Plagron seed booster

So I bit the bullet and ordered a bottle of this product. The shipping was a bitch sense it’s only sold outside of the usa. Bottle was $18 shipping and tax brought it to $48. Will post a review once I get it and can test it on some seed.

18 Likes

Hell yeah let us know how it goes!! Its funny how you never know what a difference it would make… could this bring back old dead beans too?

5 Likes

It is supposed to give them alot better chance. I will do some tests with and with out the seed booster to compare.

8 Likes

It depends on the cells within the seed. If they have become damaged or dried out, that can cause the seed embryo to die and if the seed is dead it cannot be regenerated.

If the cells in the seed are still viable, no matter what age the seed is, it should be able to germinate.

I’ve used aspirin to help germinate old seeds with good success.

I’m curious to see how well this performs for germinating old seeds.

8 Likes

Bet if you did did a side by side you’d stick with jumpstart. Yet interested in the results. Jumpstart is also a low mix ratio of 2-5 ml per gal.

5 Likes

Those enzymes they list are all in malted barley ground up and mixed with water. Or I believe any SST. @Tinytuttle @ReikoX

9 Likes

Yesss one of us…Jump Start is one of the better deals out there. Every effective supplement, combined, super concentrated and cheap. That bottle will last me 2 years. We don’t get much Plagron stuff here stateside, maybe that’ll change soon.

MBferts has a similar product I’d ike to try called “secret sauce”.

4 Likes

I find this quite interesting. The enzymes in malted barley chew up long carbohydrates and turn them into short sugars. But at very precise temperatures.

Is that starch to sugar transformation beneficial to seeds? And at room temp?

Dont know, but I’m curious.

4 Likes

Protease/cellulase enzymes are available as digestive enzyme supplements as well. I’m not sure about the other ingredient, but I bet we could bootleg this for next to nothing.

8 Likes

There are far more enzymes in malted barley than just amylase enzymes, though those are the ones we are after when brewing beer. The barley seed contains all the vitamins, minerals, enzymes, PGRs, etc. that the seed needs to grow.

4 Likes

Ah yes. That makes more sense. I was hitting it from a brewing perspective.

3 Likes

Yes primarily alpha and beta amylase alpha breaks Long sugar chains in 1/2 while the beta amylase fo to work on the ends of sugar molecules one even. An alter the enzymes using either 2 row or 6 row barley I’m sure there’s a ton of others things at play as well
It’s these two enzymes that give beer either higher alcohol profiles or ones with more mouth feel and a higher dextrine content . Great thread!

4 Likes

I realize plagron isent here in the states, I’m in california though so it’s not impossible to get. If you all can bootleg the mix for less that would be awesome. I realize malted barley has some of the same and additional benefits but I wanted to try a professionally made product that was designed to achieve the specific intended results.

1 Like

Soak barley and use water to soak seeds. and water plants.

Blend sprouted barley for mature plants in living soil.

Any leftovers are enjoyed by the inhabitants of the compost bin.

7 Likes

Having used Plagron on non-canna endeavors, I can’t recommend the product.
I saw a boost between seeds given this product and seeds given nothing but a damp paper towel in a ziplock, but absolutely no boost in germination rate, seedling growth, seedling health, etc. in comparison with a custom brewed nutrient and rooting hormone concentrates and a 100% copy in germination process.

Make your own growth boosters! Biochemistry is our birthright; Those of us called Millenials have, since the birth of the last of us, had a connection to unbounded knowledge, saved up on backup servers to show people in the future what stupid shit we were doing today, and capable of allowing research scientists to directly contact and inform non-pro’s of their newest breakthroughs!
The internet and the amount of self-education material on the internet should leave absolutely no member of this site without a working base knowledge of bio-chemistry and genetics.
If pulling actual DNA strands out of solutions just requires certain over the counter office supplies, and whatever food coloring you want your genetic material to show up as - I see no reason whatsoever for all of us not having at least a 9th grade handle on sexual plant reproduction and the genetics at work therein.

