Clone or mother for flowering?

I’ve 3 plants getting ready to flower, i need a 4th plant to go in with them.
Using a mother and re cloning it seems like the simplest solution, however I think i remember clones are a better option than a woody near root bound mother.

Maybe I’m mistaken it’s been a while?

I could strike a clone today root and flip it, or re pott the mother and give it a couple of weeks veging then flip

What would you do?

2 Likes

So I would say both have their advantages and disadvantages.

New clones will probably show better growth behavior than older mothers. They are only just starting to build up their root system and form biomass.

On the other hand, older mothers are hardened and the root system is already established. Whether I put a mother into flower would always depend on its general health.

If the roots are almost growing together, it can help to take the lady out of the pot and cut off 3-5 cm of soil from all sides and then fill it up with new soil.

i would use clones,if you have time… Unless you need to make room in the mother tent :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Ideal buddy thank you, I’m glad you confirmed that, it was knocking around in my head but only vaguely lol.

Fwiw they’re all healthy.
@m0sirys here’s a picture of them?

This could be issue, I’m limited with space and money hence the small tent, to help keep them compact I keep them in small pots and trim them frequently.

That’s not the one intend to flower I just picked up the nearest pot to give some scale to the pot size.

4 Likes

your welcome bro!

you will always find reasons for both cases :slight_smile: overall health was always a good indicator to me.!

1 Like

ok this plant can be flowered with out a prob after repotting :innocent:

they are not that old . so a little work on the roots repoot than flower :D:D:D
normaly probs will come with much older mothers

everything looking good :slight_smile:

here a mother that was over a year old and than flowerd(is flowering). yours are looking much healthier

29a0827558b4a4b66354a67f699ff321f281a0f4_2_666x500

3 Likes

The plant in question is almost 2 years old.
Back left plant in the above pic

I’ve done some root pruning and burying the stem to manage them along the way, I’m guessing that doesn’t matter in this case?

The plant above in my hand is only around 3 months old, I’ve only just harvested the mum so I’m undecided on that atm I need to smoke more lol

Many thanks.

2 Likes

ok close up you can see that the plant is older!

if she looks like this after two years… than i wouödn´t worry and use it for flowering, you do know your stuff. :slight_smile: just a little roor prune and some new soil :smiley:

5 Likes

That’s great @m0sirys many thanks for your help and advice :+1:

2 Likes

Every run, I take two clones make new moms. And throw the old moms in for flowering. Works great!!!

3 Likes

For a couple of years I was trying to find suitable mother’s to clone, instead of looking after 8/10 vigorous growing plants (thankless job) i started taking the clones around 4/5th week 12-12.

The clones take ages to recover which gives me enough time to grow and test the mother, if they were good I continue with them if not I’ve only nursed a clone.

That wouldn’t be my 1st choice for speed but for saving space, and work it’s ideal.

5 Likes

I ended up re potting 2 other plants, my intention was to re pot 1 other to give me 4 plants in flower.

I’ve a 2 pot autopot module I’ve been meaning to give it try, I used a similar set up some years ago and had fairly decent results.

Hand feeding to begin with, when I put it in the flower tent I’ll use the autopot module.

3 Likes

I do everything aquaponically… I’ve tried dirt a few times but I always mess something up an they die 🤷… But I like the idea of when you’re getting your clone, I always end up with the thankless job too.

1 Like

I’m going to re pot one other, 3 to 5 was only a side step I’ve still got the same problem lol.
If I grow 6 I’ll get a bit extra and the additional wattage will help with the temperatures.

I’ve filled a pot it’s heating, the medium was cold to the hand so i put off re potting it tonight untill tomorrow.

2 Likes

A couple of updated pics.
Autopot

Dtw re potted last week given a few days then flipped.

4 Likes