Questions about deep water culture

AHH so requires alot more attention, sounds temperamental

Yea I did the 5 gal bucket for years. It’s a bit more work when you do full water changes but the plus is when you have it dialed in you can leave it for long weekends without having to worry about watering (or under or over watering in general). If you get a deficiency you can easily adjust. The trick is to keep it simple as possible. I did Lucas formula using just maxibloom powder (and an occasional scoop of epsom salt). Very ph stable. People tend to make it crazy complicated. Got really amazing results.

5 Likes

Like anything requires more attention at first then it becomes routine. I top off res and check and adjust pH daily (maybe 5 mins a plant). I do res changes as needed (not every 7-10 days as rec). I run the hose for air pump through top next to net pot and lift plant and stone from one bucket to new one with fresh nutes. Sometimes plants get too big and I just top of res (not uncommon to feed gallon a day). It all depends what appeals to us. I also grow in soil and coco. When your retired and daytime tv is the option rather be in the tents.

5 Likes

i used dwc for years until i switched to rockwool. i can now leave out of town for 10 days without question so much better than with dwc for someone who isnt around all the time or who doesnt want to check on the girls all the time.
says the guy with wifi timers and wifi cameras. lol

6 Likes

Oxygen saturation increases as temperature decreases. If you are in a consistently hot environment, keeping the dissolved oxygen high and mitigating root rot can be a challenge. Some folk will cool the solution using a chiller similar to what is used for salt-water aquariums.

I’d say rdwc is one of the more complex solutions that can produce significant advantages but you have to be willing to tweak your set-up and be prepared ahead of time for things that could go wrong. Broken pumps, extended power-outages, infection, flooding, etc.

Conversely, from my perspective, the simplest solution is a soil media.

6 Likes

Once you get everything dialed in, it gets so easy…I turned my Phototrons in to SWC…

Phototrons…SWC/TRON

3 Likes

They are some nice healthy roots. :v: ngl looks like my hair when I brush the curls out :joy:

Thankyou for all the input I will get back to you guys but the most part is reading and asking @anon58740919 for simpleton translations so please do bare with me​:joy::v:

1 Like

I’ll catch up and decipher soon. For now I’m making food. Finding some shit to watch on netflix and then be having a smoke and a señorita beater :rofl:

Senorita beater for the record :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Water roots will not drown when submerged and only absorb water and nutrients through the root tips. Normal roots cannot handle being submerged in water and would drown if kept in water too long, but they absorb water and nutrients from the whole root, not just the root tip like with water roots.

2 Likes

I’ve found my air pumps off, after what must have been an extended period of time, because I had no clue when it could have been disabled, and the plants were fine. I assumed I was just lucky, but it did make me wonder.

2 Likes

Señor beater you mean :joy: oh don’t worry my love Im having a big glass so bloody hurry up I’m hungry and need some translations :muscle::see_no_evil::joy::heart:

The second plant from the right was a Hempy Bucket. I changed out the solution ever two weeks. I had an air stone at first but my air pump got wet (rain, this was outdoors) and died. It was fine without it. The water absorbs oxygen from the air, as said, the colder the temp the more oxygen.

7 Likes

No disrespect for DWC at all, but since you are in the prospecting stage, check out the Octopot & Micro Octopots threads on OG…

2 Likes

I’ve seen your thread too bro. Nice concise information. Her fiancé (me) also builds equipment and lighting :sunglasses: but I’m a flood and drain guy. Not a DWC guy. You always see issues crop up that are hard to correct IMHO.

Built this one around December 2020. 808 headband in there.
current build in testing at the moment. Pic is a little older but check colas closet of chaos for a better idea

2 Likes

Thankyou for you’re suggestion I will look forwards to having a read up about them :v:

3 Likes

DWC is how I gained SOO MUCH SKILL for soil/soilless.

You gotta keep on that with PH and nute adjustments 1-2x a day so you get honed on growing as you have no buffer. Once you get this down and switch to soil you’ll already have the skills to grow solid nugs as long as the genetics say “yes” to good growth. :+1:

I ended up building a recirculating DWC system when I wanted to grow more than 1x plant cause I’m not willing to deal with more than 1 bucket at a time :rofl:

4 Likes

Another question about rDWC, if you dont mind me jumping in.

This is my setup"

I am wondering about the depth. I am using 5gal buckets. Would there be any benefit to using deeper buckets? I have a bucket, same diameter as a 5 gal but it is an 8 gal so it is a lot taller. Would the extra depth be worth pursuing?

1 Like

So I’ve been informed, not particularly no it’s about the volume all together. Hope this helps :blush::green_heart:

1 Like