Reduce pollination outdoors

How far is far enough to separate male from female plants outdoors to reduce the chance of cross pollination?

3 Likes

I can’t tell you exactly but I put mine about 20’ away in a bathroom with the door closed.

I don’t use a fan on my males and have also sealed off the air vent so the whole bathroom is a dead air space.

Edit: oh outdoors I see.

4 Likes

I found 20 miles isn’t safe as hemp is a cunt here but an individual plant I would put down wind as far as possible

3 Likes

In my 2021 grow, I had 15 fem photos and ended up with a few seeds from one plant. I think it was another outdoor grower in my local area of town.

You can see my yard has somewhat high walls on three sides, yet that pollen got in somehow.

That was, fwiw, the only time I’ve made seeds! HA!

2 Likes

A lot depends on location and wind direction. In an uplift condition cannabis pollen can travel
10-30 miles.

7 Likes

if you grow outside you better hope nobody is growing hemp within 50 miles of you or you have seeded pot with seeds you can’t even use. or so i’ve heard…

2 Likes

Most wind pollinated plants, the general rule is a 2 mile distance to maintain purity. Sounds like others have ran into some further reaching pollen. Any physical barriers allows for less distance.

Relative humidity will be a major factor as well…

Cheers
G

4 Likes

Cannabis pollen can Tavel many many miles with the right conditions, I gave up at my old place cuz everyone was way behind on pulling males! Then they ask why their stuff is full of beans :man_facepalming:t2:

2 Likes

Dam bees :honeybee:! :joy::joy::joy::peace_symbol:

3 Likes

In my youth I was known to travel many miles to pollinate, seems like cannabis is equally motivated.

8 Likes

Thank you all for the replies. I figured as much but was hoping. I have a male that i really like the structure of, short squat, takes my torture and abuse like a champ, put up with heat. Was going to cull but now thinking to keep him long enough to collect some pollen but dont want to sabotage everything else i have.I have some autos outdoors that are @ 12 days into flower that i dont want to get knocked up. One of my indoor tents has females just over 2 weeks flower. My other tent is in the garage and way too hot to grow, hitting 100+ degrees outside here in the desert. Thoughts? Never grown a male out on purpose for this purpose.

1 Like

Same here tried to pollinate the world….lol