Dark Devil auto or Dark Sparks auto experiences?

I wanted to ask the hive mind whether anyone has grown these out to their full potential in terms of pot size?

Like 3-5gal coco pot or so? Basically unlimited root space as far as autos are concerned…

@Mr.Sparkle has kindly provided some beans for me to run, and I wish to jam a 4x4 space full of’em, but need to know how big they get.

I could probably run as many as 9x NY City diesels or as few as 4x Whit Widow autos from experience, so their potentials are wildly different. Just hoping for a reference point.

Thanks folks,
HH

6 Likes

I made the mistake of transplanting my DD Auto’s immediately into 5 gallon buckets… But, once the roots fill the buckets, Game on!! Never seen anyone do this before. Most grow their Auto’s in much smaller pots. Anywhere from 4", to 3 gallon sizes…

3 Likes

How big did they end up getting?

2 Likes

Still growing em> Link Closetgrowth's "Dark Devil" Auto Grow! .. Seed to Flower! :)

2 Likes

When I grew mine they were in one liter containers. I got about 14 grams from each of them in that size container.

4 Likes

Not sure if this helps, but my first Autos were all from @Mr.Sparkle, in this thread…

Hopefully something in there helps you out…

Peace
DaFozz

3 Likes

15 plant(Max allowed limit) SOG!.. I like it! I like it!! :relaxed:

2 Likes

https://overgrow.com/t/toastyjakes-bud-hole-blasts-from-the-past/16846/243

2 Likes

@anon95954822! Thank you my friend; this most certainly helps me out!

I now have confirmation that 9x of them in 1gal pots will fit, and fill, my 4x4 space.

Thank you!

2 Likes

Thanks Toasty; more confirmation of reasonable size and finishing time :+1:

1 Like

I wonder if root volume is a somewhat linear relationship with yield? 4l (1 gal) is probably the pot I’ll use. 2oz per plant would be my goal, with 9 plants

1 Like

I threw a DD seed in a one gallon the other day, just to see what will happen. Not gonna transplant either…

I still believe I can build Monsters out of the 5 gallon buckets… But, they need to hurry up dammit! … haha

1 Like

@Mr.Sparkle; in your experience how many should I start to account for culling of the crinkles? I’m shooting for 9 finishing in the space.

Im no expert, but had read that with autos it’s better to have a deeper and narrow pot than a shallower and wider one of the same capacity.

2 Likes

Thanks @curiouscat, if I find some I’ll try that!

2 Likes

I am far from being an expert but a curious reader and in a recent post someone said that when transplanted, autos pause the stretching until the root expands and finds the limits, that would be longer in your case, just wondering , cheers …

4 Likes

Just got back last night from some holidays, but if youre saying 9 of the 1gals would just fit, id say around half that amount would be sufficient if watering was kept up and things went smoothly.

But id figure try starting at least 50% than what you want just to allow you to pick out the crinkles and or compensate for any duds or slow growing plants.

6 Likes

I have grown quarter pound Dark Devils in 3L containers if that helps?

Like @Mr.Sparkle said its more about keeping up on watering and having no fuck ups.

Also, I think 5gal containers are overkill for autos at least the shorter running strains. I couldn’t imagine them being able to fill that pot size. I’m sure it’s possible but probably overkill.

8 Likes

I did some dark devil x sugar black rose outdoors in 5 gallon pots and they barely used a gallon of root space, to large of a container is sort of a waste ,I’m running some now in 1 gallons to compare

2 Likes

Sure does! How much space did they take, and how much light were they under? Still undecided on the number of plants I’m gonna run lol but getting close to popping seeds.

Just dealing with outdoor that has to come down early because mold. No sun in a month now. Shitty fall for outdoor over here…

3 Likes