Questions about deep water culture

Señor beater you mean :joy: oh don’t worry my love Im having a big glass so bloody hurry up I’m hungry and need some translations :muscle::see_no_evil::joy::heart:

The second plant from the right was a Hempy Bucket. I changed out the solution ever two weeks. I had an air stone at first but my air pump got wet (rain, this was outdoors) and died. It was fine without it. The water absorbs oxygen from the air, as said, the colder the temp the more oxygen.

7 Likes

No disrespect for DWC at all, but since you are in the prospecting stage, check out the Octopot & Micro Octopots threads on OG…

2 Likes

I’ve seen your thread too bro. Nice concise information. Her fiancé (me) also builds equipment and lighting :sunglasses: but I’m a flood and drain guy. Not a DWC guy. You always see issues crop up that are hard to correct IMHO.

Built this one around December 2020. 808 headband in there.
current build in testing at the moment. Pic is a little older but check colas closet of chaos for a better idea

2 Likes

Thankyou for you’re suggestion I will look forwards to having a read up about them :v:

3 Likes

DWC is how I gained SOO MUCH SKILL for soil/soilless.

You gotta keep on that with PH and nute adjustments 1-2x a day so you get honed on growing as you have no buffer. Once you get this down and switch to soil you’ll already have the skills to grow solid nugs as long as the genetics say “yes” to good growth. :+1:

I ended up building a recirculating DWC system when I wanted to grow more than 1x plant cause I’m not willing to deal with more than 1 bucket at a time :rofl:

4 Likes

Another question about rDWC, if you dont mind me jumping in.

This is my setup"

I am wondering about the depth. I am using 5gal buckets. Would there be any benefit to using deeper buckets? I have a bucket, same diameter as a 5 gal but it is an 8 gal so it is a lot taller. Would the extra depth be worth pursuing?

1 Like

So I’ve been informed, not particularly no it’s about the volume all together. Hope this helps :blush::green_heart:

1 Like

Are you talking about total system volume, or individual bucket volume?

My buckets are about 4 gals at level.
My total system volume including the 2 buckets and the reservoir, is about 20gal.

My sump (reservoir) can easily be filled to 40 gals if needed. Usually I only raise the level if it will be unattended for a few days.

2 Likes

It’s the total volume in each individual bucket to each plant, basically you are accounting for the rhizosphere/root ball. Think bigger roots bigger fruits. Or a fish only growing to the size of it’s tank :v:

2 Likes

So volume of the plant vessel. I get it.

So the deeper bucket might be beneficial, not necessarily because it is deeper, but because it is a larger volume.

Hmmmmmm…

So, how much “vigor” does it buy you?
What if I used a 20 gal vessel?
At what point does it amount to a diminishing return?

The larger volume will buy you time between refreshing the res. How much depends on the size of the plant and how much plant is eating at the time ( plant uptake varies at different growth stages)

2 Likes