It’s been a while since I have posted an update on my big room so I thought I’d start a new thread detailing the changes I’ve made since the HPA setup was torn down.
To catch up you can read my previous build thread here.
Since the wife started growing in the tent I didn’t feel pressured to get the big room running again, and I was able to take my time and make sure everything was setup exactly how I wanted it.
Recirculating ebb & flow, with water depth and timing controlled by a loop siphon
8x 10 gallon medical planters from The Bucket Company
1585GPH external water pump
35 gallon reservoir
Glycol reservoir w/ Active Aqua 1/10 HP chiller and aquarium heater
The DC pump is plumbed directly to the tank outlet and then splits off. One section goes through the wall and feeds the system while the other is passed through a valve and then angled down towards the bottom of the res. Even though the pump has 10 settings the valve gives me finer control of the flow going into the system and the return pipe works to flume the water and keep things stirred up. I will be adding a venturi aerator to this secion in hopes that I can eliminate the air pump entirely.
The section that comes through the wall then passes through the two in-line filters before heading off to feed the grow beds. Also note that there are strategically-placed unions all through the supply run. This was done so that everything can be disassembled and cleaned w/o cutting a single piece of PVC. The union on the left of the next picture also allows me to change the entire supply rail if I wanted to reduce the number of grow beds.
Here’s a view looking down the supply manifold. The main line is 1" PVC that then goes to a 3/4" reducing tee before hitting the union valve on each grow bed. The spray manifolds that come w/ the system are great and will give even water coverage from above.
From above you get a good idea of the layout. Each pair of grow beds has an HLG300 mounted above them and their placement gives me a small overlap at the edges while allowing each plant to have a 3x3 space to grow in.
One nice feature of The Bucket Company is that each grow bed has a nylon bag that goes into it. This allows me to keep the medium separate without having to worry about it plugging up the drains. I went ahead and picked up the hydroton I would need to fill these. (Not looking forward to washing and pre-soaking all of this.)
Today and tomorrow I’ll be finishing up the return lines and doing initial testing of the siphon. I’ll also try and take some updated photos of the glycol reservoir.
I also do other updates over on IG @ https://www.instagram.com/superiorbuds420/
Or you can follow along with the wifey’s grow tent @ https://www.instagram.com/mrsbuds/
Really excited to get this build wrapped up and get plants back into the system.