Regular Males Pollinate Feminized Seeds

Theory vs Fact? Assume an extremely stable line of the following strain.
What kind of seeds will I get when the parents are:

1. Mother is an extremely stable strain named “Skunk#7” from a pack of feminized seeds from breeder in California by the name of “777 Brida”

2. Father is the same stable strain named “Skunk#7” from a pack of regular seeds from breeder in California by the name of “777 Brida”

In other words, both packs of seeds are from the same breeder who harvested hundreds of REGULAR seeds from a single regular female. That same breeder feminized half of those seeds and left the other half of those seeds regular.

I get a pack of each (i.e. one pack of regular and another pack of feminized).

If I germinate only one feminized seed and grow only that one single female from the feminized pack and pollinate only that female with the pollen from a male which is from the regular pack, will all the seeds that I harvest from that be feminized seeds or regular seeds of that “Skunk#7” from “777brida”?

3 Likes

by adding the male pollen those seed will then be photo reg of skunk#7. :alien:

4 Likes

Regular
10 characters

1 Like

They will be regular seeds. Though I have been toying with the idea of pollination time as well as temperature being a factor that may produce more female seeds then male.
This is a selective breeding window that could increase the chances of female seeds to male.

But unless a female is reversed there is no way of knowing what the ratios will be.

2 Likes

yeah. you got reg skunk#7 f2

1 Like

So then it’s conceivable and worth considering for this amazing community here at OverGrow dot com…to add a sub-program organized to pursue the mission of recreating the top twenty strains in the world as regular seeds (the 20 most highly sought after strains) to be owned by the level 2 or higher members of OverGrow.

Assuming this idea receives the blessings of the owners/admin of OverGrow (i.e. the powers that be), I would raise my hand to volunteer to write a rough draft proposal of that kind of sub-program (a specific and targeted breeding program). Some of the top strains are not available (or nearly unObtainable) as regular seeds…only feminized are sold.

I know there would emerge a lot of details to flesh out… but would you be interested in this idea in general?

If I’m allowed to organize this, it would include something like the post in the “Seeds Runs Co-op” in the “Breeder’s Lab”…
Entitled (“About the seed runs program Read before you participate”)

Similar To This

I’d post a separate thread for the sole purpose of organized voting to determine which strains are the top 20 favorites of the current members of OverGrow. Actually, even if I don’t achieve approval to create, organize and administer this breeding sub-program, I might be able to still compile the list of top 20 favorite strains of the OverGrow members. I’d run bona-fide statistical analysis on the voting data and then post a separate topic with the final talley of the voting.

1 Like

That’s pretty much OG already, only we got hundreds of top strains…

Also if Unobtanium is only released as a fem where will you get the Unobtanium male from?

8 Likes

How’s this list from half baked for a start :laughing:

1. Some growers that don’t sell seeds might come out of the closet to confess that they’ve been storing regular seeds of the unObtanium seeds (or extremely close like maybe 90% close, as a hypothetical example).

OR

1. We (OverGrow members) would, as part of this sub-program, work together to breed seeds that might get us very close on the male side. Many feminized seeds have (in the description) details disclosing the ancestral lineage of that feminized strain.

OR

1. I notice a lot of brilliant people in this OG membership. If some of them join this proposed sub-program, great solutions will be birthed through think-tank style brainstorming. Such that if we can’t produce a 100% exact seed, we should be able to get super close…even 90% or even 98% exact match for some of the top 20 strains in the world

What an amazing thing it would be if OverGrow members possessed regular seeds of all 20 of the most highly sough after genetics in the world. That goal is at least worth considering.

2 Likes

This is pretty much the goals of the preservation thread, somebody offers up something old or rare to be preserved , a qualified and able person runs them if the provider can’t and then they make there way out to the community. This allows people to offer up what they want and discussions about what should be made a priority to take place. There has been some success and some downfalls with the goals. There is also the freakers a small group within this site already formed and working towards what you are promoting,
I’m not trying to discourage your efforts just thinking that they what your looking to creat is already taking place :+1:

7 Likes

Yeah, that’s a good start that will help to set up the voting system. It has 257 posts in that topic so it’s not organized to give us the members opinion on the top 20. The top 20 list that I propose would be pinned and have only 1 post with the finalized list.

Maybe the owners of OG would postpone their decision to let me (or not) organize/administer the proposed breeding sub-program until after everyone sees the finalized top 20 list and the methodology of building that list.

1 Like

The existing preservation breeding programs can run parallel (simultaneous) to this one. This one has some significant differences.
One difference is that this new proposal is not a preservation effort. Rather it’s an effort to provide OG members with easy access to regular seeds of strains that are offered only as feminized because they are so valuable and not just strains that need preservation efforts to avoid extinction. I realize that avoiding extinction is more important so this proposed breeding program would always be subordinate to the existing preservation programs.

The methodology for determining the targeted strains will give us 2 important differences.

1. it’s a more accurate representation of what members think the top 20 strains are, based on what they’ve actually smoked.

2. the top 20 list does not have a bias toward preserving older strains which might be threatened by extinction. The top 20 list might have some great old-school strains but it might also have some incredible hybrids from after 2000.

I think the existing breeding programs here in OG are beautiful missions that I hope will never end. This new proposal is a great supplement and very complementary to the existing breeding programs. One is not necessarily better than the other…in fact they are synergistic in that together the members have another awesome resource and another beautiful pursuit.

1 Like

It will def be neat to see some more preservation runs in the works , it’s always nice to see what comes out of the wood work.
I would love to see somebody bring the Big Sur holy weed strain back into the community. Not the Bodhi version but the original , somebody has to have a giant film canister of those seeds somewhere :weary:

3 Likes

Big Sur holy weed…I have never smoked that one. Tell us what it’s like so we can drewl as we imagine it.

The few times I ever got any it was predominantly purple buds with a musky wild spice smell but with a sweeter smoother taste then you would expect from how it smelled. Rumored to be a old Mexican purple strain or poss a cross of it to a afghan , idk it’s one of those mysterious strains , it originated from one of the older weed growing hermits of coastal California. Nothing that is incredibly strong by today’s standards but a interesting strain that would be neat to see back in circulation.

You’re already allowed to create topics with polls embedded in the thread for people to vote on… or just ask people to vote by responding to a thread. I don’t think you need to ask approval for doing a preservation run, or multiple runs, outside the co-op if you choose to. Usually, the hard part of a preservation run is finding the seeds worth preserving. :wink: Anyway, kinda seems like you’re trying to reinvent the wheel… but wheels are cool, and yes, we mostly like wheels here. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Not really seeing the need for any kind of sub-program as you call it. Already many seed runs and preservation runs going on in public and in private. Many of these to reproduce seeds from overpriced and sought after strains. The idea you are proposing is already happening.

5 Likes

@Heritagefarms
Its always been told to.me that big Sur holy weed was zacastecas purple crossed with mazar sharif

1 Like

Sounds very possible, the zacastecas purple was definitely a part of it, some say it was that pure but I I’m almost positive is was a cross like you say.

Here is the freakers ball list of strains to preserve @fastarkid