Rather have 6 plants in 1 gal pots or 3 plants in 3 gal pots?

I have serious space issues. My veg space is so overcrowded with plants in 1 gal pots. I usually up pot and put in flower. But flower tents still have 3 weeks to go. Do I just switch the lights to 12/12 and flower the tent in the 1 gal pots? I could up pot and flower the whole tent but would have 1/2 the number of plants in 3 gal pots? Whatcha think? Thanx in advance for your thoughts.

:cowboy_hat_face:

9 Likes

If you veg then very long you will need to transplant to 3gal imo but if you only veg a very short time the 1gal will be fine.

4 Likes

I had a similar problem . I had 9 plants in 1 gal pots in my 24" x 36" veg tent that were ready to go into the 48" x 48" flower tent but still had 2 plants flowering that are taking longer then expected . Just this morning I up potted the 9 into 3 gal . I moved the 2 that were flowering into my veg tent and changed the timer to 12/12 . The 9 are now in the flower tent . A bit crowed but I prefer that they are in 3 gal . Mine are all clones in soil . 3 gal is the smallest pot I like to flower in personally .

1 Like

Yeah it definitely depends on veg times. Both are possible to pull off. Of course bigger pots are always preferable but people flower a 2-3ft in a solo cup.

2 Likes

are they all the same strain ?

2 Likes

For this particular instance it may not help you…but fyi

I have been told and concur that roots grow differently in coco coir vs soil and that you can grow a bigger plant in a smaller container in coir.

It does seem to be valid for me though as another informed me…dwc rules?

I use a 2 gallon pot to flower and veg with coir

3 Likes

I always to take other things like genetics into account. If I were to make this decision right now, I would go for 3 plants of the same genetics in 3 gal (15ltr) pots. Id rather the lesser amount of plants so it would be less work required to trim, adjust feedings if the plants reacts badly (which can still happen even with seeds from the same pack, but im my experience its more manageable). Flower time, phenotype and other variables can vary greatly so reducing the variables you can control, like number of plants, which genetics you pop, etc, can help in the long run

2 Likes

My vote’s flip to twelve-twelve, and flower in the ones.

8 Likes

6 in 1 gals is more efficient. Less veg time equals more harvests per year.

9 Likes

Yes. Always flowered in 3 gal pots.

1 Like

No. C99 and goji OG,

8 C99 3 Goji OG

4 Likes

I could put the Goji OG in 3 gal and find some space for them and flower the C99s where they sit in the 1 gal. pots.

2 Likes

I agree with @Olbrannon on this one. 1 gallon is on the small side for dirt but I’ve had quite a few plants top 5oz dry weight in a gallon of coco.
I have re-potted at up to week 3 of bloom from 1 gallon of dirt up to 3 gallons and gave them an extra 10 days to finish properly. That worked well enough :+1:

3 Likes

Are lights different in both tents? I would up pot to 3 gals enough plants to fill but not crowd the flower tent, up pot also some in the veg tent to cover the space left by the others and flower also the veg tent.

When the first batch of the previous grow is done, I would fill the flower tent with those 3 gals left on the veg tent … :sunglasses:

3 Likes

You can flower out 1gal pots just fine in fact many of my biggest plants were grown in 1gal pots. Just with smaller pots you will need to water them much more frequently to keep the root mass hydrated and avoid root issues.

7 Likes

Different perspective: soil or coco? From my experience with coco, root bound is much less issue. In fact I have never seen root bound plant in hydro (including huge mothers). On the other side with soil I’ve observed clear linear relationship between pot volume and plant size.

11 Likes

Goji in 3 gallon and use the 1 gallon for the c99 but really depends on how long you plan on vegging them . I’m becoming a big fan of beds but you have to have the space.

2 Likes

I do better with fewer bigger plants personally. But sometimes we have to do what we have to do…:+1::seedling:

5 Likes

Here’s an example grow of 1gal coco.
…around Post 34 in this thread.

The previous seven clone run was in 2gal.
Last run was the 1gal.

For me…Fewer larger plants/pots are easier than many small. And more fun to scrog.

2 Likes

personally I’d go with 3 in 3… larger plants without the 6 plant limit (most places have)… still have room(plant count not space) to germinate 3 more later down the road before the first 3 are done with flowering if space frees up…

2 Likes