SST's who uses them?

I’m about to apply a seed sprout tea(SST) to my soil, I’m using organic corn from my local area this seems to help with lateral branching after the flip to flower while also adding beneficial enzymes, I’ll also add some coconut water and organic powdered seaweed then mix it all in a 5gl bucket.

I’m curious as to who also applies SST’s and any good tips or tweaks you use. I’ve heard Coots talk about malted barley but I’m yet to source that organic :v:t4:

12 Likes

Malted barley for beer making is what I’m using this spring. 1st time.
2 row barley, crystal malt, 12 hr bubble.

6 Likes

So how’re you gonna kiln that corn?
Dehydrator?

1 Like

Interesting!!! Good luck @FattyRoots looks like it’s going to be cool, but honestly, Im an organic idiot lolol. :v:

3 Likes

I use malted barley, it’s pretty much the same thing without all the work. I wouldn’t stress over “organic” barley. If it is good for beer making, it should be good. Those beer guys are very picky about quality. :grin:

7 Likes

Doesn’t sound like Ian is in the states.

Like Coot says " If you want “good, flavorful, organic (insert whatever here) you have to grow it yourself”.

Found a nursery in GA that has barley and other seed grains on ebay.

Some packs are doubled and quick delivery.

https://www.ebay.com/str/twowilliesnursery

I’ve grown many different grains before but the very first time I did, it was cereal rye and the whole crop got ergot.

1 Like

I dry it on the cob in the sun then remove the kernels with my hands

2 Likes

I use popcorn n barley in veg and switch to 25% popcorn n mung beans in flower…

2 Likes

I use both corn (just let bulk popcorn sprout) sst and malted rye from a brew shop, like every 3rd or 4th water. More often when they are little, like every other water

Oh corn when young, rye once into flower

2 Likes

I never tried rye…even mung beans i barely use little bit because i heard they are hot like alfalfa…i go every other week and use banana peels inbetween

3 Likes

I use 6 row malted barley for its high protein and enzyme content. I think it work’s great. Feeds microbes and breaks down organic matter for plant food. I usually don’t dry malted barley unless I make a lot of it. I fill my blender half way fill with water and mix well. I then use that per 5 gallons on water every 7 to 10 days.

How to make Seed Sprout Tea (SST) for cannabis plants- Alchimia Grow Shop.

2 Likes

I’m probably in the minority here, but I have never had malted grains give me the effect of SST’s. I love SST’s, I have been using them for years. I also like to think of the secondary metabolites. So, if I was having fungal/bacterial issues, I might apply a fenugreek, radish or mustard SST.

I do like to use a little aloe and potassium silica when I apply the teas.

Edit: @FattyRoots it would be of my opinion those seeds are over sprouted for an SST. It’s my understanding you want to blend them up when the tap root is about as long as the seed (sometimes I let them get a little longer).

And I like to use more water when blending rather than less. I feel like I extract more of the good stuff out.

3 Likes

@PlantShepherd you are completely correct mate, that was from only 36hrs after soaking…things go extremely fast here in the tropics and I got caught off guard but I prefer about 1cm of sprout.

2 Likes

I have moringa trees on my property and the seeds are very medicinal so I’ve been trying a few teas with those too. I can’t really find any info on tests done on the use of moringa inputs on plants though so still trialing it

3 Likes

So you guys just blend the entire sprout, seed coat and all?
I’ve been using the bubbler with the barley.

2 Likes

I’ve been bubbling my malted grains, then straining them out.

This is my first grow using them. I have malted grains for mycology on hand. They grow mycellium insanely fast… shhhhh. I’ve been thinking about mixing them into my soils for mycorhyzzo things to grow on. I used to mix oatmeal in for that, don’t know why I ever stopped.

3 Likes

I’ve been tossing a few alfalfa pellets into each pot as I replant my little ones.
And have been revisiting an old practice of mine for outdoor garden plants.
I kept losing potting mix after watering, so I started placing fall leaves for the active compost I was doing at the time into the bottom of my pots to block off the drain holes.
Upon transplanting, cukes, zukes, tomatoes, wife’s flowers all had healthy roots through and around the now crumbling leaf mass.
Sort of a mini Hügelkultur.

Now I graduated to still solid twigs and branches sifted from the compost.
I boil everything that comes indoors, compost, pine bark mulch, twigs and leaves. Everything except EWC.
A small one burner electric element fits a 5 gal stainless steel pot just right.

I’ve absolutely had it with fungus gnats.
Boiling is an ounce of golden prevention.

3 Likes

From another thread I posted this question: I know it’s unthinkable to consider but I have a couple ounces of seed that is potentially from a hermie male, dare I SST them?

4 Likes

Sure, you can do this. I’ve used bird seed before too. Pole bean seeds. I use organic popping corn from the supermarket the most though. I soak the seed overnight in water. ( I edited that part in because I forgot) I put the seeds in a moist paper towel, when they sprout tails i add some water and the sprouts into a blender, grind them up and strain into 5 gals of water. I use the grinds in the worm bin.
The malted barley I think you dont even need to sprout it? I just use what I have.
It seems to me, that corn SST seems to fasten ripening a bit and boosts trichomes, but thats just from very limited personal experience.

4 Likes

Good to know and thanks for the post.

My first 'shroom grow was on bird seed.
When I was a kid, hemp seeds were plentiful in bird seed.
My old man came yelling at me one day claiming I was growing pot behind the garage, right where he had his bird feeder set up.
“Not me Dad. Mine’s growing indoors in that special nightstand I made.”

Funny how he came right to me and not my slick, older brother.

3 Likes