Please ID this tiny black bug i found in a bud

Western Flower Thrips

Misquote bits and iso and water spray will take care of them as long as you wipe out the adults before they mate and lay eggs. If you can’t break the cycle they will be around forever. They lay eggs in the soft flesh of stems and leaves. The larva hatch and feed on the plant. Drops into the soil to transition to adult. You can see them flying around. You’ll never know they are there looking at the plant, they are quick and small, but flying they are slow and unable to control. They fly to the light and fall back down and this is how they spread.

1 Like

I think it is a springtail too. The best way to identify the mystery critter is to examine the antenna under a microscope. The number of segments that make up the antenna is one key to ID. It could be a thrip as well.

Thrip

Springtail
tmp2044_thumb_thumb

Thrips usually have more antenna segments than springtails which usually have four segments.

https://what-when-how.com/insects/collembola-springtails-snow-fleas-insects/

3 Likes

Shieeeeettt this is a tuff one to call. Going to have to monitor main tent and clones that are revegging.

I hope its a fully matured springtail. I do have many springtails in my soil.

It has been cold and wet outside and that is where i suspect these intruders came from.

The way the head connects does not look like the thirp. Not sure what the top view of the springtail looks like to compare.

2 Likes

LOL! Now you have me second guessing myself :sweat_smile:

At the very least, I don’t think it’s a thrip. Those are a real pain in the ass…

2 Likes

I think the bug at top is 1/2 of a termite or ant.

Bottom bug (close-up below) i think is a thrip or leaf hopper?. Look close at the longer back legs. That’s a “hopping” bug.

1 Like

Thats a gnat i got plenty to reference and compare lol.IMG_6270

4 Likes

That sure looks like a springtail set of antennae.

2 Likes

Is there any damage to the plant leaves? If there is damage the type of Damage Done to the leaves if it’s done by the bug will help determine what kind of bug it is.

1 Like

So far no damage to clones that are revegging.