Pheno hunting- flower the clones or the mothers?

Started my first pheno hunt & am wondering if it’s better to leave the original mothers in veg & flower out the clones? The thought being less wear & tear on the original

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

Clones for sure, then you know what exactly to expect from there on out. As long as your environment or something else doesn’t change. Good luck!!!

3 Likes

Yea, ideally you would keep the seedling as the mother and flower out the clones.

But much of the time I flower out the seedling and keep a 1st generation clone as the mother plant. It’s just easier for me that way. I keep a bunch of smaller bonsai mother plants. So it’s usually just easier for me to turn a clone into a bonsai mom. I also don’t usually do very much training with plants from seed. I like to see what they grow like without any topping/training first.

I also flower out any potential keeper phenos at least twice (or sometimes 3x) before deciding which one to keep as the mother plant. I Flower every female out, narrow it down to the best ones. Then flower out another batch. Narrow down again and flower a 3rd time (if necessary) and pick a keeper. In my experience, plants change a bit as they reach peak maturity. Your favorite from batch 1 might not be your favorite from batch 2-3. Just my experience anyway.

4 Likes