthemum roots or something like that.

3 Likes

Yes, all natural/organic…

2 Likes

Cayenne pepper = natural

Bottle insecticide = made in a factory (granted it’s omri listed, it’s not growable or typically found around the house in the fridge or spice rack)

Trying to suggest ways to get the bugs to not show up in the first place or something in the grow space to deter them. As far as I’m concerned pulling out a bottle like that is gonna be for after an infestation has appeared, trying to get ideas of other things to grow to deter or be able to place out there that is gonna stop em from showing up in the first place.

4 Likes

I also use it as a prevention bromigo

1 Like

Do u spray the plants? Soil? Grow room?

That shit would get expensive using as preventative on all the plants in a 12’ x 16’ greenhouse if ur spraying the plants down

1 Like

Plants, when I see pest in plants next to my pot plant outside…

1 Like

Never used pesticides. I have pest resistant genetics.

2 Likes

Does cleanliness count as organic? :blush:

Indoors anyway.

Outdoors there is sometimes the need to accept certain losses. All kinds of tricks but sometimes shit happens.

The old guerilla rule is plant four. One for the bugs, one for the cops, one for the rippers, and one for me. :+1:

6 Likes

Sure does count! Clean grow areas are a must!!

Yup, don’t expect anything to be full proof, just rather keep us all one step ahead of the pests before they get a step ahead the grow

LMAO! That’s a great mentality on that one!!

1 Like

I call bullshit on that…bromigo

4 Likes

So ur seeds grown anywhere around the world aren’t gonna attract a single thing? I find that hard to believe! Pests don’t always go after the plants, sometimes the soil too, so unless u developed a pest resistant soil too I’m calling BUNK

1 Like

If I were to throw a bucket of spider mites at your plants I think you would be in trouble.

5 Likes

I think it’s a sales gimmick so he can peddle his seeds bromigos …

3 Likes

Haha don’t see anyone peddling seeds in this site for profit, were a community around here and share :slight_smile:

I disagree…I see a few usually during hoildays or special days…

Well ya… but I don’t really count the fundraisers and server funds though, alot of those purchases aren’t usually “cuz we need to buy seeds” but rather donating/supporting a good cause

1 Like