Permaculture, one of the main solutions to extreme climate change

This knowledge has existed since 1988 in the form of Permaculture: A Designers’ Manual, a book by Bill Mollison.

Want your outdoor cannabis garden to be more resilient against pests, draughts, and floods?

Read the book and look up Geoff Lawton who now also teaches permaculture, he is proving that it works, even in a desert, he was a student of Mollison.

The beauty of it is that everyone with a garden, both indoor and outdoor can apply the methods in the book. It is grass roots activism at its finest.

13 Likes
6 Likes

Interesting stuff for sure.

4 Likes

Thanks for putting me on this, I’m going to start reading it tonight! I found a free e-book of this if anyone can’t afford the 200 dolores they’re changing on Amazon.

3 Likes

I like this Geoff Lawton graphic a lot:

@Mr.Christmas Check out this free book from the guy who runs Oregon State University’s Permaculture program:

(It’s a big download! 90mb EPUB)

https://open.oregonstate.education/permaculture/

4 Likes

This graphic from David Holmgrens future scenarios work is really thought inspiring too, it’s in that book. I like how it positions permaculture solutions realistically as the range between techno-stability and collapse, I think that’s really accurate and key to understanding the relationship between people and technology and the planet:

1 Like

I think one of the big frontiers is going to be addressing the persistent, long-term contaminants we’ve put into the world, like micro and macroplastics, pharmaceuticals, and heavy metals. My biggest hope is for mycoremediation as a promising approach to removing those from the water and soil:

“Abstract
The ever-increasing population, rapid rate of urbanization, and industrialization are exacerbating the pollution-related problems. Soil and water pollution affect human health and the ecosystem. Thus, it is crucial to develop strategies to combat this ever-growing problem. Mycoremediation, employing fungi or its derivatives for remediation of environmental pollutants, is a comparatively cost-effective, eco-friendly, and effective method. It has advantages over other conventional and bioremediation methods. In this review, we have elucidated the harmful effects of common pollutants on public health and the environment. The role of several fungi in degrading these pollutants such as heavy metals, agricultural, pharmaceutical wastes, including polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, is enumerated. Future strategies to improve the rate and efficiency of mycoremediation are suggested. The manuscript describes the strategies which can be used as a future framework to address the global problem of pollution.”

I also really like constructed wetlands, as ways to remediate old brownfields and farmland, and as buffer structures against both climate extremes of flash flooding and drought, and for their biodiversity and migratory bird habitat benefits.

2 Likes

I haven’t dug into this specifically, but usually none of this “hippy dippy” stuff works at scale.

Our root issue is we’re rapidly approaching 10bb people, not that oil companies are mean or we don’t plant enough trees. right?

would be happy to be very wrong here!

1 Like

That’s a whole lot of prejudice right there.
It works at all scales.
Look into it, do your own research, learn about it, then come back and help promote it. :smile:

The One-Straw Revolution from Masanobu Fukuoka was first.
Bill and Geoff came later.

It is the basics on my farm here and it is pretty succesfull.
The permaculture system has to be adapted to the local microclimate and can differ allot.

3 Likes
1 Like