Pc fan carbon filters

Looking for 2018:2019 modern day 120mm pc fan filter ideas. I have a noctura high static pressure fan, which should work perfect for my 1sqfoot grow tent. Looking for a simple way to put carbon either in front/rear of fan.

Search for diy carbon filters. Pretty sure there is a thread on OG about one made from supplies bought at Walmart. Pretty sure was 2 pencil holders, a pair of pantyhose and active charcoal from pet department

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve seen that method over the years. Just want sure if there was an easier way to make one, since I already have activated carbon pellets for my fish tank gear lol!

You are talking about a square 120mm fan… the problem is air flow…
Carbon filter only works if ALL the air flows through it before or after
the fan isn’t all that important but suck you don’t have to worry about
leaks in vent tube…

Mine still sits unmounted… found a blower motor with circular outport
that mates with a 1 inch bilge hose to DIY pencil cup carbon filter.
Design with 2 cups doesn’t give enough carbon depth, used a infusion
basket from a drink jug that fit tight to the hose, to give at least an inch
of carbon sandwiched in between.

EDIT: added the picture (or it didn’t happen)

1 Like

I made a canny filter with the pencil cups

It works great, you might be able to change it so it works with a pc fan.

I’ll tag you in the post

I made a carbon filter years ago with a square plastic biscuit tin box.

Drilled holes all in the bottom. Used a layer of cooker filter hood material. Filled the tub with activated carbon. Cut a whole the size I needed in the lid then glued fucker on.

Done. Cheap as chips.

UK reference :uk::uk::uk:

3 Likes

Yeah the only issue will be with airflow, you lose about 20% cfm if I recall correctly, with the reduced airflow from the filter, and that’s with a manufactured filter for grow tents… not sure how much DIY ones will restrict airflow. So your fan will be pushing harder to push air through, possibly shortening it’s motor life.

Carbon filters for PC fans, do you mean as in small in size or for small capacity in CFM?

This was (is) my first carbon filter can 705 (13 CFM) with a Noctua A6

Later I upgraded to a Can lite 1500 with a Noctua A8 (30CFM)

2 Likes

Yeah for sure. It’s a nice 120mm noctura fan though, super high quality. Highest rated static pressure fan I could find. I’m using a 11”x11”x 20” grow space , ha

Depends on fan orientation, if vertical easiest is just some hvac joist tin bent into a square and a chunk of mesh with some cheesecloth put in it to hold the carbon.

2 Likes