2 Likes

I’ve read alot of mixed reviews as is normal with most products now a days. Decided to give it a try myself and document the results for the benefit of the community.
Also going to try a product called ryzofuel in the spring that is a concentrated form of kelp extract that has higher concentrations of gibberlin, auxins etc that benefit seedling development.
Bty I’m not having any issues with seed germination rather experimenting for the sake of future endeavors.
Tissue culture involves alot of the same science and is being explored I am specificaly interested in its use for old seed germination.
considering making custom mixes in future to find the best ratios in regards to cannabis if it hasent already been done in a similar matter to this

:point_right: The promotion of germination by gibberellin and cytokinins has been demonstrated in many seed species [38, 39]. Ref. [40] treated the seeds of Acacia longifolia, with GA3 at 100 and 200 ppm and found that the higher GA3 concentration (200 ppm) was more effective in increasing germination while the concentration of 500 ppm was the best in the case of Acacia catechu [41].

Ref. [42] found that fresh seed of Acacia nilotica and Acacia albida were fully germinated when soaked in a solution of GA3 at 200 ppm for 12 h. While soaking seeds of Acacia nilotica in gibberellic acid (100 or 300 ppm for 16 h) was the best [43]. Ref. [44] studied the effect of GA3 at a concentration of (50 ppm) on 16 species (four Acacia species), and found a high germination percentage for all species.

The effect of gibberellic acid and cytokinins were also recognized on the germination of other plant species seeds. Ref. [45] studied the effect of Kinetin at different concentrations on the seed germination of Acer tataricum, and found the highest germination percentage at the concentration of 500 ppm. Ref. [46] found the best germination percentage on soaking the seeds of Trifolium pratense in 50 ppm 6-benzylaminopurine (6-BAP). Ref. [47] studied the effect of Kinetin at different conc. (10, 25, 50 and 100 ppm) in the seeds of Cassia sophera, and found the highest germination percentage at 100 ppm. The treatment of freshly harvested and 1 year old seeds of soybean (Glycine max) with, 1 ppm 6-BAP increased the germination percentage from 50 to 85% in freshly harvested seeds and to 75% in the older seeds [48]. The effect of kinetin and 6-BAP on the seed germination of Vicia faba were studied, [49] found an increase in its germination percentage at the concentration of 100 ppm kinetin. While [50] found that, the highest germination percentage for faba bean (Vicia faba L.) was achieved at the concentration of 100 ppm 6-BAP. Also [37, 51] reported that the storage has an adverse effect on the hormone within the seeds of Acacia saligna, Acacia Cyclopes, Acacia nilotica and Acacia albida, which contained the lowest value of GA3, IAA and the highest content of phenols.

2 Likes

This is a decent short explanation of the role of different plant hormones in tissue culture that would also apply to seedling germination.

Auxins Cytokinins and Gibberellins.pdf (471.3 KB)

2 Likes

Beautiful, add some fulvic acid to kick it up a knotch!

2 Likes

Passing on a method I was advised of…Brother Mendel’s Selections/Breeder/Strainly. I will print it EXACTLY as he originally messaged me.
" Step 1 - Stratification of Seeds: Use your method to stratify. (We use 120 g s/p and place inside pill bottle, shaking 30-60 seconds. It will put a lot of abrasions on the outside of shell, allowing solution to penetrate easier.)
Step 2 - Mix EQUAL parts Organic Aloe Vera Water and Lentil Soak (to make this soak, we use PEAS or BEAN in DISTILLED WATER over night).
Step 3 - Add GA3 (Gibberellic Acid) to 25-35 PPM in this mixture. If seeds are older than 10-15, take it to 50 PPM. I’ve popped 35 year old seeds by playing with PPM levels.
NOTE: Get a quality PPM Meter!!! You run the risk of burning your seeds if PPM isn’t right!!!
Then and ONLY then should you soak your seeds in the solution".

I, indeed, tried this method on seeds local friend found in his garage. They were at least 20-25 years old!!! I managed roughly 75-80% germination!!! Plus, after peas/beans started to sprout, I put excess in wife’s blender and made the base for a tea. I only made a mixture of 10 ounces each part.

6 Likes

Acacia seeds are used in germination experiments because they have extremely hard seed coats that are impervious to water, making natural germination very scarce. Mother Nature uses fire to weaken their seed coats and help the acacia seeds germinate.

Treating seeds and/or scarification will help them germinate much faster.

A warm water soak for 24 hours can improve germination rates by about 40% - 60% and scarification may improve germination rates by 95%.

I know a lot about all kinds of plants… not just cannabis.

2 Likes