Carbon filter replacements?

Well I am setting up my tent one last send off before I upgrade !

The sleeve “filter” for the inline

was pretty dirty so I decided to toss it …

Do I really need the carbon filter on not worried about smell can I just run 2 inch piping on one end instead just leave it bare …Or any suggestions to a dyi filer replacement lol

6 Likes

Need is a strong word.

If you’re growing low smelling strains or don’t care about a little smell then go for it.

I don’t usually attach mine until halfway through flower :+1:

7 Likes

Nah bro, I’ve grown without it for years.

You don’t want to do that. Your fan will get dirty quick.

You need to Macgyver this. Get some furnace filter and cut it to size, should be fine.

4 Likes

I give my covers a quick rinse outside or in the tub then throw them in the laundry. the covers last a long time this way.

I bet Amazon or online grow stores sell covers somewhere, or fashion a new on like @Oldtimerunderground said.

5 Likes

I do the same

3 Likes

Awesome thanks to everyone who replied that’s why I really do love this community !!

Damn maybe women’s panty hose double layer :crazy_face:

Okay so I Fred up the Inline fan with do duct yet out of the tent

Noticed a strong weird smell coming from the out end maybe because I haven’t used it in a month or two ??

1 Like

Depends on how comfortable you are with your space smelling like dank. You get more nose-blind to it than you think. If you live in a place where you really aren’t worried about cops or neighbors breaking in…save your cash.

I’m in a legal state…but I don’t want my sketch-ass scumbag neighbors knowing I grow and thinking they can hit an easy lick, either. Litterboxes in the basement too with my plants and helps with the overall musty basement smell.

In a general sense…it’s usually worth it. Cheap ones seem to work just as good as brand name.

7 Likes

Yeah I hear that I’m out in the middle of nowhere but maybe it would be good especially when company is over !

I think I’m going with the women’s panty hose for a new filter lol

3 Likes

Incase you need to replace the charcoal

1 Like

That’s what I do and they work well.

3 Likes

So true. The super-rare time someone comes by and is like “Yo, it smells like mad weed up in this bitch?” And I’m like “Fo real?? I ain’t smell shit, whatchu talkin bout?!” Lmaooo. Doesn’t help that I smoke a half o plus pack of smokes a day…I’m surprised I even have any smell buds left, lol.

For sure. Especially for pollen, with a MERV13 filter.

5 Likes

I have 3 carbon filters going, and it does a good job. I can only barely detect it when walking in the basement after leaving the house for a few hours…and usually only if skunkier stuff in later flower. I replace carbon filters every 2 years or so. Due for a replacement on the flower tent one soon…next harvest I’ll get around to it.

If no filters…you can smell veg plants in a basement.

I had 2 cats (1 currently) and it REALLY helps litterbox smell (even if you clean it constantly it’s got a smell and I’m fanatically clean).

Kinda thinking about getting an ozone generator again soon and running it 15 minutes a few times a day. Shit works soooo well. Zero smell is ideal for my purposes.

4 Likes

I like having a carbon filter, it really helps clean the air in the bedroom :grin:. I’m in a legal state, but I don’t want to have my room smelling like dank all the time. It’s noticeable when I’m harvesting but other than that, since I started growing I don’t even notice the smell of the guinea pigs I have.

4 Likes

I live in an apartment and my filters get connected when Mrs Foreigner walks in and says it reeks of weed. She would know.

I also change them yearly.

Can’t smell anything :+1:

3 Likes

Idk about all that but deff learned something new I didn’t even know the charcoal went bad could deff be it …I’m deff going to check if it has screws top and bottom lol

1 Like

when i lost the filter cover on mine i just made some out of panty hose layer a few times lol

1 Like

Before you could go buy these filters at amazon / your local grow shop, I was making them from duct pieces, construction cloth, raw carbon and yes, women’s pantyhose. It did work (especially to keep the carbon inside the construction cloth) but compared to my current filter socks, pantyhose didn’t provide nearly as much protection for your fan from the dust… I’d suggest getting a beat up filter (rectangular furnace one)at a big box store (ask for a discount since its mangled), cutting it out of the “frame” and wrapping your charcoal filter with that…

3 Likes

I’m the same
Only time I turn it on when things start to get smelly

2 Likes

So do you just run the tent with the flaps open ?

Yeah open all the tent flaps have a fan running,I live in the top floor so I don’t have one above me to worry about smell,think my new neighbor below me is growing I’ve seen purple lights lol

2 Likes