Rather have 6 plants in 1 gal pots or 3 plants in 3 gal pots?

I agree with @Olbrannon on this one. 1 gallon is on the small side for dirt but I’ve had quite a few plants top 5oz dry weight in a gallon of coco.
I have re-potted at up to week 3 of bloom from 1 gallon of dirt up to 3 gallons and gave them an extra 10 days to finish properly. That worked well enough :+1:

3 Likes

Are lights different in both tents? I would up pot to 3 gals enough plants to fill but not crowd the flower tent, up pot also some in the veg tent to cover the space left by the others and flower also the veg tent.

When the first batch of the previous grow is done, I would fill the flower tent with those 3 gals left on the veg tent … :sunglasses:

3 Likes

You can flower out 1gal pots just fine in fact many of my biggest plants were grown in 1gal pots. Just with smaller pots you will need to water them much more frequently to keep the root mass hydrated and avoid root issues.

7 Likes

Different perspective: soil or coco? From my experience with coco, root bound is much less issue. In fact I have never seen root bound plant in hydro (including huge mothers). On the other side with soil I’ve observed clear linear relationship between pot volume and plant size.

11 Likes

Goji in 3 gallon and use the 1 gallon for the c99 but really depends on how long you plan on vegging them . I’m becoming a big fan of beds but you have to have the space.

2 Likes

I do better with fewer bigger plants personally. But sometimes we have to do what we have to do…:+1::seedling:

5 Likes

Here’s an example grow of 1gal coco.
…around Post 34 in this thread.

The previous seven clone run was in 2gal.
Last run was the 1gal.

For me…Fewer larger plants/pots are easier than many small. And more fun to scrog.

2 Likes

personally I’d go with 3 in 3… larger plants without the 6 plant limit (most places have)… still have room(plant count not space) to germinate 3 more later down the road before the first 3 are done with flowering if space frees up…

2 Likes

For my current specific situation, I no longer use three gallon containers for cannabis at all. Indoors or outside.
And considering that yield is low on my list of priorities, I generally use 1 gallon or smaller for my reefer plants. The big drawback is that they require more watering/feeding, but I have the time. I prefer a variety of different flowers over yield per plant.

The small containers are very easy for me to move, I can carry 2 or 3 at a time.

This makes me realize that over the years that I have been growing, my technique has evolved to use smaller and smaller containers. I currently use ProMix… maybe I should try coco and see if I can go even smaller…
:grinning:

9 Likes

Have a batch in one gal containers right now and just started flowering. The auto is doing great. We’ll see how the photos perform.

1 Like

Thanks LJ. I appreciate you chiming in. They are in coco. I up potted the 3 Gojis and switched to 12/12 in the other tent to flower the rest where they are. Rookie mistake! RESPECT…

:cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

6x 1 gallon pots…

18 Likes

Nice donkey dick Tappy. What is your light wattage?

2 Likes

what was they dry weight on that @tappy? must have been like almost no veg time on that, was it an auto?

how big is your flower tent @oleskool830? i was growing four or five 5 gal pots in my 4x4 but i’ve decided to switch to more smaller plants in 3 gal pots … less veg time and more variety … if i had a 2x4 or basically anything smaller than a 4x4 i’d probably use 1-2 gal pots

1 Like

Using a marshydro TS1000 and a 200 watt vero dimmed to about 100-150w in a 2’ x 7’ space (only using 2’ x 3’).

I’m still waiting for it to dry. But you’re right, it was pretty much 12/12 from seed…did 1 week veg…no auto…50states ufs18 from the fundraiser.

3 Likes

Hey @legalcanada! Haven’t heard from you in a bit. Hope you’re well and staying lifted. My flower tent is 4X4. I can get 6 X 3gal pots in there comfortably. The 1 gal pots are in a 2X3. I just flipped the light and going to flower them where they sit. Should be interesting. I used to grow 12/12 from seed a few years ago. Lotsa fun!

:cowboy_hat_face:

5 Likes

I recently popped a few of these. I’ve never seen a plant that compact before.
Looks almost like bonsai!

Lob

1 Like

Yeah, it was awesome…cut a few leaves off, but no training or anything special.

1 Like

This is why I want to cross the pre98 bubba with UFS18 so bad…2 liter for size reference.

4 Likes

i would love to have such nice colas.

1 Like