Pre-soaking seeds - "The Float Test"

It would happen overnight. I added peroxide as well. Happened so much I’ve never done it again.

3 Likes

are those what I think they are ??

3 Likes

I recall this. But now ONLY use distilled water for all my plants fist 2 weeks of life. After that filtered tap:+1:

3 Likes

This ones ready, I see a tail…

2 Likes

I soak then in warm water on a heat mat covered for darkness. I check on them periodically and poke them if they are still floating, they all sink eventually, then wait for them to crack exposing a tendril, then plant them.
I have found like others here the fast grrminators are usually the vigorous seedlings.

1 Like

They don’t look good at all, they needed to sink. Send them to me, I will properly dispose of them by dropping them in a pot of soil… :rofl:

2 Likes

Oh wow, like I said the only time I ever had anything like that happen was when I had 50 seeds in a single paper towel and over half those were dead seeds to begin with. Crazy world we live in. And for the record my house and grow are far from sterile.

2 Likes

Yes, yes they are. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:Five are above ground and 3-4" high.

:green_heart: :seedling:

3 Likes

Sometimes hydrogen peroxide messes me up it seems like it kills the tails. They will crack open and then I’ll put them on a towel or something in a container and then they will close back up and want open. Regular tapwater works best for me. Just talking I’ve had a few problems with this one bag of seeds that I got. Only got a couple of them to crack open and then that was it they didn’t do anything. I didn’t put them in seed starter just straight FoxFarm happy frog sometimes it’s got to me stems in it. That could be my problem. I still got others that come up. I select anyway.

Has anybody ever had a seed germinate and grow vigorously only to grow cotyledons then stop.
I’ve got one that did then stalled for 14 days now, no true leaves!

4 Likes

Yes, I have had them get there, stop and fall over and die. :sleepy:
:green_heart::seedling:

2 Likes

I’ve had this happen several times. Literally no sign of any other growth besides the cotyledons. I have yet to figure out if it’s something I’ve done or if it’s just a few strange dud seeds. I don’t know if it’s just something that happens with all batches of seeds or if it’s something that just happens cause the seeds are getting old.

If anyone knows why this happens I’d love to know.

1 Like

I hear soaking them is a total gamble because if you cause water to soak up too much it causes positive pressure inside the seed shell and makes the insides swell and kills it inside shell before it ever has a chance… your best bet is johnnypotseeds germination method with worm castings… no soaking no worrying just put em on top of moistened worm castings and that’s it… they will pop!!! Can take up to 14 days? I think? I don’t think it matters because they pop relatively quickly in the castings… check it out if you havent… I just started doing it this way and it is absolutely working on seeds over like 13 years old… maybe a seed scuff … but no soaking!!!

6 Likes

Also what water do you use ?

1 Like

I have seen that happen and I just had it happen. I noticed something else to around the little bottom of the seed I don’t know what you call it where it come loose from the stem. I’ve seen mold get on there sometimes from over soaking the seeds.

2 Likes

Yeah man soaking seeds is just bad juju lol

1 Like

It’s just better to either go directly in a moist paper towel w water after a decent scuff… or on top of worm castings after a decent scuff… or even no scuff… but shit… scuff em!

1 Like

I never did it before until I came here. Guess it was because it was the proof of dropping the seed. You could put any seed. I do notice that I do not use tags but I noticed no one recognizes it so it’s not a big deal to me but maybe to them. I will go back to the sanding method. And then drop it in dirt. I did do something like Johnny does but I don’t use manure and I haven’t done that since I’ve been on here. I make a little mud cake or a mud pie and I just put my seeds on top of it and then I just put a little bit of dirt on top and then I cover it with a top that has holes in it. And then I would just keep them out with a spoon and then put them right in the dirt never touching or contaminating the seed whatsoever. I do have pictures of this I just have to go to the other site. I just have to round up the pictures. Don’t care for the worm castings. The reason is I don’t ever use it I did it one time but it’s not worth it for me to get it and only use it for that one use. It always attracts something. I only used it for the soil that was it. @JohnnyPotseed and @MoBilly does a great job with it. To be honest next time I will be using it. And I will find a use for it afterwards.

4 Likes

Well worm castings is in most soils… so I plan on just mixing it in my promix hp… I feel like even if I had to throw it in the trash afterwards it was well worth the germination rate… as seeds are usually more of a hassle to attain for most than worm castings are… what did it attract if I can ask?

you just use any left over to amend your soil with cuz

or you could put into your compost bin

3 Likes