Pollen Drying and Storing

somebody drying pollen in a pan with paper and at minimum power?? And what about drying absorber in a pan. Sure riсe is a good like absorber. Need try.

3 Likes

What’s your technique for saving pollen. I have not had good luck.

1 Like

@PhilCuisine had some Pollen that was viable after 15 years.He may have a tip or two …I know he likes to store in the refrigerator and uses tinfoil not too certain after that.I got some pollen from Doug and I took the dime baggie of pollen and I stuck it with two desiccant packs inside one of those scent proof Mylar bags that hold like an eighth then I stuck that in a jar filled with rice then put that in the freezer.Will see if it worked very soon.

3 Likes

I have been pulling the flowers off when they open and the pollen bananas are dangling you can see the pollen and it’s kind of sparkley I popp those in a container with desiccant packets in it with a paper towel a little Tupperware container.I wait a couple days picking flowers as I go then when I get a big enough pile I take a dinner plate and I use a screen pan lid to drop the dried flowers on.I agitate them a bit not too rough to push plant material into the pollen.I collect it with a silicone spatula and put it in one of those micro vials back into the desiccant Tupperware and I leave the lid open in the vial to dry out the pollen in the tube before I close it up.I periodically rotate said vial once the pollen flows like sand in an hour glass your good to close it up.If your pollen is all clumpy you fucked up and there’s moisture in it.I put all my vials labeled inside a mini thermos in my refrigerator that I plan on using soon so no one opening up the fridge jacks up the humidity that’s what messes up pollen the worst.My long term pollen is in the freezer

3 Likes

What about just simply collecting the pollen, letting it sit and dry for a few hours, put it into those little plastic vials and throwing it straight into the freezer? Just throwing it out there, I’ve never been tried collecting and storing before so all this is completely new to me

1 Like

For medium or long term storage you need to really dry out the pollen.

This worked.

I’ve got some ‘tucked away’ to test at the 1 year mark.

Cheers
G

7 Likes

I can vouch for that haha. The pollen was viable.

1 Like

As you’re going for storage, would you care to share some pollen? I got a selected pakistani mum waiting for a gentleman caller. Also got a chitrali landrace gal. Can offer chitral x nepal F1 pollen in return and of course the offspring of your donor.

1 Like

The bit I have left is from a second rate male (didn’t make the cut) I wouldn’t recommend this for breeding stock.
The only reason I collected it was to free up the good pollen for other folks, wow, it went fast!

Cheers
G

4 Likes

No worries mate. Thanks for the quick reply!

Another thing: I was thinking if instead of mixing with flour, wouldn’t dry rice also do the trick? Anybody tried that yet?

@Gpaw top quality grower.I read the whole thing and kept me busy for some time.
What would you do if you were me,One single tent,One single fem auto from seed,some colloidal silver 50ppm and storing 5-6 months the pollen I obtain for pollinating another auto later?(I Need to spray only One lower branch,the others I want to make Buds out of em)
I Will be a first timer on that.
Do not have silica gel packs,but can get a plastic box or use my vacuum food machine with plastic bags.

1 Like

The food vacuum machine is great. Just desiccate the pollen first.

‘Officially’ I only have one tent too, but I do have a spare room I use for pollinating and a 4’ shelf for cloning etc.
Checkout Mr. Sparkle’s setup, he puts most of us to shame… :sweat_smile:

In your case I’d do as you said, reverse a couple lower branches for pollen, store and use that pollen on the next auto(s).
Go lightly with the pollination, we all hit them too hard the first few times… :laughing:

Cheers
G

3 Likes

Thank you @Gpaw,Always on point,kudos for your green thumb
Peace,stay safe
:heart:
Also @Mr.Sparkle gave me some previous insight in a different thread,he too Is a top quality grower

1 Like

Can anyone share the info?
How long before the opening of the pollen sacs does the pollen become viable?

The reason I ask is this.
I only have one space. Male plants can be transferred to a relative’s empty house for a couple of days. I can’t go there every now and then. I thought I would pick the flowers and put them on paper in a tupperware container along with dehydrated epsom salt.
That’s how I dried mushrooms and it does the job quite well.
Does it make sense?

Thank you

2 Likes

Put up a pic if you can. If the sacs are getting ready, you can cut the tops off, and put them in a glass of water. Mabe add some light nute to the water.

Find a quiet corner, and lean the cuts over a plate or glass sheet. i use the tempered glass from old refridgerators.

I like to see the pollen fall from the plant, personally. i have heard of cutting the pods open, too sketchy for me after putting all the effort.

A cup of water is fine, but you do the whole plant as well.

Good luck, there are few things more fun for me than collecting and spreading pollen :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

There is someone on this forum with a little clear plastic bucket ‘windless’ collection station. I forget who it is. Will look around.
P1010107

5 Likes

Looks like we need a revival in this thread.

I have this little 3 part box with a screen in between. I’ve put rice with the freshly clipped sacks that are starting to open and dump pollen. After a day or two I’ll shake the box a little and scrape up some pollen from the bottom which is smooth for collecting keif. Im thinking I’ll add sacks every day to the box when they start to drop pollen

This was keif btw

5 Likes

those male flowers are a little too green, wait until the flowers start to open before harvesting them for pollen collection. when they are more developed, open, and more yellow than green, you’ll get better results and more viable pollen.

4 Likes

Alright. They were dropping pollen when I was clipping them tho.

1 Like

Sounds good tho. I do have quite a bit more to get it right haha.

4 Likes

that’s a cool stashbox too, by the way.

When the flowers have turned yellow they have a lower moisture content so the pollen they are dropping will be more viable and quicker to dry for shelf stable storage in the freezer. Reducing the amount of time it takes for the pollen to dry improves viability and prevents the pollen from clumping.

5 Likes