Pollen Extractors / Dry Sift Tumblers

I’ve never thinked about to do that with an electric “tumbler” lol Make sense.
The output is top grade damn.

2 Likes

I found these parts. (Edit by Jellypowered - 80$ DIY Tumbler)

[5 pound vibratory tumbler]
https://m.harborfreight.com/5-lb-metal-vibrator-tumbler-67617.html?utm_referrer=direct%2Fnot%20provided

3 gallon bucket.

Bungee chords to hold lid in place.

4 eye screws for bottom, 4 for top. (Used to hold the bungee chord into place! )

The EZ-strainers are here
http://www.dudadiesel.com/choose_item.php?id=fs5xQTY5
These with ranging micron sizes 75, 100, 200, 400 micron.

7 Likes

How does the bucket sit on the base? Unit is 9-3/4" (I am assuming base is less as this is probably the total with - chamber is wider) and I believe the base of a 3 gallon bucket is about 11 or 12 inches.

2 Likes

There is a screw bolt in the middle. It’s secured and will not move. The bungee chords are to hold the lid in place.

@I_thewindcries Merged your topic into this one as it’s relevant.

I Like it. If you find that harbor freight vibratory tumbler is too loud for you,

I have Hornady 050202 M-1 Case Tumbler, 110V and it’s so quiet you forget that it’s on.

Thanks for the ez-strainer link as well. Nice for a 5 gallon bucket :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Oh, right, the shaft that comes up in the middle to hold on the lid. Been a while since I used a case tumbler/polisher (don’t reload anymore). How difficult is it to get the keif out after? I would guess a rounded (same curve as the bucket) would work, right?

2 Likes

@I_thewindcries & @Jellypowered
I’m curious to see the quality of dry sift that comes out of it and any observations about duration versus quality/quantity.

On the PollenExtractor, I’ve found that about 2 hours at a slower speed gave me just trichomes, 3 hours just barely started to include plant matter, and 4 hours produced a noticeable change in hash color. I also found that the best preparation method was to break up the flower in the sifter, after freezing both the flower and the sifter. To the best of my understanding this creates a situation where the flowers break up nicely without going to powder, even with older materials.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info on timing. I was going to put 20-30 glass marbles in the top tray in order to agitate the plant matter. Do you think that’s a good idea? Or should I just run the material normally?

1 Like

I haven’t gotten around to making the rig for the vibratory tumbler, so i can’t speak on it’s results yet.

I found with my 110 mesh (approx 150 micron) silk screen that I get just a bit of plant matter in the dry sift, for me it’s no biggie. Personally myself I am not brave enough to try the hash as I have a low tolerance lol. Wife likes to put it on her bowls though and says it adds effect and flavor.

I break up my flower/trim by hand (just a good squeeze of the trim to make smaller chunks) and pull the bud apart into small chunks. I have thought about using a coffee grinder to rough process flower into pre-ground chunks, but the key to the whole process seems to be how cold you keep it. I don’t have a large enough freezer to run my apparatus inside the freezer so I imagine my results are a little more limited than yours.

3 Likes

I know that when I was trying to use a bubble bag as a dry sieve, that adding crushed dry ice seemed to help keep everything freezing cold outside of a freezer and it acted as a sharp sided agitation media. I’d highly suggest dry ice crushed into pieces about the size of a quarter (or the equivalent sized coin :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ) at a rate of approximately half a cup per ounce of plant matter.

Frozen marbles could be good too, I haven’t tested those so I can’t speak on their effectiveness. I encourage you to experiment with them @I_thewindcries!

2 Likes

I’ve tested “frozen granitic cubes” for manual dry sieves (because water in my hash is a bit a no-no for me) and it don’t work well. You need too much cubes to keep the temps stable, and they weight too much. You get green too fast.

I think than you manner to put the tumbler in the freezer is just a gold idea hard to beat lol I’m planning to watch after “camping” freezer to build directly the tumbler inside. Well, not entirely true : to ask to a friend to build it for me on plans because i totally sux at dabbling this kind of things lmao

4 Likes

I looked up the recipe for using an old ice cream maker to convert into a hash machine on the other OG site. It looked compelling and easier to build than my rock tumbler design. I found a motorized ice cream maker at the local Habitat for Humanity store. It was missing the middle paddle for making ice cream, but that is not needed for hashish making. I will cut large slots in the sides of the canister with a Dremel drill cutting disk, and put silk screen over the slots. I will also add some cut half inch wide 90 degree aluminum railing inside the canister to support the canister and agitate the bud. That is about all that is needed. I will wait a couple more months until it is freezing outside, and just run it outdoors when it is below freezing with frozen busted up buds inside. It looks like it will be able to do an ounce at a time. Total cost is $7.50, $3 for the ice cream maker, and $3.50 for the aluminum rail. And whatever the polyester ‘silk screen’ and some duct tape costs.

4 Likes

Sounds like we followed the same guide :wink:

Mine works pretty well and yea… winter time processing seems smart considering I don’t have a freezer that big either!

Post up some pics when when ya get it done!

1 Like

Update for my latest experiment with the Pollen Extractor.

Another update: After about a month of use the bottom of the plastic container has cracked and the inner plastic piece that acts as a spindle guide has shattered. I replaced the inner spindle guide with a piece of plastic from an old rubbermaid container.

I plan on finding a new container with a length that matches the old one and rebuilding the sifter in it. I’ll try to find a more cold durable material for the rebuild.

6 Likes

Congratulations @Sebring ! You’ve made Jelly’s DIY LINK-O-RAMA!

2 Likes

Ok ok, I’ve had a few rips on the vape and I have another idea. What about incepting a 5 gallon bucket with a kief drum and then rotating the whole thing on wheels. Maybe you could turn an RC car upside down and put the bucket on it… or get 3-4 hamsters to run in unison.

5 Likes

Your idea is a good one. In fact it’s the same principle being used in many compost\vermicompost sifters.

https://www.google.com/search?q=commercial+compost+sifters&client=ms-android-att-aio-us&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwja4I7L2MjgAhWMGt8KHVJkDQEQ_AUoAnoECAwQAg&biw=360&bih=520

4 Likes

I’m going to build a tumbler. I dry ice right now, but I really care about quality over quantity. Dry ice does pretty well with the terps, but I realized one day how much plant matter was still in the hash when I tried to make temple balls and failed miserably. It still presses a pretty decent rosin, but dry sift is just a better solution.

When I start the build, I’ll add pictures as I go. I need one ASAP since I have 4 JS plants and 2 black doms that are unsmokably filled with seeds. :joy:

3 Likes

Tumbler is built. I fabricated the drum with my laser cutter. Cut the ends and used clamps from ebay parts. Stitched a nylon mesh sock with my sewing machine using some elastic for the ends. It worked out really well… probably <$100 in parts. The motor does get hot as hell after a while. If it burns out, it was only $15 anyway… and I’ll attach some heatsinks if it burns out.

Still a few kinks to work out, but so far, I’m impressed!

23 Likes

:+1::+1::+1: Much better looking rosin from dry sift. This was my first time pressing dry sift, and it’s definitely cleaner than dry ice.

24 Likes